Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:surrender::gah::surrender:

Has anyone ever felt that they have reached a breaking point in life, that stress just gets to you over night, and everyone and everything just seems to fall apart? And on those days, doesn't it seem like 3 dogs or even 2 is just too much to handle? I have been so stressed lately, and I feel like I have been taking it out on the dogs, mostly Blu, are new puppy :banghead:. He is now 13 weeks of age, a baby, but yet, because he already stands 17 inches high, I almost have the mentality that he is older and should 'know better.' I feel so horrible, because I have admittingly been yelling at him too much, and when I really think about it, for what? Getting between my feet and causing me to fall down the stairs? He doesn't mean to get in between to hurt mommy, he's just a baby after all and is super excited to see me. He isn't old enough to hold his potty in, so mommy gets upset that I have to bathe him 1-2 times a day because of it. He is now prescribed a medicated wash because he lays in his own excrements all day, it's causing severe dermititis( we have tried all sorts of methods to solve this problem, but coming home at lunch, etc just doesn't seem to do it, no matter the size of crate as well). But, he doesn't mind the baths, he gets to be with mommy, smiling and bright eyed. I am very good at watching my dogs, keeping them nearly in my sight at all times. I feel I do better then most, knowing a lot of people who just let their dogs roam and thinking that, letting them outside is enough. I have a concious. I have to walk them, controlled exercise, socialization, bonding, training....sometimes, there is not enough time in the day to do all of this plus cook dinner, straighten up the house, get ready for work, etc. Blu, doesn't mean too, but manages to chew all of my underwear up, and all of my husbands socks.....and cords....and paper...and cutips...and towls...blankets...wooden furniture...I have never had a dog do this. Cassidy and Nubi have never done this much damage. And he is only 13 weeks....26 pounds...people think he is a dane...or a catahoula...Cassidy just seems to not want to listen anymore...and is cranky, snapping at my husband for some reason...maybe it's the diet, vet said she is over weight. She is only 12-13" and should weigh 20-24 pounds, but weighs 31.5 pounds. We now have the dogs on Blue-Jack food from Petsmart, and it's great so far from what I can see. I am just so stressed, how does one deal with this...without taking it out on the dogs...or others around them? So, depressed it seems :sosorry:, with health problems, work stress, and no time...went hiking though on Sunday, it was great. Took Blu along, and the cliffs, hills, and feats that he conquored was awesome! Also taught him a new trick, give me your paw! Was so proud of him :milestone:. Here are some pics...

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have a great amount of weight on your shoulder, keep pushing on you know it will be worth it. Life does get busy just do the best you know how.
I am hoping things get better for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hang in there! I've definitely felt the way you are feeling. Pups are like having children...and after a long day's work you're tired and they're full of 8 hours worth of pent up energy. I do have a question...how much exercise is Blu getting? When my girls were pups, I literally wore them out every evening and walked them in the mornings too. They behaved better and slept all day when I was at work. Now that they are older, I still have to exercise them, but it's not as extreme.

Also, have you talked to the vet about him using the bathroom so frequently? My vet told me that usually by the age of 13 weeks they should be able to hold their bladders for at least 4 hours. (depending on the size of the dog)

Also, when my girls were younger and had their spurts of extra unruliness or if they were left alone for longer than usual, I would try to schedule them a day at doggy day care. They LOVE doggy day care. It allowed them as pups to acquire valuable social interaction skills while also wearing them out and letting them have a good time.

Good luck!!!!!! Keep us posted. Just hang on while he gets through the puppy stage.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hang in there! I've definitely felt the way you are feeling. Pups are like having children...and after a long day's work you're tired and they're full of 8 hours worth of pent up energy. I do have a question...how much exercise is Blu getting? When my girls were pups, I literally wore them out every evening and walked them in the mornings too. They behaved better and slept all day when I was at work. Now that they are older, I still have to exercise them, but it's not as extreme.

Also, have you talked to the vet about him using the bathroom so frequently? My vet told me that usually by the age of 13 weeks they should be able to hold their bladders for at least 4 hours. (depending on the size of the dog)

Also, when my girls were younger and had their spurts of extra unruliness or if they were left alone for longer than usual, I would try to schedule them a day at doggy day care. They LOVE doggy day care. It allowed them as pups to acquire valuable social interaction skills while also wearing them out and letting them have a good time.

Good luck!!!!!! Keep us posted. Just hang on while he gets through the puppy stage.
To answer some of these questions:

Blu gets regular exercise, from walks around the neighborhood, yard play, toy play, and hiking on the weekends.

As far as urination goes, I want to believe that it is anxiety driven, beings that he goes most of the day, and then when I approach the crate to let him out, he just unloads it everywhere...he also pees on the porch right in front of the door outside, and walks in it...the others step over it....wtf? He's a larger breed of dog.

We also do not have doggy day care available in my area, and the place I live, I don't trust anyone to watch them either. I have a hard enough time trusting our room mate to watch them when we leave for a weekend....

''stress'' omg....and I had another one of those mornings this morning...I go to let Blu out, he pees then jumps on me as I am already telling him OFF! but no...he flings the pee all over the freaking place, all over my work clothes, the floor...I had to change, made me late for work....UGH!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hang in there. I know it's easy for us to type hang in there, but a lot of us have been through and do go through a lot with our pets..and day to day lives... when we think or looks like everything is getting better, smooth, then the ball drops again and more piles of crap to deal with, it's like it's never going to end, and we feel like we want to throw the towel in or have come to our wits end with it all.
Then that glimmer of something even if it's a pinch gives us the strength to make it through another hour/day.........I think this is our stars telling us we can do it just hang in there.

Blu you so remind me of Rolo *humph*

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband calls me up today and says, "Just think of Cassidy when she was a puppy, that will make you happy."

LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hang in there!!!! Once you figure out what makes Blu tick or he gets a little older, things will be better. I'll try to send some good energy your way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't tell you the number of times I've cried with frustration over Willie...he's been with us for five months, and I feel like every time I think I've got his behavior figured out and how to avoid certain problems, I'm proven wrong. He's two years old, and some of the same things you mention are so familiar to me...the frustration at him being underfoot (he sounds about the same size as Blu, a little bigger, but he's fully grown - a beagle catahoula mix) and tripping me, the frustration at crate-anxiety peeing that seems to not be deterred by anything and happens within minutes of being crated, even when he's been exercised for an hour and peed multiple times, the frustration at chewing through power cords, toppling laundry hampers to destroy every single pair of my underwear, just so many frustrations. And he's our ONLY dog. He's just a handful. It also seems like our very busy days revolve pretty much exclusively around which of us can do the morning, pre-crate exercising, when which of us will be home and when to clean up the inevitable pee puddle outside the crate and do the next walk, which of us will be home with him in the evening so he doesn't have to go back in the crate, which means staggering our music rehearsals and night classes, where we can and can't go on the weekends and how long because we don't feel good about leaving him, etc. He's a wonderful dog, but it is stressful. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out, when I hear people talk about what a huge stress-reliever their dog is for them...I feel like their dogs must just not have the frustrating behavior that Willie does, or that they're just the type of people who roll with it more than I do.

P.S. Shat breed is Blu? I thought catahoula from his markings (which Willie largely shares, as he's half catahoula), but your post said no?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blu is a Weimaraner/Aussie mix, but we get catahoula and merle dane a lot. I know what you mean though. It's like, life evolves around the dog, and I feel like I am missing out on life because I am constantly trailing behind....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Careful not to exercise him too much at this age especially as he is a bigger dog - too much exercise can damage his still forming joints.

What does he get in the way of mental stimulation? The right mental stimulation can tire them out more than a walk.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i give him different kong toys 2 play at, little training sessions until hes bored, lol i talk 2 him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts