Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 yr. old Lacey was diagnosised with bone cancer in the right front limb. She has been on a morphine based drug plus tramadol and rimadyl to help with the pain while going thru trying to figure out what it was.

She is scheduled for amputation of the limb on Tues which will make her pain free. Chemo will be administered after that giving her a year of survival. The vet said he's seen cases where dogs can live up to five years after treatment but also cases where dogs fail even though going thru treatment.

Has anyone had any experience with bone cancer or amputation? We plan to have her live her life out in comfort and helping her enjoy every day as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry. I don't know anything about this but I know that if you go to Delphi Forums that they have a Pet Cancer Support group with some very knowledgeable people who might be able to help you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
About 10 years ago we had an 11 year old dog (Cooper) who developed bone cancer in his left front leg.

We debated about it, but given his age we felt the most humane thing we could do was to let him go. It was painful for us, but it was the right thing to do for Cooper.

It's a very difficult decision no matter what you do and I wish both you and Lacey the very best.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
We had a beagle mix named Jake who developed fibrosarcoma in his left hind leg. His leg was amputated as well as part of his hip. He did remarkably well post-op. Unlike humans, dogs don't expect long bedrest and heavy pain med after surgeries like this. Jake was up and ambulating the next day! He adapted well with three legs and we had him for another year. But his cancer returned to his kidney, the kidney was removed and we lost him a few months later. He did not have chemo or radiaation.

We did have experience with chemo 14 years ago with our golden retriever, Ginger. She had a small melanoma on her toe...a very aggresive cancer. The toe was removed, then she had 6 weeks of weekly chemo and radiation for which we drove 6 hours to Houston every week to get. She tolerated the chemo/radiation wonderfully. However, the aggresive cancer came back and we lost her right before that Christmas.

There are different cancers and different treatments. Follow you heart. I know what you are going through and I ache for you. My only advice would be to do what you would have done for yourself. You know what Lacey can take. And make the most of every, single minute that you have.

Good luck,

~Denise

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Any updates on Lacey???

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I've been thinking about Lacey too. I hope she did well and is up and around already. Dogs are amazing like that.

~Denise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts