Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been worried about Booker the past few days as she just hasn't been herself - she would be fine one minute and then she would start acting strangely like she was in trouble with her tail down and her belly down towards the floor (she grovels very well - her old owners must have taught her that).

We took her in today to see the vet and they checked her over - and when the vet was halfway down her back she definitely reacted... she didn't cry out but she definitely turned around as if to politely ask the vet to stop.

So Booker is on Metacam and is not supposed to do anything much but sleep for a week, then we'll take her back next Friday to see if she has improved. I'm glad we know what is bothering her, and fingers crossed that the Metacam and reduced activity do the trick and she is back to herself in a week's time. (Who am I kidding, Booker's lifestyle normally is pretty much centred around sleeping anyways - but we'll nevertheless be careful not to let her jump off the bed (after we have lifted her up) or go for her usual (very) short running bursts at the park...)

We've already done the back surgery with Booker once (in her neck) - we do NOT want to go there again.

And good news - all three hounds have been successful in their weight loss since the last trip to the vet in early May - Booker has lost four pounds, Popcorn five, and Moosie NINE! Arrrooooo!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Booker! Good news on the weight loss. At least that must be a positive factor for Booker's back.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we took Booker back to the vet after a week of Metacam and reduced activity - the vet was still concerned and so did x-rays and now thinks that she has a disc lower down in her back that has been injured slightly - nothing like what happened in her neck (yet...) but definitely not good. So she is now on the reduced activity and Metacam regime for a month, then they'll check her out again to see if there has been improvement. In the meantime, if she appears to get worse or lose any motor ability we are supposed to get her to the vet again pronto.

I sure hope she is going to be okay and heal on her own - her last back surgery was when she was 5 and that was hard enough on her - I just don't want to put her through that again at 11 1/2 unless it is absolutely necessary. So please keep your fingers and paws crossed for her for the next month.

Good news on the weight loss (another important thing to take stress off her back) - she was down another pound in the past week since her last vet visit. Arrrrrooooo!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beags are very stubborn & have a very strong will to live! Goober
is a major testament to that! (The Lord will take him back
someday...to be by His side!) But, for the time being, Goober
is the best beag I have been owned by...(& it is a very close
contest between him & Snapper)!!! (Snapper is the one that made
me love the beagle breed)!Thumbup!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Give her a gentle hug from Cobi and I. We went through back problems with Chipper, and built steps for him to go up, although he liked being carried up them into bed or on the couch to rest.
We did get some DSMO from the vet to help with pain, and that seemed to fix some things like having to go outside and squat...my male dogs don't have trees so they don't lift their legs....we'll say some prayers too. Keep positive....and love her up.

Cathy J
I've been flagged TWICE!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts