Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby is now 4.5 months old (wow, time flies!). We try to give her lots of playtime (inside and out - on a 30' tie out). It seems like now that we have started giving her more outside playtime, she gets easily bored during her inside playtimes. She has TONS of toys but shows no interest in them anymore. She just walks around the rooms (kitchen & living room are all she has access to right now) sniffing the ground and every now and then she looks at me and whines as if to say I'm bored! It breaks my heart but we just can't let her outside all the time.
Any ideas for GREAT toys out there? Or advice in general about how to keep her occupied inside?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was thinking of the tricky treat ball too. I know petsmart and walmart have them. I bought mine for a quarter at a garage sale. Best 25cents I ever spent.
Our living room/kitchen area is pretty bare so we don't mind a rubber ball getting kicked around.
Also check your pet store for toys that are seek and find. We had a stuffed turtle that you stuffed squeaky eggs inside and he had to find them and get them out. We also had a cube that we stuffed 5 different squeaky shapes into that he had to try get out. (We called it his Game Cube) She'll probably eventually destuff them in a few months but they keep them occupied a looooooong time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Something we did with Murphy that worked well.

Take an old sock and 4-5 of his favorite treats. Start to roll the sock into a ball from the top down. Every third roll stick a treat in.

Give the treat-smelling rolled up sock to Murphy and he has a blast working the treats out. It would keep him busy for 30 minutes or more.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi -- couple of thoughts re making inside play more interesting. One, check out this article from Bark magazine about living room agility:

Living Room Agility

If you click on the buy it now link, you will see a book written by the author about playtime with your dog and the dog on the cover is actually a beagle!
The book is pricey but maybe a glance at it in the bookstore would give you some ideas.

Second, someone recently posted about playing hide & seek with their pup, either by hiding a treat or by hiding themselves. If Abby is already walked through your house sniffing, maybe a hide a treat game would be perfect for her!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! As usual, you guys are AWESOME and QUICK! :) I am definitely going to try some of your ideas and look at those links you've posted. Thank you!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
We've been kinda encountering the same thing with Bodie. We give Bodie lots of attention during play and training. However, there are times where he appears lost and bored.

Like all dog lovers we've showered Bodie with toys. Some he took too and some he didn't. Our thinking was he's become bored of the toys because there are so many of them and they're everywhere. So we're now using a big bin with all his toys inside. When he's bored he'll actually go to it and pull out the toy(s) he wants to play with. In the beginning we had to take him over to it. Now he goes to it on his own and rummages about. But so far we've seen an improvement of him wandering about aimlessly and bored.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts