Our Beagle World Forums banner

Blue eyes in Beagles

33K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ReichertCaleb 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a Beagle puppy that has blue eyes keeps them as they grow up or will they change? I don't think I have ever seen a blue eyed Beagle before. I was thinking it might just be a puppy thing or perhaps he will have the lighter eyes (usually green) when he becomes an adult. Just curious so I can let the new owners know.

#4 ·
If full bread, will change to brown...ive never seen one with blue eyes but the genetics in eyes is very complex, so I guess it could happen.

I have seen VERY MANY beagle pups with blue eyes though...most likely will change to brown.

Manda and Snoops

#5 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Pegasus:
If full bread, will change to brown...ive never seen one with blue eyes but the genetics in eyes is very complex, so I guess it could happen.

I have seen VERY MANY beagle pups with blue eyes though...most likely will change to brown.

Manda and Snoops
I agree. I have never seen an adult pedigree beagle with blue eyes (not in the show ring and not as a pet).

#6 ·
Chloe had blue eyes.... they changed color, but not to brown. she now has green eyes (which I think goes great with her coloring /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ).
I have seen many puppies with blue eyes, never a grown dog though. Many times they change to hazel-yellowish color.

#7 ·
I've also heard that pure-bred beagles can only have brown eyes, though they can be different shades of brown.

Don't know anything other than that, so I'm not really much help.

Oftentimes human babies are born with blue eyes and turn to whatever color they're going to be for life by the first year. Maybe it's similar with puppies?

I'll see what I can find out for ya.

#13 ·
I have a 4 month old akc beagle boy who still has his blue eyes I have no idea if this is genetic or if they will change yet, but they are the most beautiful eyes. He’s not a mix breed, if I can get a closeup of his eyes I will post it but Dodger’s eyes are amazing

#15 ·
View attachment 41704 View attachment 41704 This is my anomaly Dodger, he’s my blue eyes, he’s going to be 5 months and the books say he’s to old for them to turn brown, and on top of his eyes he doesn’t bark or howl either, he whines to let me know when he wants out, only thing that worries me is will he ever lift his leg to pee? I think he needs a male role model.......lol, but I am glad he don’t bark

#16 ·
It's nice to have a quiet puppy! Xerxes is a bay-er. He only rarely lifts his leg to pee. Our current puppy Agis SOMETIMES lifts his leg, and he's 10 months now. So it might take a bit more for Dodger.

#19 ·
I hope you guys are right about the barking, I hear ( no pun intended) that beagles are real barkers and have several different types and that they are real diggers too? Only thing Dod likes to to and I tend to let him if I can is chase the rabbits, but after all he’s a beagle and that’s in his blood.

#20 · (Edited)
To post a picture...
Go below and click on the paperclip. It will take you to your gallery of pictures. Pick the photo then send...
Another option is to click on the rectangular box below that looks like a photo and it will bring up a drop box for you to attach a picture. Hope to see some pictures soon.
Oh and thats Cassie inside a pillowcase...thats where she sleeps...lol

Attachments

#21 ·
one of the few gene carriers that can produce beautiful blue eyes. In addition to being one of the blue-eyed dog breeds, let's talk about their Arctic adventures. This breed was developed thousands of years ago in northeastern Siberia by the Chukchi. Created for endurance, the breed's ancestors provided transportation across vast areas. They are also bred for adaptability, enthusiasm and gentleness. And they are also very easy to communicate and can sleep with you on cold nights. The standard for this breed is brown or green almond eyes. They can have two brown eyes with any nuance, two green eyes, one eye each or one color in one eye. Really very diverse! And their fur also varies in color, from pure black to pure white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.