Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Mugsy is 9 weeks old. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif He has been a lot of work, but it is definately worth it. However, Nick and I would love to know if anyone could offer us some advice on biting. He has started to bite us quite a bit. We have tried to cry out when he does it, like his brothers and sisters would have done, but that very rarely works. We give him bones and other things to chew on, but a lot of the time he ignores them and goes right back to us. Is this something he will grow out of? How can we break him of it? The breeder told us to tap him on the nose with two fingers, but that isn't working, and I don't want to start hitting him. She also showed us a submissive hold, but once he is calm and we let him back up, he starts in again. Nick's friend at work said to pull down on his bottom jaw so they will let go, but it looks like that could hurt him. It also doesn't work when he gets tiny bits of skin (like the skin on my wrist...where he really got me today).

I don't want him to grow up to be a biter. Will he grow out of it? Is there some sort of technique I can use to make him stop it?

Angi (who is going to bed...sad she hasn't had time for BW, but loving the time spent with her furbaby)

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I've had the same problem with Maggie, and none of the suggestions I've seen (offering a toy/diversion, crying out, etc.) has worked. BUT...she started losing her baby teeth a couple of weeks ago and although her biting us hasn't stopped, it definitely doesn't hurt as much as it did with her baby teeth!

I think they do eventually grow out of it. My Molly was also a big biter when she was a puppy, but did grow out of it...I just don't remember what age that was. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hihi.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You have to be persistent! Choose one of the following:
1) crying out: NO and when he stops, give him a chew toy. When he chews on that, say good boy.

2) Soad a face towel, squeeze a little and put in the freezer. Give it to him when frozen, it relieves the pain when they chew on it.

3) Use a can with coins*** or a spray bottle (I used water and then upgraded to mint breath spray). Spray it to his nose when he bites. He WILL stop after a few times, especially if you use the mint. It doesn't hurt them, and after a few times, whenever you just reach out for the bottle, the take a step back! guaranteed! It also helped me when eating and she was jumping on the table trying to get the food!!!!!

Whatever you choose, stick with it! With beagles you get no where if you don't repeat. a lot.

Good luck!

*** the coins are to make noise. you rattle it when he bites to "spook" him. Personally I find the noise annoying too much (for my ears) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the same problem with Zoey but I am slowly but surely seeing her growing out of it. It always seems worse after a long day of alot of play and i can see shes fighting to stay awake. Like Chloes Mom said be persistant. I keep all of her toys in a box and rotate so that she is less likely to become bored with them. When I go to offer her a toy to chew on she has a choice and usually the one that interests her is the one that she has'nt seen in quite a while if this does'nt work I'll put her in a gated hallway with no toys to play with for a minute or two. Without any thing to distract her she usually just lays down and takes her nap. If she continues to be nippy as a last resort I always keep a new toy hidden that I'll bring out to keep her teeth occupied. What dog can resist something new to chew on? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif Its a constant battle but at least I can see I'm begining to win. Be persistant with whatever method you use and you'll see results. Good Luck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts
The spray bottle of water worked well for us. You can also try spraying your hands with bitter apple. Just remember not to put your fingers in your own mouth /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Where do you buy bitter apple, and is it safe to put on fabric? Maggie has already chewed a corner off my coffee table, and now she's working on the throw pillows on the couch and the back of one of my reclyner chairs. She's quite the destructive one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bitter apple is available at most pet stores - look for it with the behavioral stuff with supplements, flea repellent, etc. And I've used it on my furniture with no ill effects. Of course, my house is half decorated with Craiglisted items /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif so nothing's too fancy to spray down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Linus has the same problem wow..can't wait till he's past this phase..he drew blood today on the edge of my fingernail...actually it wasn't from playing it was him grabbing some gum off the ground and I was trying to get it out of his mouth..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be very, very careful NOT to put the bitter apple bottle near ANY heat-producing appliance! We didn't think, and put one on top of the dryer -- then ran the dryer! The bitter apple evaporated because of the heat and the WHOLE HOUSE smelled like bitter apple for days!!! Yuck!!!

I use the squirt bottle but I use one part vinegar for 3 or 4 parts water -- works fine, and vinegar is totally organic! (and doesn't stink up the house if you accidentally leave it on the dryer!)

·
Registered
959 Posts
We used the spray bottle technique on Cobi, who is now 7. He was an abused little pup when we got him, so there were many things about him, that we had to be careful not to mimic. He is still afraid or very protective around men...doesn't like guys at all...so we have to tell our friends to let us know they are coming, and we kennel him for both protection and showing him his nipping isn't acceptable. When he nips at us, we spray him with the bottle. It's worked, but often he slips. You don't want him nipping at strangers or friends...that could cause big trouble, and he needs to know that this is just not what "good" boys do.

Good luck!

Cathy J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts