Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My boyfriend,son, and I will be bringing home buddy who we are getting from a friend of ours who was trying to find home for him for their daughter since she just had a new baby with medical problems home.Buddy is very hiper and still has the puppy in him, he is 1 1/2 yrs old. he likes to chew on people shoes, jump on you, and also he trys to bolt out the door while someone is getting ready to go somewheres .I need some opions on how to break him of the habits. before our friends took him in until they found him a home they found out he was abused before their daughter even took him by if a male yells at him for doing something wrong he crouches down to the ground but he does not do that with any female .

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! A lot of what you describe are beagley/puppy issues. The fact that Buddy was abused makes training more complicated. If you have some time, browse in the discussion forum. You will see many helpful threads there. There was a very recent one about a member's pup bolting outside whenever the door was opened -- lots of helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with Judy. When I was reading your post I kept saying to myself... normal, normal, normal and normal. Those are all traits of Beagles. Your job will be in curbing those less then desirable behaviors into something more manageable.

Be prepared to enter some serious twice a day training with him. Get a clicker, good treats and have lots of patience. You will get a handle on these issues in no time. But it's unlikely they will stop all together.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke and Violet are the same age. We just got Vi 3 months ago and it's amazing how many traits she and Duke have in common. Duke has mellowed big-time since he was a pup, but he still has his Dennis the Menace streak in him (though I have to admit, I love that part of his personality).

You will be able to manage some things, but it will take time and consistency and with prior abuse, you'll have to go even more slowly and give a ton of positive reinforcement. The good news is, Buddy will bring you so much joy and entertainment and fun that all the work will be worth it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much I will be working with him alot. I had a black lab since he was a pup and i trained but buddy has different habits. my lab got hit by a drunk driver. He listened to me until my boyfriend would come home from work then he would just tone me out completely.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome!!! And good luck! We adopted our two at 2 yrs old and still had some of those problems.
But I will say, it does get better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts