Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we aren't going to get Lucky after all. But the good news is, it does look like we're going to get Violet! She is adorable and looks exactly like Duke, especially in her face!

She is a rescue that is at a shelter in LA. Though we still have to drive 3-1/2 hours to get her, from all they know about her, she will be a great fit for us and for Duke. But they only know so much because she was a stray that is at a shelter. They said she is smart, playful and very sweet. She gets along with other dogs really well and they are cat testing her before we pick her up on Sunday. She was spayed today, so she'll be over the worst of it by then. She's a year old. They took her on a leash, but said they couldn't tell if she had been leash trained because she only wanted to sniff everything! Lol, sounds like a beagle.

We have to take Duke with us to pick her up, they have to make sure they get along. So that means a long car trip for both of them (hopefully). I plan to buy car seat belts, so any suggestions on types or brands is welcome. I will not have two newly introduced beagles spazzing out in the back seat while we're driving. LOL

They have no idea if she's housetrained because right now, she's been held in the shelter's kennels. Any tips on training older dogs? Same routine as with pups? Also, what should I do to make her feel at home and comfortable? Let Duke and her play all the time, or give her some alone time until she gets used to him?

Any tips for acclimating a rescue to our zoo would be appreciated. All of our animals were babies when we brought them home, so we're in new territory now and we want to handle it as well as we can. Thanks!

Here's a picture of Violet. As long as everything goes ok, she'll be with us on Sunday!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry, I have no advice to give. Jersey is technically a rescue, but she was just a puppy when I got her. Violet is a gorgeous girl though! Congratulations and good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Violet is gorgeous!! I hope everything works out for the best and you get her.
I can't give any advice on her settling with Duke at home, but I would suggest that you check before hand with the rescue group, if she is good on rides. If they don't know, you better take a dremamine/bonine pill with you, and give it to her an hour before the ride back home.
1 pill (25mg) is good for a 20 lb dog (vet told me).

Good luck

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh she is adorable! I can't really give you any good advice - tho I've had many rescues in my life - I think I've been extremely lucky. The adults I've brought into the pack here, I've just kept separate for about a day - and let them get acquainted through the fence - one at a time (you have to remember I have a sizeable pack here - and they can be overwhelming). Since you're taking Duke with you and can introduce them on essentially neutral territory, that is good. Other rescues I've had through the years (before I became a beagle nut), I just brought in and introduced and they got along well (as I said, I've been extremely lucky). I tend to take these things rather matter-of-factly and not make a big deal out of and it usually goes very well.
Violet is a beautiful little lady and should be an asset to your pack. Good luck with her. I'm sure she and Duke will get along very well. I seem to remember Sandy had similar concerns about geting another rescue, but her Jack has been a real sweetheart and has helped Sweetie get over some of her issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good luck for Saturday.

For the journey can you crate one of them in the car?

When we brought our Rescues home we introduced them on neutral ground then came in the house together.
We were lucky as we did not have any major problems.
If she needs housetraining do it the same way as a puppy ie. go out with her and watch her then lots of praise when she performs.
Do not be suprised if she is quiet when she comes home as it usually takes a couple of weeks for their personality to start to show.
Let her take things at her own pace and try not to rush her as she will probably be very confused and might not have been inside a house before.Also be careful around food and keep them seperate when feeding until you know how they behave.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have only had shelter dogs and everyone has been an angel. Training has been easy for me...but maybe I got lucky. I just took them out every 1/2 hour for the first few weeks and they seemed to just get it....
I have only had one other dog at the same time which is where I am now, but they got along from the start. I think a male/female combo works the best. Good luck and she is a beauty!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Though you may be (justifiably) tired after such a long car ride, one suggestion I would give is to go on a long walk together when you get home before you enter the house for the first time. That way you can introduce her to her potty place and give her a layout of her neighborhood (and its new smells!). Plus, the more energy and excitement you can drain before entering her new home, the better for her in those first (possibly) anxious moments inside.

And congrats on your impending rescue!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Patience, understanding, and persistence. Some rescues (not all) come with odd behaviors that you won’t understand. Greyhounds, for instance, when they're straight from the track, have never even been in a house before. They have no idea what it is to be a pet and family member. (But they are just as naturally affectionate as beagles.)
When things come up, try to think of what it might have been in their former life that conditioned this behavior into them, reverse it, and try to condition it out of them. Our Sparky, was overly possessive and protective of things. Food, toys, etc. He would take it out on Sadie by snapping at her. (I think it actually hurt her feelings. The other dogs that she knew all shared with each other.) At first, he also acted very suspicious of our affection. Through watching that and some other odd behaviors, we think that Sparky may have been starved and left to fend for himself before entering the adoption system. Maybe crated, penned, or tied out for long periods of time without any attention. Besides feeding them in separate rooms, etc., we’ve tried to make him know that this is his home and that he will always have everything he needs including plenty of love. We also try to make him understand what we expect from him. He still has his moments, but he really has come a long way. We (including Sadie) love him dearly. Even if he is the ‘Dennis the Menace’ of the dog world.

Violet is a beautiful girl! She’ll be a fine little dog too. She won’t be able to help it. She’s a beagle!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree with going on a walk together before bringing them into the house. It will instill a sense of pack between the two and also that they are migrating to a new home. Start training immediatly so that Violet will know the house rules and the proper way to behave.

We are in the process of looking for a rescue beagle as a companion for Tucker so we have been looking at the best ways to introduce a new member of the pack. Tucker's seperation anxiety has been getting worse and worse. He is six now and up until January when we lost Jasmine, he has been with other dogs. Hopefully with a friend in the house, he won't be so lonely.

Good luck with Violet.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Congratulations - Violet is beautiful! Fingers crossed that everything works out...

We also had a long car trip with Booker when we went to go pick up Moose, so hopefully our experience can help you there. First of all, definitely let them sniff each other out and hang out for a while before you set off on the return trip. What we did was have Moose sit up in the front seat with Marc and I sat in the back seat with Booker - just to make sure they didn't have a chance NOT to get along and also so I could give Booker some TLC (I know that having dogs in the passenger seat is generally not recommended, but we figured the benefits in this case outweighed the risk). And we stopped along the way for a drive-through experience (at Zip's Burger in Ritzville, Washington!) - we figured the best way to bond with Moosie was with food (and we were right)! We also stopped frequently for pee breaks and getting to know each other breaks, and we again had another walk before we actually went home.

Overall, I would say that the whole experience was more stressful for Booker than for Moose - I remember Booker threw up as soon as we got home and she never gets carsick and rarely throws up... so I do think it was the stress of the whole thing. The rescue people also told us that Moosie would probably just be happy that he had a home (with people who were not trying to shoot him (long story...)), and that the one we should focus our attention on after his arrival was really Booker, since she was going from a perfect only child existence to having this interloper in HER space!

Hope our experience helps with yours - Booker and Moosie became the best of friends very quickly and hopefully the same will happen for you!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I dont like dog seat-belts, all of our beagles have got out of them within minutes. Best would be a divided crate or two crates. Once home take them in on leash, or do you have a garden? Let them get to know one another and then take them indoors.
We have two rescues, we got them at 6 years of age, and it took a long time to house-train one of them but got there in the end. Your little girl to be is still young, so she shouldnt come with too much baggage. More on that later. Good luck and you are getting a fine looking beagle.

·
Registered
605 Posts
All the advice sounds good so far, I would just add that you need to be consistent. If she's not going to be allowed to do something in the future, don't cave when she gives you the beagle eyes; it just makes training more challenging. When we visited Henry in the shelter, he wanted to jump in our laps (40 pounds of leaping oversized beagle mix!). Mom and I gently pushed him away and said No, sit, showed him how to sit and then get lovin's. To this day he is very respectful of people's space and sits while being greeted. That took training, of course, but you know what I mean, lol. Good luck with Violet; she's beautiful and very lucky to have you!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Violet's gorgeous!
You've gotten good advice from others. When we had a choice, we introduced our newcomer to the other dog/dogs outside before bringing them inside. Sometimes there were tiffs along the way, but they got things worked out.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
She is lovely!! Looks very smart and alert too

Molly is a rescue from a shelter and she is 2-ish. We started out keeping her in small areas or on a leash by my side. That way I could watch her for signs of having to go potty. We have had Molly since late February and she is finally starting to get it, but still has accidents in the house (which is more of an anxiety issue than having to go pee).

Rescuing is awesome but it comes with challenges, especially if you don't know anything about their past history.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for your advice and well wishes. As I posted in another thread, we got her! We are still arguing on her name (I like Violet, Dave likes Duchess, so we have to compromise with another name all together).

We got very lucky. She is housetrained, and she knows basic commands and is a very good girl. She comes when called (better than Duke!LOL) and she is really smart. They get along great and even Cassie is getting past her jealousy to be friends. Phoebe is curious, but Violet ignores her. I know we're still early on, but this is a very trainable girl and not too timid and very comfortable inside a home. So we don't get how she wasn't claimed by her owners because, like Dave said, somebody lost a really good dog. Oh well, their loss is our gain!

·
Registered
58 Posts
As mom of two rescues I would add only to take it as it comes. Luna was quiet and fraidy when I got her - while Lemon was obsessed with me. Luna still has a fraidy side, but she's really come out of her shell. Lemon is stil always conscious of where I am, but she's mellowed too...

Despite my advance preparation, i was quite surprised at their interactions and their little fights as they fought for pack position, and the accidents in the house....but I wouldn't change having gotten them for anything...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts