Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're considering leaving Gage at a kennel for a week this summer while we're on vacation. The only problem is that he has SA. I'm concerned about how he, and they will handle it. We're getting numbers for the places now, and will be asking if they're familiar with it, and what their suggestions are. Gage loves everyone so I'm not concerned about him being afraid of them, but he gets upset if his people leave.

I'm figuring bringing his blanket along would help, and taking him there for a short visit a couple of times. Perhaps we should start him on medication too. I know some of you have dogs with SA. Have you ever boarded them? If anyone has tips on making this go smoothly, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi, I worked at a vets office and if the dog was howling continuosly or really upset we would medicate him. Beagles are difficult to leave upset, so when one came in to be boarded I would pay special attention to him/her. Thats how I got suzy q.
I would not be concerned, just ask to see the kennel and introduce your pup to the attendents. Realize that he may not eat for a bit so take his food for the first few days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Over Christmas last year, we left Wyatt at a kennel when we went to Texas. Wyatt was full blown SA at the time (we didn't have Doc, which has now really helped him calm down when we leave) and it was pretty bad if we even left the room and he couldn't follow. Wyatt's problem was not having anyone around him for companionship, which didn't happen when he was at the kennel. He was so busy trying to smell and play with all the other dogs, that he didn't really realize I had even left. (I watched through the window for 30 minutes...I was worried!!!) Based on my experience and the great advice above, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It couldn't hurt to go out on a few visits just to be familiar with the enviroment and employees. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Let us know how it goes!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Keller, I've never boarded Jersey, but I did worry about her SA problem when I started day care. She had some issues the first couple of times, but got used to it. You may want to do a couple of mini trips to the kennel, just for a day, so that Gage can get used to the place. I'll be going through this myself shortly. We're going to North Carolina for a week in September and I'll have to figure out where Jersey will be staying while we're gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts