Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad that everyone enjoyed the pics of Brie. She just turned 5 months and is becoming more independent each day. I am glad that she is losing some of the fearfulness of the past weeks, however, she is becoming a bit too dominant at the dog park and although we are quick to correct her, we don't think our corrections are getting through to her. One thing that we have noticed is that she hates to have her tummy rubbed. She flails around trying to right herself and nips everytime we do it. She has never voluntarily rolled on her back for us and we were wondering if anyone else has seen this in their beagle. I think that because she was separated from her mom so soon after birth that this might have alot to do with it. Also, she is about 2 weeks away from getting spayed and wondered if that might correct it. We have been very diligent in letting her know that we are the "pack leaders",not her and in most things she behaves, we would just like to know if there is anymore that we could do. Hope to hear lots of advice on this.

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."

·
Registered
230 Posts
Five months is still very young, and Brie's personality is still developing. I wouldn't worry that she has never voluntarily rolled over for you -- I don't think either of our two did as puppies, and now Flora only does on rare occasions when she expects a belly rub. I don't think Lucy ever has ever rolled onto her back volutarily for us.

Keep up the work establishing yourselves as pack leaders, and things should work out. One exercise that we found helpful was one for handling all parts of your dog's body. Make sure Brie accepts you touching her anywhere, and running your hands all over her. This will make vet visits, baths, toenail clipping, and teeth brushing much easier in the future.

As for the dog park issue, I think the other dogs will put her in her place when she becomes a problem. Being young, she gets extra leeway right now. We don't have a dog park, so I'll be glad to hear what others have to say.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe loves belly rubs, but she is very very submissive. If she could be pampered and touched all day long, she will definitely think she is in heaven.
I think you should keep correcting her whenever she snaps at you. Under no circumstances should that happen. She won't do that once you establish your role as pack leaders.
I take Chloe to the park almost every day and she will only growl at another dog if they are trying to take a stick or a ball from her.
Maybe you should keep her on a long leash, so that you can correct her whenever she is not behaving...

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:computer: Thanks for all the great advice. Have already gone on the two websites and started to read. The funny thing with Brie is that she shadows me everywhere and each morning she lays next to me on the couch while I have my coffee. She loves to be petted and I rub her legs and paws and her ears and she makes the funniest sounds as she snuggles up close. This evening I gently rolled her on her back and she let me rub her tummy for a few seconds. When she had,had enough she rolled on her side and wiggled up next to me, so I guess I really have to be a bit more patient with her. One would think I had never had a puppy before /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Lora,
I've been absent from BW (attending to my dog-collar business during holiday season is a seven day/week job!);

First, congratulations on adopting Brie; I'm sure she's filling the hole in your heart from Tippi's passing. I'm happy for you!!

Secondly, hang in there. Maggie is a dominant dog, never able to relax with her tummy in the air. Since day one, I've practiced touching her ears, pads, genitals, teeth and tummy. When she resists, I use a firm voice and tell her to stay. When she relaxes her muscles and 'allows' my touching, she is praised! At nearly three years of age, she still doesn't like her tummy rubbed, or to lie on her back, but it's an everyday exercise at our house. She has learned to tolerate and accept it, but still doesn't enjoy it. I DO believe it has helped establish me as her alpha.....because believe me, without constant reminders, Maggie would dominate completely.

That being said, she's also the most comical and entertaining dog I've ever been owned by. We butt heads constantly (since she is always trying to be top dog) but it makes for some pretty hilarious entertainment. Hang in there.....Brie will always test the boundaries, but if she's half as fun as Maggie, you'll have a wonderful time trying to tame her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts