Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night I had to take Buddy to the ER. It was late and it was the only option I had. I had gone to bed and had tossed Buddy onto it like normal. I dozed off for a short while and when I woke up his breathing was off. I listened to him him and wondered if it was simply the way he was lying down. I had him get up, walk around, and put him back. No change. I considered whether to wait till the morning or take him to the ER. It was midnight so my options were limited. I grabbed him and off we went. When I checked him in and explained my concerns they had a tech check him immediately. He wasn't critical so they had us wait while I completed the paperwork and they came and got him. Since it was so late the lobby was closed and we waited in the car. After maybe 20 minutes they came out and got him. They then called me and discussed his issues and concerns. They checked him out and called regarding keeping for the night and the tests to run. I gave them permission and headed back home. It was going to be a couple of hours before they would have any results. It was 3:am when I hit my bed. My phone rang at about 5:30. They did chest X-rays and blood tests. His liver and kidney enzymes were elevated and his blood pressure was elevated. They then suggested an echocardiogram since he did have a heart murmur. The result is that he has left atrial enlargement and mitral regurgitation. That's from their paperwork. So now he's on more medication. Pimobendan and Amlopine.

So later that day they called and I talked to the Vet. She said to watch his diet and keep it low sodium. I picked him up a couple of hours later when I had a chance and went back to the shop. Sitting on my desk was part of a cheese steak sandwich I was going to take home from dinner. I stepped out for a short time and when I came back the wrapper was on the floor, shredded, and the sandwich was missing. Apparently he didn't get the memo re his diet

So Buddy is back home and doing much better. Looks like our long evening walks, however, are now a thing of the past. Just up and around the block.

They wanted a follow up after a couple of weeks so I stopped by his regular Vet this evening and arranged it.

I will definitely keep everyone updated.

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
Oh no! So glad he is home with you now. Bad boy eating that sandwich!!! It's so hard when they aren't well. Oliver is having issues and no more long walks for him either.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Goodness! Hope he's feeling better. Other than that sandwich where would he get food with sodium? Is he not only eating dog food? Or eating human things like cheese and other goodies?
Keep us posted, Cassie is concerned.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your concerns. He seems to be much better. To answer Cassie’s question Buddy receives almost no human food. I do give him a small taste once in a while but I keep it real small. Otherwise it’s just his kibble, an occasional milk bone, and chicken jerky from Costco. The jerky I always break up into small pieces.

I had asked when I picked him up Tuesday if this was common. I meant regarding senior dogs in general but she answered that they do see it in Beagles and it hits them at about his age.

BTW he did get shaved again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How traumatic for you and Buddy! Buddy needed one last binge of steak and cheese before he started his careful low sodium diet. Good he has an appetite (Ally had periods during her illnesses with no appetite -probably I mentioned). I'm also on amlodipine for blood pressure and on low-sodium diet. Tell Buddy to stay away from potato chips :) or get the low salt kind.

Meds should delay onset of worse heart problems and make Buddy feel a lot better. His valve issue is the most common naturally-occurring heart problem in dogs.

There's a study showing that a cardiac protective diet of nutrients that included medium-chain triglycerides for energy instead of fat from beef (which is what is usually in dog kibble); long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (usually from fish oil); lysine and methionine (carnitine precursors); vitamin E (an antioxidant); magnesium; and taurine were found to decrease left atrial enlargement. I don't know how expensive the kibble would be or what stage Buddy is at (B, B1, B2) but here is the link to the study if you want to take it to your vet and ask if diet would help.

I'm an obsessive researcher, so I'm not offended if you are rolling your eyes (plus I work in human clinical trials). Thanks for sharing all the info, I enjoyed finding out something new on a boring Friday (when I'm reading this).

I am glad Buddy's condition can be treated!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm an obsessive researcher, so I'm not offended if you are rolling your eyes (plus I work in human clinical trials). Thanks for sharing all the info
I really appreciate the insight and information. I will look into that study. I was, obviously, extremely concerned Monday/Tuesday and I still am. I did ask the ER Vet if i should change his kibble and she said it wasn't necessary. He goes in to see his regular Vet this coming Thursday so I'll ask her about it. I had already recently changed his kibble anyway. I was giving him Natural Balance Low Calorie (Fat Dog) and went to Blue Life Protection / Heavy Weight. It was due to inventory issues and trying to find the Natural Balance.

This is what I like about this forum. I have looked at different Beagle Facebook pages but it really isn't a practical for researching and obtaining information such as this. Yes, people discuss it but you have to weed out a lot to try and find anything. I feel that forums such as this are much more user friendly and practical.

So for now Buddy is on more meds than I am. It's still only been several days so I'm sure it will take a little time for them to fully take effect.

He's currently rattling his food bowl. I just gave him some. Now he's barking. He still has his appetite.

And Yes Cassie. I'll get you a picture.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Oh my goodness! Buddy!!!! I am so glad he's home and doing better. Oh man. When I logged on I sure wasn't thinking I'd read that he was unwell - he seems like he's been on a roll lately with losing weight and what have you - thank goodness. I'm glad you took him to the ER and that he's being seen by your regular vet as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Buddy did have a follow up appointment with his Vet a few days later. I had left him for the day to give them plenty of time to check him over. His BP was considerably lower though still a little on the high side. He stated that was not unexpected since it can be stressful at the clinic and there was a patient next to Bud who was whimpering quite bit. Other wise he was much better. We did discuss several issues and concerns I had. Since he is dealing with multiple issues, his thyroid, Cushing's, and his heart, any or all are likely starting to affect him. We are keeping him on his current meds. I did ask about a possible diet change and he issued a prescription for Hill's H/D Rx. Has anyone used this or know anything about it? Hill's H/D Rx. It's kind of pricey, of course, and I would probably have to order it online.

Right now the little guy is curled up in his bed. We went to the dog park this morning like we always do on the weekends. I think he overdid it a bit and is tuckered out.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Oh gosh...hope he's ok. Maybe park activities may be too much for him..especially if its warm and humid.. i dont know anything about the Hills varieties except the vets have stacks of it in their facilities. I looked it up on google and apparently its formulated for dogs w heart issues..like low sodium etc.
Keep us posted..cassie sends kisses..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm not sure about the food either - but keep on updating us. I hope Buddy's recovered from his dog park adventures.

It's so good to hear he's improving!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts