Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, please tell me this is normal and gets better? I love my puppy but I’m feeling depressed at the moment after he yet again bit me and drew blood. He is almost 3 months old now, and has drawn blood with me, my parents, brother, and my friend that came to meet him. I have a new scar every day, not to mention the hundreds of dollars worth of clothes that he’s ripped up (I wish I was exaggerating)

I’ve already hired two professional trainers. The first one, said to say no firmly and push him away. This did not work AT ALL. It worked him up even more and he would even wag his tail. It probably made the problem worse.

The second one said to use a prong collar at all time and just pull him off when he bites. First of all, it doesn’t even phase him that much and he still pulls hard. But even worse, today I was bathing him without a collar and I was honestly scared, he was out of control while drying off and I had no way of handling him. I don’t think pulling him off is getting the message across.

Other things I tried:
  • Bitter spray: he doesn’t care
  • yelping/screaming: sometimes it startles him enough for me to get away, but if he’s really worked up it does nothing, and he goes back to it after a few seconds either way
  • letting the body part go limp: not sure how I can do that with my feet on the ground? Also most of the time I’m in actual pain and need to get away
  • Ignoring him: same as above; in a typical scenario he is latching onto my feet/pants/hand and won’t let go, and I need to get him off of it.
  • distracting with a toy: simply doesn’t work?? Maybe if he’s already calm, I can replace one toy with another
  • putting him in crate/playpen when he bites: I do that, not seeing much improvement. But I can’t do it unceremoniously (as is typically recommended) for the reasons described above.
  • giving a treat before he bites: I just started doing that. I can continue if it works? I’m not sure if it’s clear to him that I’m giving him treats for not biting

Is this normal? How long did it take you to train your beagle puppies not to bite? Im so sad it’s gotten to the point where I’m sometimes scared of him at only 11-12 weeks!! 😞 a lot of the time, he is very sweet and I really adore him. I’m getting a third professional trainer in a couple of weeks but looking for ideas in the meantime. Here he is looking adorable earlier today
Dog Carnivore Comfort Companion dog Snout

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Oh boy I cant tell you how many new puppy owners have gone through the same experience and put out a cry for help. Its obvious you havent read up on puppy behavior. I have posted hundreds of recommendations to deal with this. Go to SEARCH on this forum and put in key words:
Biting/nipping
All puppies do this..your puppy is right at the age it starts and it will last a few months. Im a puppy survivor so here goes...

1. Restrict the dogs area..too much freedom gets them overly excited. Plus you wont have pee and poop everywhere.
2. Dont yell or spank..it just makes matters worse.
3. Cup your dog's food in your hands and let him eat..do this for a couple of weeks. As the saying goes...don't bite the hand that feeds you..
4. Dont play excitable games. Dont sit on the floor and play with the dog. Keep shoes on or your toes will get nipped.
5. Give your dog a hard chew toy for his age..not soft cute toys.
6. Crate train your dog.your dog needs naps. When they are tired they get nippy.
7. I see from your picture that your dog is on a bed...thats a no no.. now he thinks he's the boss.
8. Always use his name and say the same words so he gets to understand you.
9. Get a CLICKER at the petstore or on line. Its a great training tool. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
I think a trainer at this stage may be a little early..

Cassie says Hi...a former biter
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

Clicker
Body jewelry Rectangle Material property Font Magenta

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Hi again..
Your dog is very cute!

Playing excitable games or roughhousing starts the biting.
This is a good time to start training simple commands.
Sit... when the dog sits you click the clicker..
Down...
Etc.
Watch any electrical cords..puppies love to chew on them.
This is a challenging time but it does get better..
Cassie loves her crate..she's 10yrs old now and goes in it on her own. Dont use a crate for punishment. I always give a tiny treat to make it a good place. Since you have a puppy close the door when he goes in.
Dog Vertebrate Dog supply Dog breed Toy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I can completely relate to you; I adopted/rescued frankie from a pretty negligent home when she was 4 months old, and in the beginning she was very very bitey, 4 months later I still have some scars. When I first got her it was so bad my right arm was completely covered in scabs and bite marks, and I've cried a few times from her bites.

anyway

(I'm a first time dog owner but this is what worked for me)

I noticed exercise has a big factor, the more nice sniffy long walks she has the more likely she is to want to chill and relax with a chew. On that point, food delivering toys like kongs, bob-a-lot or even a diy bottle or sniff mat help because it keeps her stimulated while the chews help her with that need to bite something. Don't forget that your puppy is teething and you (comparatively) are quite soft.

I also gave her a lot of frozen veg like carrots that could help relieve her teething. Second thing, is to always have a leash on your puppy (I harness her too because I'm worried of the pressure on her neck), so that when it's shark attack time you have something you can control. On the treats, I used to have a fanny pack of treats that could help in a pinch, ex. she's biting so I would throw the treat to distract her, but like you I wasn't 100% on the efficacy. On the other hand, if you showed him the treat and he lets go of whatever is in his mouth (you or otherwise), it's a great chance to teach leave it.

I had a trainer and he reccomended for the time where she's a biter, to not use any soft toys. He said that if she gets used to chewing and biting soft toys, she'll also think its okay to chew other soft things like you or furniture.

He also said that everytime she bites and you pull your hand away and show signs of pain like yelping etc. it will just excite her because she 'wins'. He recommended getting carpenter gloves or something super durable so that if your beagle starts biting you can use the gloves to remove their mouth off of you but also when they then latch onto the gloves you can stay calm and say no in a deep pitch (personally, I have a high tone so it didnt matter what pitch I used because she started to understand stop and no). He told me that you should stand your ground and wait for the dog to give up but it is very important to stay as calm as possible. This took a lot of repitition, and time.

Another point he mentioned that if she bit me and I didnt have the time or the energy to face her head on I should time her out (using the gloves to get her off of me), I would also leave the room because I also took that time to calm myself down, wash my wounds, etc. This is what I did in the start because I was so emotionally exhausted from the biting and just general puppy blues. But, as I got used to her biting I could stay calmer.

With frank and I, I saw a difference when I used his advice, especially when she started going full blown teenage angst and talking back when I would ask her stop. In the beginning whenever I would handle her I would always wear this one thick hoodie even in 50 degree celsius weather, which would help my fears. Now she's gotten much better at controling her bite, and we can play wrestle (with the hoodie on, because I never let her wrestle me bare armed) and she knows when to stop. Personally, I reccomend the gloves because I'm pretty sure hoodie sleeves are her trigger now, but we're also working on that.

Of course we still have a lot to work on (the trainer said the reason why she would bite me but not anyone else of my family was because she saw me as a littermate), and she has so many issues I wouldn't even know where to begin (she vacuums everything in sight, has, sadly, intense seperation anxiety, and don't even get me started on the potty training). I hope you and your puppy can get through this rough time, and just know that there is an end in sight!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts