Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty... I want to get my own dog one day. Zelda's real owner is my bf. We'll eventually be living together once I'm done school and get a job (i graduate in june, YAY!).

I'd love for Zelda to be able to have a playmate during the day so she isn't lonely and after having Zelda in the first place, I came to realize how much I really love dogs and could never see myself without one, so that's why I really want one of my own.

So I'm obviously looking into this WAAAYYYY in advance, but it doesn't hurt... and i LOVE to daydream.

Zelda will have to be top dog... so I need a breed that can handle that. I've always wanted a Boston Terrier, but I keep reading that they're aggressive and want to be the top dog in a pack.. anyone here ever had a boston?? especially with a beagle??

I also have always wanted a pembroke welsh corgi. I couldn't tell you a reason why I want a corgi besides the fact that they are SOOO cute and have bunny bums.

I'm leaning more towards a dachshund because Zelda already interacts with two of them and she is so gentle to them and never takes her eyes off of them when they are around.

I guess I should also add that we'll probably end up in some sort of apartment... whether it be in a big building, or a top floor of a house.

Any breed suggestions???

·
Registered
295 Posts
My beagle is was a rescued stray with an apparently bad past. I have a nearly 15 year old collie/shepherd mix, and in November I got a 3 month old shepherd/hound mix. They all love each other. I think you have to decide what breed or mix that you might want, and then look at each individual dog that you might come across. Although there are breed tendencies, every dog is different.

(Personally, I think mixed breeds with shepherd as part of the lineage are the best!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I have a Pitt Bull and he and my Beagle get along great. Though because of my Pitt Bull's past he has never been nor has he ever tried to be the dominate dog or even animal in my house. Heck the cats even boss him around.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My experience tells me Beagles get along with most other dogs. We have a friend who lives in an apartment that has a rescued MinPin. He does fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Greyhounds! I even take Molly to the all greyound adoption events and they all love her and she likes them.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie's best friends are aussies. I have a feeling that Maggie would get along with almost any dog.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beags blend well with most dogs, But not with the ones that try
kill them!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If Li'l Girl prefers any of our other pack members, I'd say it's Misty, our whippetX. Frankly, though, she just sort of goes her own way without a whole lot of interaction with the others. Her main concern seems to be that she's number 1 with me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Breed, shmeed. Whichever dog that does well with Beagles- or any dog- is the right breed.
Growing up with mutts, I learned that it doesn't matter what breed the dog is...if it's socialized at a young age and treated well, it should get along with most other dogs, depending on their temperament.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would think a corgie would get along great with your beagle! We once had a neighbor that had a beagle and a corgie. They seemed to get along quite nicely! Corgies are a fun breed!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Labs and beagles get along really well, but I'm guessing you want something a little smaller.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I definitely second the labs! Labs taught my Toby how to swim like a lab!!! They had so much fun together!!! Labs are actually what led me to beagles! I wanted a personality similar to a lab in a smaller size!!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
My Shiloh's best buddy in the whole world was our late great standard poodle, Coco. She also really liked the Australian Shepherd down the street. And she likes the lab next doorl. But she has little use for the yippy, yappy little shi-tzu across the street, and was annoyed by the hyper Jack Russell behind us.
As someone else asked, how about another beagle?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyI definitely second the labs! Labs taught my Toby how to swim like a lab!!! They had so much fun together!!! Labs are actually what led me to beagles! I wanted a personality similar to a lab in a smaller size!!
My Sam is just what you would love then. He is a Beagle/Lab mix. He looks just like a lab, but is only the size of a Beagle. The best of both worlds.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Another vote for a lab here! BJ and Boomer are the best of buds. They chase each other and wrestle. It's so cute when BJ gets down to be Boomer's height. And even the older beagles occasionally get into the action. If you wanted something smaller (shorter) how about a basset?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: Greyhounds! I even take Molly to the all greyound adoption events and they all love her and she likes them.
Awww! I miss my retired racing greys!
Well, at least one of them.
Tyrone was the best!...
(Except for beagle-Sadie.)

Our nephew's wife breeds and shows Italian Greys, but I'm afraid Sadie might break one!
They look so fragile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts