Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we made what was supposed to be a 1hr & 30 minute drive to meet Blackjack...

One of my sons gets carsick, so he vomited along the way, we had to pull over, do the clean up, he was COVERED... *ick* (((poor baby))) super stinky, already running late due to traffic, we had to stop at a store to clean him off and buy him clean clothes. We called ahead to explain why we where running late, they understood and we continued on our way...

We made it to our destination 2 hours & 30 minutes later.

We enter the home and there is Blackjack, I kneel to greet him and immediately my face is covered in slobbery kisses *YAY*!!! :thumbup: *THANK GOODNESS* *yikes*

I took several pictures while I took him for a few walks, I took him for 3 while he was home. This boy has a WONDERFUL *AROOO!* (boy oh boy did I miss that) :heart:

He is so masculine looking and pure MUSCLE... he's a good lookin boy Beag.

I doubt I'll get this answered tonight... but hopefully someone will give me some advise tonight...

He used to sleep on his big BedPillow on the floor next to the bed in the bedroom of his previous owners rooms before.

They would crate him when they would leave the house.

Do you think he would feel more comfortable tonight being crated or should we just offer him his pillow in our bedroom?

(he has bonded grately to my husband already, which is ironic, as he is scared of dogs, he was scared of bailey... but he said its funny... he is not scared of Blackjack... he said this is the first dog he has ever been confortable with... infact right now... my husband is on the couch reading and Blackjack is sleeping on him... awwwe) :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
:bounce: Of courst you'll get this replied tonight!!! He is gorgeous, and such a great smile he has...
I can't give you any tips regarding the crating thing, since I'm only learning this stuff with Chloe as I go along, but I guess you should do whatever you think feels most natural and comfortable for him tonight.
By the way, I discovered the Kong toy today, got it for Chloe and filled it w/ tablespoon of peanutbutter and she loves it, keeps her occupied for hours. I understand its good for behaviour and anxiety problems... recommended so far.
Congrats and enjoy him as best you can... belly rubs from Chloe and me
:woohoo:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so happy for you and Blackjack and your family. He obviously knows where he belongs. I think I might offer him his pillow tonight and see if he settles down, especially if that is what you plan to do on a regular basis. It must have helped his family say good by when they saw the great home he is getting. He's a handsome beagle.Looking forward to more stories.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my goodness - he is adorable! And it sounds like you have fallen in love with each other already (the story about him escaping and running into your van is priceless).

I would recommend for the first night putting his pillow in your bedroom AND the crate, with the door open - so that Blackjack can decide for himself what he feels most comfortable doing...

Wishing you many, many happy years with the new member of your family!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Fantastic news that you have Blackjack home safely. How did your first night go? He is a beautiful beagle boy. We wish you and your family all the best with your new member. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congrats Louri! Blackjack is soooo handsome! It sounds like he was meant to be with you and your family. I love the van story. That must have been so cute!

How dis the first night go? I would have said the same thing that Maria said. Give him both options and let him choose what he wants. If he's used to sleeping on the pillow, that's probably what he'll choose to do.

I'm so happy for you Louri, really. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories about your life with Blackjack! :heart:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He chose to sleep on his big square pillow doggie bed next to our bed last night.

We told him to go to his bed, he laid down on it & stayed there ALL night! (WHAT A GOOD BOY)

He was there in the morning, I took him for a long walk... hoping he would eat this morning...

Last night we offored him a meal (his previous owners fed Purina something dont know what its in a big clear bag w/ Beef Science Diet in a can mixed) I plan to transition to something else and do all dry food, but for now the goal is to get him to eat. Anyway... we offored him a meal last night, he did not eat... that tells me that of course he is certialy nervous... certianly... who wouldn't be, being torn out of all that you have known for 3 years and being put somewhere new, and you have 2 cats stalking you watching your every move (here I thought my cats would be afraid of him... lol, they are actually following HIM around checking HIM out... weird) Anyway... he did not eat last night, I figured he wouldnt...

This morning I took him for a nice 45 minute walk, figured he would be ready. Nope, not yet.

He has taken treats from us and gobbled those up... but not eaten his food.

Any suggestions on this... Just time and patience probably huh?

I know A friend of mine got a rescue it took 2 days and her dog didnt eat till the 3rd day, she was actually set to go to the vet the 3rd day LOL... but her dog ate that morning.

Other than that, it seems he has attached himself to my husband /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif but that's ok, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif other than he goes to work every day & I'm home near 24/7 LOL. But when my husband goes out the door... BOY does Blackjack throw a FIT. LOL. Big ol' SAD AROO's and whines.

that's this mornings updates. :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! I'm so happy for you and your family. Blackjack is beautiful.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Louri: Super congratulations on what sounds like a smooth transition. Blackjack is very handsome! I wouldn't worry about him not eating his food -- just be careful with the treats. If that is all he is eating for a few days, it might take even longer for him to eat his food -- he'll hold out for treats. When you are giving him treats, I would suggest that you be the one to do that in an effort to help forge his bond with you. That will certainly happen anyway since he will soon realize he has you and the kids with him all day. You might start mixing in whatever food you are going to give him along with his previous food -- might entice him a bit. I have usually taken a week to make a full transition when switching foods. Instead of the canned food, you might try some low sodium canned chicken broth. Cheaper and still flavorful. So looking forward to stories and pictures -- I am just thrilled for your whole family!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Welcome BlackJack; love your smile......looking forward to more pictures :wave:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah I am sooooooooo glad he has transitioned into your home so well. Sounds like (for the time being anyhow) everything has fit together with all of you perfectly. I am sure there will be bumps in the road, but have faith, it sounds like a great match!!
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome home Blackjack!! Yeah another beagle in the Chicago area!

Bella and Badger send their AROOOOOOOOOs!!! :bounce: :bounce2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:Originally posted by jdetmering:
Yeah I am sooooooooo glad he has transitioned into your home so well. Sounds like (for the time being anyhow) everything has fit together with all of you perfectly. I am sure there will be bumps in the road, but have faith, it sounds like a great match!!
Judi and the gang
He seems to be doing great! Now he is eating :thumbup: :bounce2: He plays with his toys during the day.

Today, after a big walk during the day the kids were blowing bubbles and Blackjack was chasing after the bubbles and catching them and having a BLAST! & the kids were having a BLAST! It was a perfect day! I couldn't be happier! I am so thankful for this guy. :happyhappy: :heart:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts