Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several days now, it has been a chore to get Bones to finish her food. Normally, she and Spock both eat their entire meals within a few minutes of me putting the food in the bowl. Spock tends to inhale his, while Bones has always been a much more delicate eater. And when we first adopted her, she would only eat her dinner bites at a time until we had her skip a meal. She seems to have gone back to that method of eating just in the last 7 days or less.

Sometime last week at breakfast, she finished all but a few handfuls, and I tried hand-feeding her the last bit of her meal. Since then, she has eaten progressively less and less of her food at once. One time, I saw the reason she might have been leery: there was a big, dead roach in her bowl
. (A dog after my own heart.) A couple of times, we've taken the unfinished bowl away from her after 15-20 minutes and given it back a few hours later (she usually eats the rest then). Once when I wasn't watching the dogs and their food very carefully, Spock swooped in and finished her breakfast for her.

My boyfriend and I have theories: 1.) during play, she or Spock have managed to put a tiny divot in her nose, which would probably hurt when it came into contact with dog food, and maybe that's why she's been off her meals; 2.) we've been without any air conditioning in the Texas summer for almost 3 weeks now
and that may have affected her appetite; 3.) the front windows are open in the mornings and evenings when it's cooler outside, and she is distracted in a big way, as she loves to run to each open window, whine a little, and sometimes bark.

She seems otherwise completely fine - she's going to the potty fine, the dogs have both been drinking plenty of water in this heat, and she and Spock are almost as active as ever. I will continue to observe her for a few days, and if we ever get our air conditioning back, maybe it will clear up on its own. But any suggestions you guys could give would be good.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think the heat has a lot to do with it. Duke and Cassie have both been eating less lately and Duke's activity level in the daytime has been slower, too.

I noticed this morning there was still food in both their bowls from yesterday and that never happens. But I do make sure Duke gets a certain amount to keep his weight on since he's pretty lean. So when he's not eating as much as I'd like, I add something to it. Chicken broth works, so does some small chunks of cheese mixed in or lunchmeat. Almost any human food will get Duke to wolf the entire bowl. He is never picky about treats! LOL

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we've finally got a solution.

1.) My boyfriend and his buddy put a window AC unit in the bedroom window for now. The window is 8 feet long and divided down the middle so that the panes slide sideways. To close the hole in the top, the boys cut out some cardboard and duct taped it in place, using some wood pieces to help secure the unit so that it doesn't move. So we have air at night, and the dogs have air during the day. It makes us all happy, even if it's not exactly pretty!

2.) Bones refused to eat this morning, so she didn't get her breakfast. She was a little hungry tonight, but she still didn't want to go for her food, it seemed. So I drizzled a little water over her food to make a little bit of a gravy; I've heard that water can also amplify the smell of something. Spock finished his dinner, so I put him outside so Bones could eat the rest of her meal in peace; a minute later, she was back at my feet, and I turned around to tell her to finish her food - and her bowl was empty! Thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was going to suggest warm water when I saw that you had already figured that out and it worked! Notwithstanding how much ours LOVE food generally, Booker can definitely still be picky about eating her dinner if it isn't appropriately mixed with warm (not hot) water!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts