Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what happened: I have a dogpark within the complex I live in, Buddy was inside the dogpark playing with other dogs..then this guys comes onto the property with a prohibited breed so I knew he was a visitor (he had a German Shepherd). So the guy walks by our dogpark and the German Shephard pulled his owner by the dogpark near the entrance of the dog park..it's fenced..wooden picket fence so there are small gaps in between. Buddy sees this german shepherd and goes to the entrance gate to sniff him...this german shepherd went crazy and grabbed Buddy's face through the fence, pulled him a little through the fence and off the ground. He ended up puncturing Buddy's cheek and cutting Buddy's lip, as well as ripping a small portion of Buddy's gum with his tooth!! So Buddy is screaming(really made my heart stop) and blood is gushing out of his little mouth. I ran to him, grabbed him to see what happened, as soon as I saw the blood I grabbed him, ran to my car and floored it to the nearest Vet hospital. The other guy just had said that his dog had all it's shots and took off..but I was rushing off too to the vet. I have been sorta successful tracking him down..I know what neighborhood and apartment building he lives in..but the leasing manager won't give me his apartment number. I have a contact number more or less..which belongs to that guy's friend so it's been phone tag for a little while. I may have to take him to court for him to reimburse me the $1300 in vet bills for Buddy's stitches and reconstruction of his lacerated gum...plus the cost of this special soft food I've had to buy from the Vet themselves. Buddy is doing fine now..got his stitches taken out and all. Still hyper and wants to play with people and other dogs..which is good. Problem is that whatever I had trained him..like where to go potty..sit..stay..the basics..all went right out the door! So now I have to re-teach him all. He also does a lot of leash pulling..my shoulders really are starting to hurt..he now weighs 20lbs and is 7 months old too. I have pulled back on the leash..did the stepping just on the leash (he has a harness so it's not around his neck)but he still goes crazy hyper and pulls the leash. I don't know how to make him stop doing that. I don't want to end up getting surgery for my rotator cups for my shoulders. Any advice??

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I would ask all these questions to your vet. They're the ones that did surgery so they know his condition, and any limits or restrictions that he should follow, as well as any behaviour or actions that could impede his healing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Beagles are notorious leash pullers. Once your vet gives you the all clear, I would recommend professional obedience training...either the ones you attend WITH Buddy or something for just him--whatever you prefer.

Good luck with the vet bills. People with dogs like that shouldn't get off scott free.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Poor Buddy! At least he still likes other dogs. I would research some obedience training...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow. That had to be such a horrible experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I don't have any advice in the situation, but I wish you the best of luck with getting Buddy back to normal and getting that man to court.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm so sorry Buddy, and you, had to go through this. Pretty much the same thing happened to my Li'l Girl last year when a neighbor's pit bull grabbed her face through the fence. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif Fortunately, her gum wasn't lacerated, but she had stitches and a drain tube.

Since we live on acreage, and the dogs have a large area to run, I don't have advice about the pulling. Happily, they exercise themselves. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts