Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is molly's mom. My husband told me that you all have given him great advice so I thought I would check out the forum. She is doing much better and yesterday went off without any accidents in the house...of course she didn't leave my sight or the kitchen/living room. Anyway, my question is about breeding. While out walking Molly I ran into a very nice gentleman who loved her. He told me that he and his whole family hunt and have beagles and they love them. And he happens to have a male that he wants to breed. He said that if we bred her he and his family would take all the pups. So I guess what I am asking rather long-windedly is are there any advantages to breeding a dog? Do they act differently? Just curious what thoughts you have. Thanks!

P.S. anyone ever used sitstayfetch?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My answer is DO NOT DO IT.

:soapbox:
There are enough dogs in this world without adding to it.
Thousands are PTS every day because people have just one litter.If she needed a C-section do you have the funds?
Have you got the time and money to rear a litter?
Have her spayed and she will be much happier and healthier.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I only have Chloe for 3 months, and she is not 6 months of age yet.
I was offered several times already to breed her and immediately said NO!!!
Taking under consideration that I don't have the time or the money to go through the pregnancy with her, I don't want any complications, and finding homes for the pups. And since I know I will spay her eventually, there is no reason to let her have puppies before spaying her. It's much healthier for her that way.
I say - Spay!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wouldn't breed my dog with a total strangers dog. Especially since you'll have no control over what happens to the puppies. He could be selling them to a research facility or no telling what else.

The spay or not spay question is a real hot button here!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not really sure why you'd want to do this. You and Molly do all the work, and some stranger gets the reward? I can understand wanting to be neighborly and all, but that sounds a little too above and beyond.

Make the best decision for Molly and your family... From an outside perspective, this doesn't sound like it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Health wise, I believe the odds are Molly would be better spayed before her first season. Allowing her to breed (Please wait til here second time in heat) before spaying would reduce the slim chance of Molly suffer from incontinence from spaying but at a greater risk of more serious health issue like uterine cancer. Spaying is invasive surgery and there are risks. I'm such a big fan of spaying or neutering pets I may be a wee bit biased. Ask your vet and/or weigh all the advice you get on this forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wife here again...well after reading everything, I would just like to clarify that I of course would have her spayed after the first litter. The plan was always to get her spayed, I just didn't know if there was any advantage to letting a dog have a litter first. Second, I would of COURSE check this guy out and his living situation before agreeing and letting him take the puppies (one of course I would probably keep). I appreciate your opinions and comments, you have given me alot ot think about and from everything you've said I'm definitely leaning towards no. Thank you.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I agree with the no lobby. Best to get her spayed before the first heat. Our fist two beagles got pregnant early on and the second one died of cancer. Best thing is to have her spayed unless you want to breed properly.
We have two research beagles, I hate the thought of any litters being sold to research centres.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Oh please spay her....I know it has been said already but I just have to agree....even if you check him out, how can you know for sure that these pups will be sold (for thousands of dollars) to a good, happy home?

...if one or a few are not, they may end up in shelters, research facilities, or shipped to another country for research. There are SO SO many homeless beagles out there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I know it is a tough decision, good luck and we will support whatever decision you make !!!

Amanda

·
Registered
326 Posts
On the other hand, most ethical and registered breeders (here in Australia anyway) don't EVER breed a bitch on their first season. The bitch is still a pup herself, neverlone her having puppies! The bitch normally is about 3 years old before she is mated for her first litter.

The term we use here in Australia is back yard breeders.

Please get her de-sexed. You will have a higher chance of avoiding health issues down the track.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with everyone. Too many orphan dogs out there already and you'd have no control over whether the pups would be 'fixed'. Around here it's about $250-$350 for a fixed dog from the humane society (any breed) and everyone seems to want $200-$350 for an unregistered Beagle pup with one set of shots... a whole litter would be quite a windfall for him IMHO.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Molly's Mom,

You get the general concensus from the group. Breeding your girl should only be considered if she and the male both have strong traits that will improve the breed. Meaning both should be AKC regsistered and meet AKC standards or better. It has been brought up that in breeding her, she is being put at risk, not the stud. Many things can go wrong and the results can be tragic. I know the thought of puppies is alluring, especially since Molly is right there. But look at all the aspects, risks, and costs involved, before considering this.

That being said, I have seen too many beagles (pups and adults) in rescues and pet stores to ever consider breeding a dog.

Let me ask this... When you got Molly, what were your plans for her? Breeding or family member?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well when we got her, it was just for a family pet. I feel all kids should grow up with a great family dog. We didn't find out until after we adopted her that she actually is an AKC dog. And we already payed for her to get spayed, it just hasn't been done yet. We just got her and last weekend we had to go out of town so we couldn't do it then. I'm just mentioning this because I want you all to know that we DO plan on spaying her. But then out walking I ran into this man who has an AKC male. How he told it to me is that his whole family hunts, and they all love beagles. He has a couple of brothers and uncles and such that all use beagles. And I live in a very small town so it wouldn't be hard to find out about this guy. I had no idea there were health risks involved. I just remember hearing once that animals do better if they are allowed to have one litter, apparently this is wrong. Again, I thank you for your advice. I definitely don't want a bunch of homeless babies running around, and I don't want my little Molly having health issues from it either. And yes, the though of pups is alluring, I know we would probably keep one for ourselves...maybe two depending on when she had them. Okay well I am rambling on here, it just seemed like a decent idea, he would get cheap pups for his family and we would get some extra money and could use it towards building her a nice run outside, as well as a free pup or two (is there any such thing?). Again, rambling, sorry, okay so thanks again for the advice. It is much appreciated and we think it is wonderful how adamant you are about keeping dogs healthy and happy.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi,I think you made a good choice although I certainly understand the temptation to have puppies. My husband talked about wanting to breed Maggie but I absolutely refused for all the reasons mentioned above and also that we got Maggie from a pet store (that was a mistake I know now, but at the time I had no idea!), so she is probably a puppy mill dog. My vet was surprised at how well socialized she was, and says she has to have been handled as a baby. She is also AKC registered. I have DNA numbers and have been able to find pictures of the father and grandfather on line. But if a puppy mill dog can be AKC registered I don't see how that means anything.
Also in another beagle group I belong to we were looking forward to the birth of a litter. The owner breeder is very responsible, only does a litter every couple of years, knows the genetic background of her dogs and does everything right. Out of the four pups born only one survived. One was born with an opening in its skull, one was stillborn, the mom rolled on the largest healthest one the first night and suffocated it. The tiniest one survived only through round the clock care for those first weeks. No one knows what went wrong. Anyway I know this is long and rambling but it is clear that you love your puppy. I think it is good that you asked the question and made a thoughtful decision.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Molly's Mom,

Please do not take us as "pushy" or "demanding". We care about EVERYONE'S dogs. It makes no difference if you just joined or are a founding member. You asked for opinions (sometimes a dangerous thing around here), you got them. If you should decide on breeding Miss Molly, it will not be held against you by anyone. It is your little girl and your decision. All we ask (not demand) is that you do the research, talk to your vet, and check the background of those who you deal with. We ask this for the sake of Molly and her possible offspring.

Should you decide to let her have a litter before spaying her, we will still be here to support you and little Molly.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Molly's mom,

I asked the same question when my female was young, prior to spaying......

.....a friend of mine, who also happens to be a vet tech, bred her female at about that time; she said she wished she had NOT done it, because it was heartbreaking to give up the pups.....but most of all, her female's personality changed after becoming a mom. Her quote: "My bitch has become bitchy"; I suppose the responsibility of becoming a mama changed her :freak: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts