Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penne hates to get snow stuck between her toes so I put booties on her sometimes. The problem is that the booties always turn so the rougher part (the tread, so to speak) winds up on top of her paw, not on the bottom. Lately she's just been toughing it out without booties on our walks.

Anyone else here with snow and paw issues? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Not with the measley .8" of snow we got here (in Central, NC) I wish we had a snow problem, this winter has sucked...we had 70 degrees temps in December!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Take a look for PawTectors. There is no top or bottom. There are semi soft rubber and have a soft inside lining, secured by velcro. Muphy used them for years when he was in a cart.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We get extreme snow and cold here and none of our beagles have needed shoes or coats.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've tried using booties on Buckley, but in the end it was more trouble than it was worth. He hated wearing them and they would always come off during the walk, forcing me to backtrack, find them and put them on in -20C weather.

Now, if it's too cold, it's too cold. Walks are either very short or non-existent until the temp moderates. Jewelie flat out refuses to walk if it's too cold; Buckley will try, but about halfway down the street he will start limping. No point in forcing the issue.

They get lots of exercise playing with each other and running around in the yard. On the warmer days we go for as long a walk as possible!

Good luck finding booties that work for you - I've heard good things about MuttLuks, but have never tried them.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I had the same problem last year with my Calvin. Sensitive feet.

Another member here suggested two things:

1.) Keep hair trimmed short on pads and between toes

2.) Musher's secret aka Invisible Booties. Here's the website where I purchased my jar:
Click here for Musher\'s Secret

·
Registered
807 Posts
It is beyond cold here tonight -5F. With our dogs, after their 1st "puppy" winter they never had a problem with paws in the cold. Toby seems to wait until the last minute, runs out - does his thing- and gets back in asap. Hayley takes her sweet time no matter what the temp. With the pups, if it is this cold or icy, I would put petroleum jelly on their foot pads. Seemed to protect them well. We gave up on booties after a few pairs got chewed up! Julie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts