·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Poor guy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Bud has been dealing with thyroid issues. We had upped his supplements from one a day to one in the morning and a half in the evening. He had a follow up on 9-11 but they weren’t seeing an improvement. This, along with his weight loss was cause for concern. Even though he had lost weight he still has a significant roll around his belly. They only have a partial staff on Saturdays so arrangements were made to drop him off last Thursday for a more comprehensive exam. They discover that his liver numbers were off. Unsure of what the problems are a referral was made for an ultrasound which occurred yesterday. They took a sample of his liver for testing but the early diagnosis is Cushings. He goes back to the vet tomorrow for more testing to confirm it.

At least they didn’t have to sedate him for the ultrasound.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Please let us know the outcome and what treatment/Rx he will be getting.
Hoping for a good report.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh I hope you can find some answers! I believe Cushings can cause weight changes too? (I could be way off on that)

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the verdict is in and it is Cushings along with a urinary infection. I have some antibiotics for the infection twice a day until gone and then a follow up. The Vet prefers not to medicate for the Cushings unless there are other issues, such as diabetes, due to the nature of the drugs and possible side effects. His water intake and peeing may likely increase but as long as its not an issue it's not with worrying about. I did ask if diet/food would make any difference and she said no. Apparently the meds used to treat Cushings are derived from a pesticide so they are reluctant to prescribe them.

My biggest fear was that it may have been cancer.

He's now at 24.8 pounds. He's slimming down for you Cassie !!!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
24.8? Cassie here.. Ah oh Im 26.5. Ill get a new weigh-in next week since Im getting my check up and teeth cleaned.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How's he been feeling?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Cassie here... Hows my snuggle bunny? I weighed in at 24.6 lbs so i think we can fit in that bed..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buddy is doing really well. His energy level has increased which is fine except when he walks over me at 3:00 am cause he wants to go out. It wouldn't bother me except I got a case of Covid and I would prefer to sleep through the night. I'm doing fine. My doc prescribed Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, and a couple of other drugs. You know, the stuff that the FDA says doesn't work. In this entire city there is only one Pharmacy that would fill it. I just feel tired and drained. the worst part about Covid is the loss of taste and smell. It's a sensation that can't be described. As a result I've had no hunger and I've dropped just over 20 pounds in the last two weeks.

I need to make an appointment for a follow up for Bud with his vet.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I hope you get better soon! That sounds miserable. I can only imagine.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Oh so sorry to hear you got sick. Hope you have a speedy recovery and back to your old self. Glad Buddy is good too.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Cassie told Natty Boh and Natty Boh told me, that you were sick. (Joann, may have played a small part.) Praying for a full and speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts