Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so we in SD have the coldest winter's in history. I allow the boys to put on an extra pound to keep them warm...but it's already - 15 windchill....and they are shivering when they come in. I feel as if I should be putting hats, booties and coats on them....which I am sure they would hate, and rip to shreds. But do you put booties on your pups and a coat in cold weather? Do you get the ones that slip over their heads, or the velcro down the back. Mine have learned to pull them off or undo the velcro on the tummy...who said beagles weren't smart?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well we're in Florida so it doesn't get nearly that cold. But there are some mornings where I see Daisy standing in the backyard just shivering, so I put a coat on her and she gets all excited and runs back outside. LOL Rocky doesn't get as cold as Daisy does, but sometimes we put a jacket on him too. Neither one of them seem to mind, they don't try to pull them off or anything. Daisy has one that has velcro under the belly and in front of her chest. Rocky has one with velcro and a zipper, but we don't really like it. I'll probably try and find him one that just has velcro, it's easier to deal with.

As far as booties, I don't think our two would go for that. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
We live in MN, but if we drive 4 miles west, we are in SD. We have a few sweaters, jackets with Velcro or snaps on the backs, and have tried booties but our beagle would rather wear my wife's socks secured with hair binders on them. Generally they don't appreciate it, and would rather stay inside unless on walks, but they get used to it, and after a while, appreciate them. And they seem to work, as they don't seem to shiver so much when they are wearing them, which makes me feel a lot better about walking them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our guys shiver a lot in the cold but love being outside, I have to coax them back in so they don't freeze! I tried a velcro jacket on Roscoe and he was fine with it until we brought home Cole who would tear it off of Roscoe and then it became a game!

So we haven't tried anything like that again, we just limit their time outside in the cold and pay attention to how they are feeling.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You could try a sweater that just pulls over their head. Jasmine (RIP) had a sweater she would wear when it was cold and she really appreciated it. My wife bought some booties a while ago but we haven't tried them yet. They are the kind that doesn't really keep the paws warm, but protect from whatever is on the ground. Last night I took the new girls out and put coats on them. I think I was colder than them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My boys are getting their winter coats, and they are made out of dog hair:)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that's cute! BeagleWeegle! The boys tried on coats after they got their nails clipped, and I can tell right now, it would be a game trying to get them on and then not having them rip them to pieces. They ripped them off in the yard today and it was about -2 degrees....not a good sign. So our boys will be sporting the same look, and timing the outside periods.

Nick, it's good to know there are good neighbors in MN. We love it there when we visit near Lake Traverse where my inlaws are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought Hailey one of those West Coast Rain Wear jackets. This is what it looks like: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/West-Coast-Rain-Wear/190018.aspx

Even though it says it's Rain Wear, it's nicely padded and very suitable for outdoor winter weather. The beagle'sright leg goes into a sleeve, velcro close around the throat, and then one under the belly. It's very warm and snug, but the beagle looks like she's got a cape on... IE: Super Hailey as she dashes through the yard and snow at full tilt!

I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of booties I could get her though. After a while outside, she kind of hops about on 2 or 3 legs as she gets cold -- almost like she's blown a flat or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts