Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a 12 week old beagle named Magnolia "Maggie" Blossom. She is a handful to say the least. We are quickly discovering just how smart she is. She is currently in a stage of aggressiveness /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif along with a healthy dose of biting. We are hoping she will soon outgrow this behavior. It has been a while since I have had a puppy and I have never had a beagle so I am relearning everything again. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
We can be puppy buddies! :thumbup: I am new here as well, with an 11 week old Beagle girl named Daisy. She is also very interested in biting anything other than her own toys.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh boy - both of you are in for an experience! Welcome to the world of beagles! I'd never had a beagle until about 8 years ago when I bought my first beagle puppy for my granddaughter. I said then "I'll NEVER have another beagle" - boy have I eaten those words, since I fell in love with the breed (once I learned to accept beagle traits and not try to make them into something they're NOT). I am now owned by ten beagles - each is a joy and a cherished pet. You'll find a lot of beagle experience here - and lots of good advice, too.
Welcome to BW!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy - Welcome to Beagle World - Some of us just rescue adult neagles so we love to vicariously enjoy puppies /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif At that age, biting everything is natural and as start to lose their baby teeth, biting is almost essential and ues, sometime after they are six and a half months and have their adult teeth, their biting either diminishes on their own and or can be redirected to only appropriate things with little effort on your part. Lookimng forward to hearing all about Maggie.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. We had chewing and "biting issues with our Maggie until she was about 6 months old. Your puppy will learn eventually what it is Ok to chew on and that hands are off limits.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Well... I have recently been through that phase. It is hard but fun (retroactively I can afford saying that)... My Chloe is 11 months old, and is still a handful.
Don't agree with with biting. They are testing you. You can use a can with coins in it for sudden noise, a spray bottle (straight to the nose) or anything else you can think of (no hitting though :biglaugh:

One other thing - pictures please!!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome to the breed & this site! Beags have their
"good & bad" traits like us humans! But once you
have been "trained by one" you will know how they
think and instantly know how to anticipate their
behaviour! You will learn that a beag can solve
problems & learn how to overcome them, to the point that "anything edible" is fair game! AND,
they teach what they learn to the younger one
as if the new pup is their "prodegy"! Homer-the-
Huge is a mix-breed hound, but Goober has taught
him well & he acts the same way as Goober right
down to the same way of "slapping the kitchen
cabinet" door to request a dog biscuit!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
welcome! I have an 8 month old pup so have been through the nipping stage, still working on it just a tad but he has improved greatly with it. We can offer a lot of advice over in the discussion section.

Oh and pics please /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to your Maggie from my Maggie! Like Bob, I rescued Maggie as a one year old so missed the puppy stage -- she is now almost 13. Looking forward to lots of pics and stories!

·
Registered
509 Posts
HEllo there!

welcome to Beagle world!! Ive got a 4 month old (will be 5 on thursday) that is just getting over his biting and chewing stage!! its been hard!! but deffinetly worth it!

ask lots of questions, there are some experienced people around here!

xx
K

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to beagle world. Fire away with your questions, there is usually someone on here who will know the answer.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to BeagleWorld. We only have adult rescues but there are lots of others here with puppy experience to help you through what I'm sure can be quite challenging and frustrating times.

And have we mentioned that we like lots of beagle puppy pictures?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Welcome Rhea and Maggie B! I'm new here as well, but not new to the wonderful world of beagles. I'll be entering puppyhood again on Saturday, so hopefully we'll be able to share puppy training stories.

BTW...great choice of beagle names. My new little furbaby will be called Maggie also. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts