Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night and this morning that Max has a little blood in his stool. He has pretty loose stools so it's not from constipation. I'm not sure what it could be though, he hasn't had anything other than his dog food. I guess I'll put in a call to the vet.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Could he be eating any plants in your backyard. I know when we had our litter of pups they chewed down a plant out back and had some blood in their stools because of it. I took in a sample and the vet said they found plant matter in the stool and that's what it was from.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Ya, I'd grab a sample and take it in. It could be a parasite or worms.
He was just tested 2 weeks ago and was all clear, but who knows

·
Registered
320 Posts
I noticed that about Zelda once. I took her in right away just to be safe... she did manage to grab one SMALL grape the night before

The vet said it probably wasn't the grape because it was so small and it could not have had made damage like that.

It really could be anything. Has it rained lately?? Perhaps he licked a puddle or something on the ground. Our vet said that was a large possibility because it was really rainy around here when it happened to Zelda.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
It never hurts to get it checked. But ours have blood in their stool occasionally. I feed them cooked rice and boiled chicken for a few days and they get over it. Sometimes they eat grass and our vet says they do this when they have a stomach ache or just because. But the grass causes gastroenteritis (imflamation of the colin). Sometimes our vet calls it garbage pail itis.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
They tested Roscoe for giardia a while back when he kept having loose stool. He didn't have it but the vet told me that people get it too. Usually campers who drink the bacteria in water. Dogs can get it from puddles and such. They gave Roscoe a prescription that was also used to treat giardia, she (the vet) didn't make a big deal over it and said it was treatable with med.

Just thought I would share b/c that was the first time I had heard of it and now I hear about it quite a bit!

·
Registered
991 Posts
My three were constantly coming down with giardia. We are overrun with geese at a local park where I walk the beagles and the goose poop is more of a temptation than they can stand. Sniff, chomp, sniff, chomp. Even if only one of them snacks on the disgusting green goo, it ended up getting transmitted via the water bowl. They now get a shot to ward it off. I also do not let them drink from the lake - it being a toilet bowl for geese.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie had giardia when we got her. You need to be careful because you can get it from Max. My vet had us be extra careful about hand washing. Also make sure to clean the yard up after her right away so she doesn't get reinfected. Maggie had to go through more than one course of treatment before she tested clear. She also had the shot during her treatment to prevent being reinfected.
Its good that you caught it early before Max became very sick.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My Maggie also had Giardia, and if I remember, it was treated with Flagyl and another drug that I don't remember the name of. After she finished the medication, she was rechecked and was clear. She never had any symptoms, and the only reason we found out she had it was from a routine puppy stool sample.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieMy Maggie also had Giardia, and if I remember, it was treated with Flagyl and another drug that I don't remember the name of.
Maybe Centrine, for the diarrhea?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*sigh* Well, it appears that Daisy has it too. So, now I have the powder for removing the intestinal parasite plus antibiotics for both. Daisy gets hers twice a day and Max only once and I have to be very careful to make sure that Max doesn't get any more than his one a day dose (eating Daisy's, etc) because it could cause big problems.

Never a dull moment!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm so sorry, I can only imagine what a pain this all is, hang in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts