Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed Bindi limping the other day so I picked her up and checked her legs and seen that her nail was half out and pointing about 45 degrees to the right. There was a build up of blood and dirt. I cleaned it out with water and then some human antiseptic liquid (I called the vet beforehand and he approved using it). She was still runing around and playing so it didnt seem like a major issue.
I took her into the vet the next day and he clipped the nail abit and bandaged her leg (cost $95...) and said to come back in a week to see if the nail straightens out. The bandage lasted less than a day before she ripped it all off... Tomorrow i am due to go back and see the vet to check up on the nail. Will i be charged (for nothing) again on a checkup? The nail is still bent out, so i am unsure how it is meant to heal? Has this happened to anyone else? Should the nail be removed? Should i be worried about infections?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmmm... I've never dealt with a broken nail like that before. As far as your vet charging you, well, I think that just depends on the vet. There have been several times that we've taken our pups into our vet and he hasn't charged us for the visit, just the blood work, etc. You could probably call and ask though.

I think the vet will be able to tell you better if anything else needs to be done with the nail. I would think it would eventually grow out and heal.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used to have a terrier mix that had nail issues. I would notice one of her nails sticking out sideways, then it would come off and bleed like heck. She would lick her paw quite a bit, as well as clean up any blood on the floor. Her nails were weird..instead of the hardness, inside of the outer shell they were soft and kind of crumbly.

Anyway, the vet said it was probably a fungal thing, much like humans get. I just lived with it...random nails would do the same thing...suddenly I would notice one sticking out at an odd angle, and then it would 'shed'...ie, the whole outer nail fell off. All that was left was the meat. Then the licking, cleaning, healing. I stopped going to the vet about it.. and just let nature take its course. I never experienced any problems with infections after the meat was exposed. A new nail would grow just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts