Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Dobby | 3 months | Beagle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Me and my family recently adopted a 3 month old beagle named Dobby and the most difficult thing we’ve found to deal with is Dobby’s biting, he’s always biting at our hands and arms, we’ve tried many attempts to cut down on the biting such as giving him a toy to bite on instead, saying “NO!” while keeping a straight face, tapping his snout and picking him up and putting him on his back. I’ve also been trying to educate myself heavily on this subject since i’m kind of new to taking care of a pup and found out it’s a phase and it will eventually pass in a couple of months but i’m desperate to find out if there’s anything else i could do to teach him to not bite us since it seems that the word “No” doesn’t mean anything to him and that he thinks we’re playing with him.

here’s Dobby with his stuffed monkey

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Welcome. Your puppy is adorable.
Puppy biting happens about your dogs age and lasts a few months.. its not aggression so dont spank..or punish by putting him in a crate. You do want him to love his crate. Here are some tips:
  • dont get your dog overly excited with rough housing..the dog will nip.
  • dont sit on the floor and play..the dog will nip.
  • give your dog periodic naps in a crate..a tired puppy will nip.
  • cup the dog food in your hands and let your dog eat from your hands..ever hear?.. dont bite the hand thst feeds you. Your dog wont bite then and its great for bonding. Do this for a couple of weeks.
  • say NO or OUCH!! When your dog starts biting.
  • keep your puppy in a restricted area..too much freedom confuses your dog and gets them overly excited and the nipping starts.
When your dog starts nipping give a chew toy and walk away.
  • watch any children in your house to prevent getting injured.
  • say the dogs name so they start listening..

This phase will pass.. it is a challenging time. Im a puppy survivor.
This is Cassie..a "former" biter..lol. she will be 9yrs old this coming week.

·
Registered
Dobby | 3 months | Beagle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Your puppy is adorable.
Puppy biting happens about your dogs age and lasts a few months.. its not aggression so dont spank..or punish by putting him in a crate. You do want him to love his crate. Here are some tips:
  • dont get your dog overly excited with rough housing..the dog will nip.
  • dont sit on the floor and play..the dog will nip.
  • give your dog periodic naps in a crate..a tired puppy will nip.
  • cup the dog food in your hands and let your dog eat from your hands..ever hear?.. dont bite the hand thst feeds you. Your dog wont bite then and its great for bonding. Do this for a couple of weeks.
  • say NO or OUCH!! When your dog starts biting.
  • keep your puppy in a restricted area..too much freedom confuses your dog and gets them overly excited and the nipping starts.
When your dog starts nipping give a chew toy and walk away.
  • watch any children in your house to prevent getting injured.
  • say the dogs name so they start listening..

This phase will pass.. it is a challenging time. Im a puppy survivor.
This is Cassie..a "former" biter..lol. she will be 9yrs old this coming week.
View attachment 42112
Thank you so much for your help! Will definitely try all of these out, still planning on getting that crate tho! Cassie’s a beauty😘

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Get that crate soon or then you're dealing with a whiny dog..
Cassie loves her crate even now at her age. She goes in her crate on her own for naps during the day and sleeps in it at night without needing to close the door.
l

1 - 4 of 4 Posts