Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy is going in for the snip snip on Monday morning. I have a few questions.

- What should i expect when i get him home? He is going in at 7am and i am picking him up at 3pm

I have never had a dog before so anyone who has gone through the process any help will be great.

Also he is almost 6 months old and he weighs about 21 lbs already. He is about 11 tall.

Is his weight on track?

I have heard dogs gain weight after the surgery. My vet thinks he will just fill out now and he has had his major growth spurt but everyone says they keep growing until 1 year and he is 21 lbs already.

Here is the most recent pics of him taken last night.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/mark52479/Buddy/IMG_0066.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/mark52479/Buddy/IMG_0067.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Expect a groggy doggy following the surgery. Lots of sleeping for him Monday evening and night. He should start to perk back up the next day and be back to normal in a few days.

He looks fine in his pictures, weight-wise; I think my boy beagle was about that weight when he was that same size. Be sure you're following the recommended feeding amount for his weight, don't feed too many high-fat treats, and ensure he's got plenty of exercise, and he should be fine.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yup, he is going to be very sleepy. Of course, Coco wasn't. He hated the e-collar and was anxious all evening (i think he knew). By the next day, he should be back to normal. One thing the Vet told just no jumping around because he could pop a stitch and lots of exercise to avoid weight gain after recovery

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies.

Since they were sleepy and no jumping around for a couple of days did you guys hold back on some of their food and only feed a little?

Also did they use the real stitches or the new disposable ones they have out now. I forgot what my vet said he was going to use.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
All the best on Monday. He is lovely

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All the best to Buddy! Our Buzz was neutered in the fall - he was a bit sleepy the night of the surgery but really by the next morning you wouldn't have noticed any difference - so then keeping him from becoming too active became the focus. I really wouldn't alter his amount of food based on lower activity for only a day or so - more likely he might not be too hungry if his tummy gets a bit iffy from the surgery (although Buzz didn't have any such reaction - and he couldn't eat the night before the surgery so he was actually extra hungry)! And he did have the stitches that have to be removed - I think it probably depends somewhat on the vet and also Buzz was 2 when he was neutered and therefore I understand the surgery is a bit different when they are fully developed like he was - not sure if it might be different for a puppy.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: SpridellBuddy is now home sleeping comfortably.

The Vet used a laser and the incision is very small and he used the disolvable stitches.
Glad it went well. I am impress about the laser surgery, you can hardy tell. I wish him a speedy recovery

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted By: jassyI'll bet he is happy to be home. The cone is almost as big as he is.
You should of seen the one the Vet put on him. It was twice the size of that one. I bought this one at the store its much more comfortable for him.

He is still a little out of it but getting better. The vet gave him a 36 hour seddative and its just starting to wear off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Charlie is overdue for his neuter. I have to schedule it this week. Luckily, my work could care less if I bring a dog into the office, so his recovery will be spent in my office

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's great Buddy is feeling better.
Laser surgery is awesome, they used laser when Chloe was spayed. Unbelieveably small incision and speedy recovery.

to Buddy!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Buddy is super cute! Hope he is feeling better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's now been almost 3 days and he is acting like nothing ever happened. I put the cone on and he rips that thing off in 2 minutes.

The hardest thing is trying to keep him from not running around too much. He hasnt had much exercise the last 3 days so it's all built up and he is going nuts. He is used to walking 3 miles a day and playing catch. I think tomorrow i will call the vet and ask if i can start walking him again.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Poor Buddy...I know that a beagle not being outside doing his stuff is not a beagle. I do hope he recovers quick so that he can enjoy himself again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts