Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Livy girl and she’s 17 weeks old amd about 14 ills. When I got her at 10 weeks old she weighed 8 ilbs. I was told she’s pure bred but I’m not too sure if she’s a “blue tick” beagle or mixed with another hound bred. I plan to get the breed testing off Amazon, but until then does anyone think they can tell from her features if she’s purebred or mixed? Just curious! View attachment 42275 View attachment 42275

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my Livy girl and she’s 17 weeks old amd about 14 ills. When I got her at 10 weeks old she weighed 8 ilbs. I was told she’s pure bred but I’m not too sure if she’s a “blue tick” beagle or mixed with another hound bred. I plan to get the breed testing off Amazon, but until then does anyone think they can tell from her features if she’s purebred or mixed? Just curious! View attachment 42275 View attachment 42275
As someone who owns a blue-tick, yours looks pure to me. My girl weighs a ton for her size — she’s all muscle! Only 11 inches & 25 lbs! Males would be a little bigger too. Yours has bigger ears but my girl’s ears are on the smaller-size, I’d say. They’re perfect to me, of course. I have seen a male blue-tick at the dog park & he looked a lot like yours. The only way to be sure is to get the test, of course. Here’s my girl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you get your beagle from a rescue/shelter or breeder? Breeder should have been able to provide you with evidence (ie DNA test results of being purebred, esp if you had the option to register with a breed club, such as AKC in the US if you’re in US), or at least have shown results of dam and sire.). You can also verify results of parents if you have the number.

I see mostly blue tick in the hunting lines (vs conformation) but looks beagle to me. In my humble opinion (not speaking from requirements) meeting a standard is only necessary if you paid for a purebred or want to show/compete. If not, and it looks like a beagle and acts like a beagle, all that matters is love! Purebreds from champion parents go for around $2K for companion beagle. If you paid that much, I certainly would pursue DNA testing depending on your terms of contact. If a rescue-there are no guarantees. I would do DNA just out of curiosity, lol. But I’m a scientist at heart and by education so I’m analytical about everything. It’s a curse -:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you get your beagle from a rescue/shelter or breeder? Breeder should have been able to provide you with evidence (ie DNA test results of being purebred, esp if you had the option to register with a breed club, such as AKC in the US if you’re in US), or at least have shown results of dam and sire.). You can also verify results of parents if you have the number.

I see mostly blue tick in the hunting lines (vs conformation) but looks beagle to me. In my humble opinion (not speaking from requirements) meeting a standard is only necessary if you paid for a purebred or want to show/compete. If not, and it looks like a beagle and acts like a beagle, all that matters is love! Purebreds from champion parents go for around $2K for companion beagle. If you paid that much, I certainly would pursue DNA testing depending on your terms of contact. If a rescue-there are no guarantees. I would do DNA just out of curiosity, lol. But I’m a scientist at heart and by education so I’m analytical about everything. It’s a curse -:)
In all that I forgot to say that hunting lines are often bred to have strong shoulders and endurance over looks and even in a purebred there can be recessive size genes that come out in a pup to be larger or smaller than the standard. That’s often why they become companion animals vs trial performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts