Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, JoJo was diagnosed with worms. She got the deworming treatment and some antibiotics. Her poo firmed back up, the blood and mucus stopped. She was back to her old self again.

Last night, during our run, she stopped to poo and again, there was some bloody mucus present. She was just rechecked on Saturday for the worms (to ensure they're gone) and was fine.

Can stress cause a bloody/mucusy stool? She got a firm talking-to yesterday after causing a huge ruckus in the house and biting the cat. She layed there sulking for a good few hours, not wanting to do much of anything until we went out to run.
She's acting fine otherwise.

Just want to try to rule out any other reasons that won't require costly medical testing. We've dropped $200 on her in the last month in vet visits and well...we just can't afford to go back in at the moment.

·
Registered
847 Posts
She could have a parasite or different type of worms than the medication treated. I'd see how she does over the next couple of days. If it continues, take her into the Vet's. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's hard to say what it could be. I would give the Vet a call just to check if it's something abnormal to be concerned about. Hopefully, you won't have to take her back & it's just something minor.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree on calling the vet. I totally understand the money thing though. We're still paying some credit card bills from some of Daisy's past vet bills.

A few months back Daisy had one of her episodes and gorged herself on grass. Normally she would have thrown it back up but that time she didn't. A day or so later she was having accidents in the house several times a day (both pee and poo) and there was a little bit of blood in her stool. When I talked to the vet he thought it was probably related to the grass and that the grass had probably irritated her system. I kept an eye on her and she was fine the next day. Our vet is pretty good about talking to us over the phone as an initial consultation, maybe your vet would do the same unless he/she really thought you should go in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to watch her closely today and see what's going on. I should call the vet...I don't know why I don't ever think to do it. I think to me, I think OH NO! NOT ANOTHER VET VISIT!

Our cat has costly medical issues with his stomach, and all I tend to see is $$$ when I think about the vet. Fortunately, JoJo is on a wellness plan at Banfield, so it helps to dramatically lower the cost of her bills...but still.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was she ever tested for Giardia? Sometimes that will cause bloody stools. To confirm Giardia a sample has to be sent to the lab.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay...went to the vet this morning. Monday night and yesterday afternoon, she'd passed strictly bloody mucus when she pooed.

Worm check was negative and the vet felt it could be stress colitis.
She brought a lot of baggage with her when we adopted her, and she's always seemed to get stressed easily, especially when she gets fussed at for getting into things or nipping at the cat...which she's been doing more and more lately.
The conservative (less expensive) approach was to give her an anti-biotic and anoter med (have to go look at the name) that should help clear up anything in her digestive tract and help get her back to normal.
The less-conservative approach would've been closer to $400 and would've involved X-rays, hours worth of radiology testing, blood work, etc. That'll be our next step in this keeps happening.

Anyone ever deal with stress colitis?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: TwoLuWas she ever tested for Giardia? Sometimes that will cause bloody stools. To confirm Giardia a sample has to be sent to the lab.
She wasn't ever tested as far as I know, that was one of the tests on the list but it was a $120 test. She's not vomitting, which was one of the symptoms on the pamphlet at the vet. She's definitely not losing weight.
And she's essentially her typical self with the blood/mucus poo exception.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, Giardia is an expensive test.

My dad's dane had stress colitis and I had my dad put him on a RAW diet and he never had another bout of colitis and that was 4 years ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the vet is having us cook for her. Cooked chicken and rice (bland, for a few days)...I'm enjoying cooking for her, and am thinking about doing it permanently.
I'll have to post a thread and get some good tips and recipes!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had a gsd that had colitis. Its not fun to go through. I always kept (and still do) rice in the house. Just in case of any accidents.

Keep us posted....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts