Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Caesar for a walk tonight and everything seemed normal until we got home and my husband noticed that Caesars paw had blood on it. He wasn't paying any attention to it yet and wasn't limping or anything. We examined it and realized that he had broken one of his nails very short. By now he was licking it clean and we got a good look at it. You can see the little red dot in the centre of his nail. How could he brake it like that? It has stopped bleeding now. I'm going to call his vet tomorrow because I don't know if it's okay to walk him like that or can it get infected? I'll keep an eye him.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've had that happen on occasion with dogs in the past. Unless it doesn't stop bleeding soon it will be fine. As Joe said, just keep an eye on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That happened to our Sam on a walk once; he actually stepped on a piece of glass that cut his nail to the quick. We were advised by the vet to dip his paw in betadine once a day until the nail started to grow out, to prevent infection.

He had a bronze-stained paw for a while, but the nail grew back without any problems.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I've heard of using candle wax to staunch bleeding nails but if it's not actively bleeding, I agree. Keep and eye on it and the betadyne dip isn't a bad idea either.

Good luck.

~Denise

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used to have a dog with 'toenail issues'....they would occasionally detach from the quick and the entire thing would come off. I never did anything special - she kept it clean by licking it, as well as licked up any drips on the floor! I think she had some kind of fungus that caused this, but I never did anything to treat it since it wasn't a huge problem.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Abouta week before Hurricane Ike hit...we noticed that Bailey was licking her nail...we looked at it and it was completly gone...just the red quick was showing......Then 2 days before Ike hit, another one came off....that was a Red Flag.....I took her to the Vets office that was preparing to shut down and board up the windows....and vet gave me a long name as to what she had....but in just plain english...it is called 20 nail disease....she was put on Prednisone.....and we had to bath her feet everyday in some meds that the vet gave me.....It takes about 3 months for all the nails to come off....I felt soooo bad for her.....she was constantly licking her feet.....and sometimes just yelp out loud.......It is Audoimmune and she could get it again.....some of he nails have come out curling...And I am taking her to the vet this thursday to get them cut....It has takin that long to loose them and grow them back from nothing.....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally Posted By: ktvThat happened to our Sam on a walk once; he actually stepped on a piece of glass that cut his nail to the quick. We were advised by the vet to dip his paw in betadine once a day until the nail started to grow out, to prevent infection.

He had a bronze-stained paw for a while, but the nail grew back without any problems.
There was a broken beer bottle on the path we were walking. I thought we walked around it but maybe he did step on some glass?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts