Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker is turning 6 months next Tuesday and lately he has been biting pretty hard. The only time he is biting hard is when we try to get something out of his mouth. Today he was sneaky and managed to get a whole pack of gum and he would not let me take it out, and when I went to get it he bit my hand really hard almost puncturing it. Is this a stage or is there something I could do to prevent him from biting so hard esp. when I am trying to get something out of his mouth?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Stage.

Murphy did the same thing around 6 months. When it happened we gave a quick, sharp, loud OUCH! and turned away from him. He soon learned that that behavior wouldn't get him any attention and hurt us. After a while it was clear that our pain bothered him. It's been a while since he has nipped hard.

Whatever you do don't hit or smack him (I'm sure you wouldn't).

·
Registered
837 Posts
He sounds like he is testing the boundaries. It reads as if he is having a go at you for taking something he wants off him. I would be nipping this in the bud now or he could turn into a resource guarder.

How much training do you do with him? What is your routine when you feed him?

I would have a read of this article and ensure you implement NILIF in your every day interactions with him:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Nilif sounds great. Cesar Milan has similar views. Just the simple things like walking in and out of the room before the dog, works wonders. Susi always hangs back anyway, but Snoopy used to dash through, now he waits and lets us go first. Feeding time they get very excited, he drools and spins round and round, Susi wags her tail like mad. Both now sit, for two seconds, before i put their bowls down. They seem to think it a great game. The only one we find difficult is not making a fuss of them when they come up and nudge us. There we give in. Most evenings are spent cuddling them. The dont play fetch- never learnt to play as pups. Their biggest treat, apart from food, is going for long walks. They sit whilst their harnesses are being put on or off. They worship my husband, so I take it he is Alpha dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts