Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Buddy has gotten into the habbit of destroying all of his stuffed toys. He get his toy and sits there and tries to rip all the stuffing out.

Is this just a phase they go through? He is almost 7 months old, gets plenty of exercise. I walk him about 3-4 miles a day and he gets the run of the yard. He has his bully chews that he loves so I dont know why he needs to rip his stuffed toys tp pieces.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sad to say, I don't think this is something Buddy will outgrow. My two are approaching 2 years old (how time flies!) and still de-stuff every stuffed toy they get. It may take a few months if it's one of the canvas toys, but eventually it happens. They also de-stuffed my comforter this weekend. Beagles are just hard chewers.

Mine do really well with knuckle bones from the grocery, Nylabones, and squeaky canvas toys (they can cost $10-15 apiece, but they last much, much longer than other stuffed toys), but everything wears out and has to be replaced eventually. When I come home from the pet store with a new toy to replace the latest one they've destroyed or worn out, my boyfriend gives me a look, and I remind him that at least we don't have to put the beagles through college. That seems to make him feel a bit better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the average life span of a stuffed toy in our house is 1 hour and 10 minutes.
it takes one our and 8 minutes for champ to get through throwing it all over, and then 2 minutes to de stuff once he decides to start chewing!!!!
what we do is wait and watch until the disembowelment begins, then we cop the toy, de stuff it ourselves into the garbage can, and give him back the skin. he plays with that a little longer, then leaves it.
there is ONE little stuffed toy they have not gutted YET. it looks like a little porcupine, and is squeeks when they bite it.
now mind you many of thier toys have squeeked and such, but i can tell this one has a little different pitch. and they each take turns running after the other ones with this in their mouth, taunting each other, and squeeking it on purpose.
it is hilarious.

so, now i buy stuffed toys at the goodwill, or yard sales, and the beagles arent discriminant about what it looks like. i just bought 4 for a buck at a yard sale a couple weekends ago. but beware the beanie babies, they make a horrible mess!!!

C.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Pooh Bear is 9 years old, and the object of the game is pulling out all the stuffing. If we get him a stuffed toy, he hurriedly pulls out all the stuffing and the sqeeker if there is a sqeeker. There are some stuffed animals at Petsmart that he wasn't able to de-stuff. They are made of heavy duty canvas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shiloh's best destroy time is about 10 minutes. I've bought him all different kinds of stuffed toys and he's destroyed every one. He takes all the stuffing out and then he brings it to you for you to throw for him. He will play fetch but not until he's taken all the stuffing out. We call those his road kill toys!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cassidy has yet to form that habit, hope she doesn't. But, that's why I buy all her toys from the Dollar General we have here in Florida, they have GREAT toys and they last longer then the ones in other places. She just likes to chew her toys and throw them around, not murder...lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We no longer waste money on stuffed toys! Black Kongs have even been destroyed in this house! Nylabones and steel
are about the only things that don't get destroyed....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy i guess I am in for it then after reading all these posts. I just went to the store and got a toy that has no stuffing in it. So i am going to see how this one works out.

thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mine all like old tennis shoes, boots, and mits.
you can buy all these at the second hand store, or use your old stuff. but they are generally leather and last a long time.
C

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm lucky if a stuffed toy makes it more than 5 min. Rope toys are lucky to make it more than 15 min or so. Kongs work really well with Colby because he is more focused on the food then the actual Kong.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I know this has been posted before, but for inexpensive stuffed toys, shop online at PetEdge. Their prices are so reasonable, you don't minds so much that they only last a short time!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the one i just go he destroyed this one in 35 minutes. And the people at the store said it was one of their strongest they have.

Yeah ok not for a beagle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My puppy destroys toys really quickly too! There's one toy that she is particularly fond of, so I sew it back up everytime she rips it up (every 2-3 days of so). Otherwise, I just throw out the toys she breaks. I have a huuuge sack of old stuffed toys I have from younger kids that outgrew them, so it's a really inexpensive way to keep her happy. She goes through one toy every week or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was so sick of picking up stuffing. I found a stuffed pig at my local little pet food store that is TOUGH. It has something like 7 layers of different materials. It has so far not seen a scratch, dent or tear (bought it yesterday), and he plays with it alot. He's even dragged it around outside.

mydogtoy.com is stitched on the bottom. I haven't checked out the website at all but I am glad I bought the pig.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie loves to unstuff toys. I just buy the cheap ones from PetEdge. Also after a holiday, Petsmart and Petco mark their holiday toys way down. I bought a bunch of Christmas toys for 75% off. Maggie unstuffed a Christmas tree a few days ago. I also buy the toys from mydogtoy.com. Maggie can destroy them but it takes quite a while.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally Posted By: SpridellRecently Buddy has gotten into the habbit of destroying all of his stuffed toys. He get his toy and sits there and tries to rip all the stuffing out.

Is this just a phase they go through? He is almost 7 months old, gets plenty of exercise. I walk him about 3-4 miles a day and he gets the run of the yard. He has his bully chews that he loves so I dont know why he needs to rip his stuffed toys tp pieces.
It's funny how much our two beagles are alike. Bodie too gets long daily walks and has lots of space during the day to play. He was around 7 months old when he started really tearing into his toys. We've tried buying these super durable $20 toys to find them coming apart in an hour or two. At this point we're just staying clear of stuffed toys and sticking to rawhide, rubber, bones, etc. When he gets older and more mature we might revisit those types of toys. But for now it's just too costly of a proposition to continue doing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, yesterday I went and got him one of those $20 durable toys. It was shredded to pieces in about 35 minutes.

Just started doing this too. Almost 7 months old and didnt have any problems with his toys until this point. He loves loves loves bully sticks. I can give him one and he will sit there for 3 hours and just chew on it. He hates the rubber and nylon bones. He hates the kongs too.

So right now i am sticking with bully sticks and the twigs he likes to chew on outside.

·
Registered
326 Posts
haha Charlie does/did this too, however seeing they love stuffing so much, I had a broken zipper on a sofa pillow, and allowed for them to have it , I hide a ball way inside,we re-stuff approx 5 times or more they love it, not to mention when it's all cleaned up and put away in a closet when they want it again they cry at the closet to play with it. I must say it saved on buying so many stuffed animals that were ripped apart.

try it!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker ignores toys entirely but the other three are all expert destuffers... Popcorn always eats their ears and little bits off first, then goes for the kill. Buzzy just basically kills and chomps through anything in the way to get the stuffing out.

Moosie is the most scientific about it - his favourite stuffed toys are the squirrels that go in the tree trunk with holes and his process to destruction with them is as follows (1) run around the house with it in your mouth squeaking wildly (2) settle down with it, flip it over and lick its belly (3) flip it back over the other way, make a small hole in its back, and (4) pull ALL the stuffing out with your little front teeth!

So basically we buy cheap stuffed toys (the replacement squirrels are great - we buy them in bulk) - I know they are going to be destroyed (and FAST if Buzz gets them first), but it is so clear that Moosie in particular gets enormous enjoyment out of the whole process that we just go with the flow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts