Our Beagle World Forums banner

Bloat

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  we3beagles 
#1 ·
Unbelievable! When my ex husband left for work yesterday he put the dogs in their crates because we are selling the house and had a showing so doggies cannot be free. I got home at 4pm and they all came out and had big drinks as it was hot. Soon after I went out to help show a foster home how to train loose leash walking and got home around 9pm. As soon as I saw Polly I freaked. She looked like she had swallowed a basketball and it had lodged behind her ribcage. She was humongous. I immediately called the emergency hospital and told them we were on our way. Apparently, my soon to be ex had left the pantry door open and gone upstairs to shower. Polly (13 years old) spilled the dry food for foster dogs all over the floor and had eaten about 2 pounds of it. The water in the afternoon had made it swell. I just could not believe it. She looked ridiculous and absolutely bovine. After the doc gave her a shot she spent the next 30 minutes heaving up the remains. $300 + change later she is back to her old ravenous self. Silly little senior.

#2 ·
Wow! poor baby, I would have been on the floor with her terrified! We would find suzy searching for food so we bought a plastic container to put the food in, now she can just smell it and lick her lips. Dogs are so much like children, if you can't see them and they are quiet then they are up to NO GOOD. It's a good thing you can home when you did because who knows what could have happened!

#3 ·
Bloat in cattle or sheep (rudiment animals with multiple stomachs) is deadly....many times we treated bloat on the farm by forcing gas out; in extreme cases, with emergency surgery in the field to save lives.

Did the vet say the she was in danger of dying?? I'm curious.....can dogs eat themselves to death like rudiment animals can? Does anyone know? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
(If so, all our beloved beagles would be the first to do it!!) :redface:

#7 ·
no. the doc said there was no way she would have passed that much food. the only option was to throw it up or she would need a stomach tube. the gas kind of bloat is caused by the twisting of the stomach and that is deadly in a very short amount of time, but Polly's stomach was completely blocked. you should have seen the xray. I could even see the chicken bones she ate for dinner (yes on top of all that food she ate dinner too).

#8 ·
Wow.....

blockage is always a fear with a trash-compactor-dog like our beloved beagles I suppose....

thanks for the info! It sounds like you had a scary situation and I'm so glad it resolved itself happily (I hope the ex-husband felt bad!)

#9 ·
Sorry to hear that. Murphy has done this twice. We called the vet and they said if he does not poo in 24 hours to induce vomiting. He went on his own and returned to his normal shape in two days. We just cut back his intake for that time.

Chicken bones, they are bad... period. They can splinter and cause damage to the throat and stomach. Please avoid them getting chicken bones.

I hope all is well.

#10 ·
Our first beagle, Bilbo, raided a sack of dried food whilst she was in board. The people were worried sick because she too blew up like a ball when she drank. I don't know how they treated her but they kept the dried food up high after that.

#11 ·
Actually, chicken bones are a part of her everyday diet and only splinter and do harm when they are cooked. As part of a raw diet they help keep teeth clean and make up the bone content portion of the diet. And yes ex hubby felt pretty bad, but I am sure given the chance it would happen again. I cannot wait till the house sells and we can live separately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.