Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was playing with Elvis, wrestling with him to get his ball that he loves to fetch (but not let go). While I was tugging on the ball with him I noticed my fingers were bloody...I checked my hands to see if he had accidentally bit me, but then saw the blood all over the ball. I pried Elvis' mouth open to find that one of his front incisors looked to be broken off (I could still see white-tooth in the hole that was left.)

He is 4 and a half months old, and I think it's time he starts losing some of his baby teeth, but it just worried me to see blood in his mouth...is this a common way for puppies to lose their teeth? He is in no noticeable pain whatsoever and still wanted to play at full speed.

What would yall do?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Puppy teeth begin to shed and be replaced by permanent adult teeth at about four months of age so that's probably what it is. I would give a call to the vet anyway just to see what they say.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think the white that you saw in the "whole" is the new tooth coming out. I wouldn't worry about it, but you should call the vet just to be on the safe side.

It is the time they start changing baby teeth.... your little boy is growing... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our kid started losing his at about 4 months, and was done by 6 months. This is the time when they start growing very fast! Take lots of puppy pictures, he won't be so little for long. We could actually tell whenever he was about to lose one, our older beagle would go digging in his mouth to try to steal the tooth from him.

·
Registered
250 Posts
yup its normal... dieses is loosing the last of his teeth.. i acctually found one on the floor. he plays like that too and he did have a tooth fall out and it bled...but only for a min...

·
Registered
751 Posts
absolutely normal. You will see blood from time to time depending on how the tooth came out. And normally, you will see the other tooth growing in below.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's perfectly normal. Jersey used to bleed when her puppy teeth fell out too. The white you see is just the new tooth breaking through.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was wondering about broken teeth also. Beagle Lillie has a chip in her incisior and while I am going to ask the vet when she gets her shots next month, I have worried if they get cavities like humans do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank yall for the responses! He is doing absolutely fine, and it definitely hasn't slowed him down in the least bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts