Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Fizz really likes to chew! infact if shes awake and not eating then something has to be in her mouth. She has plenty of toys but always likes the furniture or the kids, which were having trouble dealing with but thats another story. I've been reading on here about bitter apple spray being a good deterant, thing is i've not seen this in the UK. Could someone from the UK give me a heads up on finding some please. I bought some antichew spray from the local pet shop which encourges Fizz to chew even more, it must taste like sausage!! (says on the back of the bottle deters 99% of dogs) yeah right!! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer destroyed a couch, coffee table, end table, and stairway accents. She had a taste for expensive women's leather shoes (much to my wifes dismay). Bitter apple didn't help us either. What did help, was the old rule: "If you don't want it chewed, don't leave it in puppy reach." Constant correction and giving them something else to chew works. Be sure to praise Fizz when he does chew the right thing.

The good news is that they eventually grow out of it.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Bitter apple never worked for my mother's dog. They lost a couch, coffee table, trim and many pairs of shoes. My mother's dog was also a rescue so may have had some anxiety or something.

Abby went through a chewing stage also. I never tried the bitter apple or no-chew stuff. She grew out of it after awhile, don't remember exactly how long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bitter Apple didn't work for Snoopy either..we've been through 2 couches, the kitchen table legs, highchair, skirting boards and anything else he can get his little choppers on.
I even soaked a bit of bread with bitter apple and put it on the kitchen bench to try and deter him from stealing food from there. He ate it ...kind of had a funny look on his face but ate it none the less. Kind of like "is foood...must eeeaaat"....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have a massive futon in the "living room", and Chloe chewed up the corners, but not too bad (caught her.... hehe). However, I lost a couch (ate all the stuffing), 2 laptop AC-adaptors /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif and the cable box cable (had to call them to replace it....).
I finally got the bitter apple, and I'm not sure, but it seemed to work, I just sprayed the entire house with it :hi: . If I'm at home, I spray her nose with mint spray whenever she is doing something she souldn't, somehow it works better than NO!
All in all, when I leave the house I don't leave anything that is important to me out there, since if she gets boring, and done with the kong - she'll just go ahead and chew something - anything!!!

You should try it, it's just a few $$.... it's not going to encourage her to chew more, but it might actually reduce some of the chewing.

You can be a little optimistic though.... the chewing reduces a lot when they are past the teething phase :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
48 Posts
You also might try simple white vinegar...they don't like the smell of it and will not go near it (the same that bitter apple does)...also, it really helps to clean up a spot with white vinegar if your puppy had an accident in the house...vinegar will deter them away from that spot in the future..

the only thing would be to reapply it on furniture and stuff every 2-3 days since the effect does wear off over a period of time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts