Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was a member of this board a while back under my "ex's" name and now created my own.

I own a beautiful 2 yr male tri color beagle which I've owned since he was 1 month old. I have all his AKC paperwork and he is one healthy, very active pup. His name is Bevo.

Pics: www.run.to/bevo

Lately I've been wanting to look into getting another beagle... but I'd love for this puppy to be Bevo's son. I can just see it now, dad and son (or daughter) running around the house.

Now, is this too much work? I dont want to breed him for profit. My stud fee would be 1 pup of my choosing from the litter. And the female's (hate saying the B word) owner can keep the rest for whatever she wants.

If so... how would I go about finding a good mate for Bevo? Especially one that is local to semi-local.

OR.. should I just look into purchasing a puppy from a breeder? Spend the money... and it not be Bevo's "real" son/daughter.

Your thoughts....

·
Registered
146 Posts
do you have his history and parantage as well as the medical paperwork involved for breeding responsibly. If you have that look carefully for a very good breeder and check with them to see if they are interested. Make sure they have a waiting list of people who want to adopt from them so you will be sure that all the puppies will have a home and not contribute to the shelter and rescue problems. I think it would be sweet to have a pup from your own dog.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Breeding pups is hard work, it really requires someone being at home full time. If you are certain you want to cope with two young beagles, then why not take a young rescue? I am reluctant to buy from a professional breeder, too many of their pups end up in rescue centres or worse. If you want to adopt a pup then try to find a hobby breeder. We have two rescues and they are adorable.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Please google up Beagle Rescues and make some calls.

Believe it or not, puppies do end up in rescues.

Earlier this year, a friend of mine's son in college purchased a beagle puppy for $1200.00 (I can't believe the price, either) for his parents as a surprise gift.

His parents didn't want it and he was living in a place where he couldn't have pets. I put them in touch with a rescue but I never did get a follow-up.

You may have to do some searching but saving a pup from a rescue would be my vote....if it was on the ballot.

BTW...Bevo is a handsome guy!

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome back Bevo :wave:

My two girls are litter mates and we're pretty sure they're 100% beagle... Their mother was picked up by the SPCA on the streets, barefoot and pregnant...
Then brought to my vets and thats where she had the babies and they all were adopted out. They are so social because all the people who work there carried them around and had them sit with them at the front desk, plus they got to meet alot of other animals.

Keep checking petfinder as well as call some of the local vet offices and see if they know anyone who's dog might be having a litter?

Good luck!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
A reputable breeder would never let one of their puppies end up in a shelter or rescue. They are tatooed with the breeders info and by signed and legal contract are to be brought back to the breeder if the pup is no longer wanted. I have heard of breeders suing families for trying to dump one of their dogs at the shelter. It would of course be best case for you to adopt a shelter dog, but there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a reputable breeder either.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
We got Abby from a breeder, but after coming on this site and reading everything I have about rescuing any other beagle, or dog we get in the future will be a rescue. I also struggled with the decision of having her spayed or not having her spayed but decided in the end to have her spayed for her benefit.

Personally I'd struggle with the thought of breeding him just for one wanted pup. Even if you want his pup passionately what's to say the other puppies in the litter that you wanted to bring in to this world would be loved and wanted as passionately as your pup is...

If you haven't already I would check out http://www.dogster.com they're a wealth of information and it's a dog lover's paradise, lol.

Plus, You can search by pretty much anything...location, breed, age, etc

I searched for "beagle" then adoptable and found these: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/138030/in/stroll/

Here's the Beagle Page on Dogster:
http://www.dogster.com/breeds/beagle

If you'd like feel free to check out Abby's dogster page. You can get there by clickin Abby's Dogster Page in my signature or by clicking here:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/319520

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too am of the mind that a rescue pup would be the best option.

I see that you're in the San Antonio area which isn't too far from Houston. We have the HBHR "Houston Beagle and Hound Rescue" group here and I know they have an Austin and Lone Star Rescue affiliates advertised on their website as well.

Check out this site...http://www.houstonbeaglerescue.org/

Best of luck to you and I wish you the best.

Btw, Bevo is adorable and I see you are a longhorn fan, so maybe the Austin affiliate will work for you, keep us posted.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd suggest looking into a rescue, too. We did have one beagle, though, that we purchased from a breeder. That fellow was very concerned about the puppies he sold, and followed up a few months later to be sure that we were happy with Bocephus. He specifically stated that he didn' want any of his dogs ending up in a shelter.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There are a number of factors to look at before breeding . Finding the right match in size type (correct breeding lines) temprement etc.

You need to find out if there are any faults in your dog and the dog you wish to breed with, any gene related problems in both yours and the other dog.

Then there is all the problems with mating, doing it at the right time, then is it successful will the puppies go full term and then how many will be born.

Then you must weigh up the cost vet bills, scans, welping boxes, heat pads, worming, jabs, food and if all goes wrong the cost of a c-section and the chance of not having any pups at the end of it all. It is not as simple as it seems.

Plus you will have to find GOOD homes for all. the remaining pups in the litter.

Then there is the eight weeks of very hard work whilst the pups are with you.

If you can look at this and say hand on heart that you can go through with it then go for it, but be warned.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I am certainly in favor of rescuing dogs ...I have 3 rescues of my own and I foster for my local beagle rescue.

To me there is nothing more rewarding that giving a second chance to a pup who might not otherwise get another chance ........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts