Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Mizu out on a family trip this weekend. I've noticed since that he has had runny stools today. I just took him out for his last potty break before bedtime & he pooped which is not normal. It was also runny. I picked up what I could and we rushed back in the house. I saw a lilttle rubber circle in it too. Anyhow I wiped his behind and noticed a light red clot. God I am so worried and now can't sleep. It's soon to be 10pm here. I really hope its not like parvo virus or anything else serious. I also noticed that he was not too thrilled about his food today.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jenny, I'd be worrying as well. Anything slightly abnormal for my girls and we are off to the vet.

Did you keep the clot and poop that you wiped up? If you did, I'd be off to the vet first thing in the morning with the sample and Mizu so the vet has something to be tested.

I hope he's okay!

(... Erin)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Definitely have him checked out, but to hopefully help you sleep better in the meantime I have been told that blood in the poop is a common and usually harmless side-effect of diarrhea in dogs... and does not necessarily mean anything is wrong beyond the simple fact that he has diarrhea, and there can be soooo many causes of that.

Hope he feels better in the morning.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wonder if it could be parasites? I would call the vet 1st thing in the am as long as there aren't any other symptoms. With diarrhea, make sure she is drinking water to prevent dehydration. Good luck. Julie

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh NO!!! He is getting worse. I woke up cause Mizu was making a weird noise and he threw up. Then I took him outside and he had runny poop again and I wiped his behind and again there was a clot. Ok I am really starting to freak out here!! After that Mizu threw up 2 times. His vomit was pretty thick and brown. The second time he threw up it look like logs of poop. My boyfriend took him right after that and Mizu was like straining really hard to go poop. We they came back I noticed blood dripping! Ok I really freaked out then!!! I wiped him. Soo much blood !!! I am calling the vet at 7 on the dot! I am really really worried now!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif We gave him some water too. Should I not give him his morning breakfast ? I can't go to sleep now. I seriously feel like crying and calling in sick to work to take care of him, but we are short staffed at the hospital so my boyfriend is taking the day off.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you have emergency animal hospitals in your area? I don't know that you want to use a different vet, but I wouldn't be able to sleep either and I know you would feel better if you could at least call and talk to someone at the 24 hour animal clinics. I wish you and your buddy well.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This sounds very similar to something that happened with Jersey last Christmas. It ended up that she had gotten into something (I think the garbage that had leaked out of my neighbors trash that was sitting in the hallway) that made her sick. She was doing the exact same thing as Mizu. Throwing up and diarrhea that ended up being very bloody. She was laying in bed next to me shaking and shivering. We took her to the animal emergency and they gave her a shot to stop the vomiting and something to help with the diarrhea. My vet gave me some more pills and some special food to feed her for the next few days (Hills Science Diet W/D & Metronidazole). The blood scared me, but the vet said as long as it was bright red, not to worry too much. That means that it's happening from the excessive diarrhea. If it had been a darker red or brown, that would be reason to be concerned as that could mean internal bleeding.

I hope little Mizu is OK! I'll keep you in my thoughts! Give him some extra Beagle lovin' for me.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Please let us know, when you can, how poor little Mizu is doing today and what the vet said. I'm thinking of you both. I know how worried you must be, I get the same way about my animals. The good news? It always works out to be something minor. Hoping Mizu's issues are minor and quickly resolved.

My lab, Roscoe, had blood in his stool once. It was because we had given him a rib bone (years ago, when we were to stupid to know any better) and he picked up a bacteria from it. Some antibiotics and all was well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
oh no! if it helps any, holly was recently diagnosed with giardia and had the runny diarrhea and vomiting symtoms. the blood was a bright red and the vet said that it was a result of the straining from trying to go to the bathroom. let us know as soon as you know what might be wrong =(

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope you get good news from the vet. We had a scare with Snoopy recently so know how you feel. Here there is an emergency animal clinic but our own vet also makes 24 hour calls in an emergency.
Hope all is well with Mizu.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Breakfast at Tiffany's:
oh no! if it helps any, holly was recently diagnosed with giardia and had the runny diarrhea and vomiting symtoms. the blood was a bright red and the vet said that it was a result of the straining from trying to go to the bathroom. let us know as soon as you know what might be wrong =(
Giardia is commom with pups, Charlie had it when he was small from drinking dirty water or simply walking in the park. if you can scoop up some stool sample before you walk in the vet. Hope everything is well.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Poor Mizu...fingers and paws crossed over here for good news.

I've lost count of the number of times this happened with Rosa. She had a delicate stomach when she was younger and eating the slightest wrong thing would result in runny bloody poop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everybody! Mizu seems back to normal. I tried to get an appointment in with the vet but they were all booked so my boyfriend stayed home yesterday to monitor him and gave him plenty of fluids. So I get home from work and call the to see if there were any cancellations and they said can you come in NOW. I said sure I can make it in 15-20 minutes cause of the traffic. Then she says well I can't promise we will see him then. I was so pissed off. As if!! They wanted us to be there right at that second.
Anyways they said he if got worse to go the the ER Vet. Luckily Mizu is back to his normal hyper self. His poop is normal now also. I was so and still kinda mad about the vet. I feel like changing vets now. How can you tell me yes you can in then say no ? It's not like the vet is a block away!!
I am just happy Mizu is feeling alot better!!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad that Mizu is feeling better. It sounds like he just got into something that had to run it's course through his system.

As for the vet, I'd be upset too! How could they expect you to be there immediately? I would think that 15-20 minutes is NOW! I'd defintitely give the office manager or vet himself a call and let them know what happened.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts