Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bitch in season....?

Hi,

Apologies in advance for any incorrect terms that are used but Lola has recently had her first season. I think it has lasted about 5 weeks so far but I have read that that's nothing to worry about because it can often last 6 weeks. My question is that her teats (nipples) are still quite raised. Before she came in to season they were just little dots but now they are more like little ducts. Is this right? Will they go back to how they were before? I am sorry for the ignorance on this matter but we have always had boy dogs before.
Thanks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Bitch in season....?

Hi, was just thinking, last year when meg came into season, she was about 11 months old. we didnt think it was ever going to happen!. anyway, after she finished it, it wasn't too long before we were going off on our annual holiday. we dropped her off with the lady that has her and left her for 2.5 weeks. when we came home and got her all bathed and brushed up, we noticed that her nipples were really big. i kept thinking, blimey, she looks like she's pregnant. my husband said, oh its probably because she's maturing now. anyway they got bigger and bigger and then she started acting strange. like not eating ( for a beagle......... impossible), not wanting to be near us so much, and then running round the house crying and hiding. then it was son to thsi awful orange fluffy thing, she started crying and carrying around. anyway went to the vet's about her and she was in the advanced stages of a phantom pregnancy. she even had milk coming. so basically we had to give her some hormones and as soon as she kind of got over it, we had her spade. we had planned to spay her anyway but this made us act quicker. the vet said, usually once you have a phantom, she would probably get them after every season. it was about 10 weeks from the start of her season that this all occured, so about the time she may have given birth had she been pregnant. so sad though, to see her looking for her puppies that she didnt have. the crying was awfull, we felt as if our hearts would break just watching her. so keep an eye on her, if there are other changes, then this might be what is happening to her as it is very common.
Toni

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I can't give any advice since I had Chloe spayed when she was 6 months old. I don't want to go through the breeding process and in order to avoid the mess and health risks - I just got her done.

If you are not planning on breeding her - get her spayed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Toni,

Thanks for that info, it's really helpful.

My hubby did think that this is what maybe could be happening so we will check her out with the vet I think. There haven't been any other changes, she is still eating ok and still as affectionate etc. The only noticable difference is that her nipples have stayed larger. They don't look to me like nipples on a pregnant or nursing dog but I am no expert. Have Megs nipples gone completely back to normal now? Lolas were just tiny little spots prior to her season but now just seemed more formed if that makes sense.

Thanks again Toni xx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyI can't give any advice since I had Chloe spayed when she was 6 months old. I don't want to go through the breeding process and in order to avoid the mess and health risks - I just got her done.

If you are not planning on breeding her - get her spayed.
Hiya,
We are definitely going to get her spayed as we have no intentions to breed her, we really wouldn't know what we were doing at all. I have checked with the vet and she can be spayed 3mths after her first season so we are looking at late May, early June.
Thanks xx

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Well, I'm sure you are taking good care of her and the vet will know what is wrong - if anything IS wrong at all.

Keep us posted if there is anything new.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Typical estrus (heat cycle) is roughly 3 weeks. One week going in - one week in and one week going out. They can conceive at any time during the cycle, but the most "fertile" is the middle week. Girls do mature a little - and their nipples do get a little more pronounced - but I've never had one in season for 5 weeks - EXCEPT Lottie who had a uterine infection that started during her heat cycle. When it went longer than I expected I took her to the vet and she was treated with antibiotics and it cleared up quickly. She was a rescue who came to me with a lot of health problems. I would probably check with my vet about the duration of this heat cycle, but then I'm an old fuss budget! I don't run to the vet for every little problem, but after a while you begin to learn what is a "little" problem and what is more serious. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Good luck with your baby!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I've never had a female go into heat, but Li'l Girl seemed to be coming out of one when we adopted her. I'm also pretty sure that she'd had a litter at one point. Her nipples are larger than our whippet's, who never had puppies, but they're not noticeably large at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Beaglesmon and Sandyj.

Beaglesmom - I was probably wrong stating that she has been in season for 5-6weeks, I have no real way of knowing that. It has been a long time since she stopped bleeding and all her other "bits" have gone back to normal size so I think from what I have read that would indicate that she is no longer in season. The only noticable difference is the fact that her nipples seem larger than before. They aren't huge by no means but definitely larger than before (I wish there was a way that I could show you what I mean, lol)and I just wondered if they do increase a little when in season and then stay like that.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
139 Posts

Hi Lola's mum, its difficult to tell if her nipples are normal or not. i suppose it's like us women, we are all different. !! i think just keep an eye on her over the next few days. by the way, the season usually last around 3 weeks from start to finish, but again we r all different.just checked the size of meggies nipples, they are not dots, but not massive, but you can grab hold of them (if you know what i mean ) !! gosh how confusing. well, just look out for other signs and see what happens.
x

·
Registered
139 Posts

Lola's mum, hubby just said to check the nipples to see if they feel hot ?? our vet said to watch for this, as this could indicate a problem. there is an illness/condition that can occur if the problem is a phantom, and goes undetecded. please go check it out and let me know.... thanks . i will be checking the site now to see if she's ok..
x

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Oh, okay. If she'd been bleeding for 5-6 weeks that would be a definite indication that something is wrong! Here's some information about the heat cycle. The girls nipples do get a little larger, but nothing like they are during pregancy or nursing. I don't have any pictures in photobucket of JoJo or Lottie during pregnancy or when they're nursing - now THERE you can see a MAJOR difference.

Estrus In Dogs
(Heat Cycles)

----------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL INFORMATION

Estrus ("heat") is the mating period of female animals. When estrus occurs, animals are said to be "in heat" or "in season". Dogs generally have their first estrous cycle at 6-12 months of age. Some females of the large breeds, however, may not have their first estrus until they are 12-24 month of age.

The complete cycle takes about 6 months, resulting in 2 estrous periods each year. Individual variation occurs, but a given female's pattern tends to be repeated regularly.

The estrus cycle can be divided into 4 stages.

1) Proestrus - This stage begins with the appearance of vaginal bleeding. It normally lasts from 4 to 9 days. Male dogs become interested in the female; however, she will not yet mate with them.

2) Estrus - This is the stage in which the female will accept the male and conception can occur. The vaginal discharge is more yellowish than bloody. Ordinarily, the stage lasts for 4 to 13 days. Your female will stand still and hold her tail to the side when you touch her back or a male dog tries to mount.

3 & 4) Metestrus and Anestrus - These 2 stages are periods of ovarian activity, but with no significant outward signs. False pregnancies frequently occur during metestrus.

SOME IMPORTANT POINTS

You should consider your pet to be "in season" for 21 days: 7 days coming into heat, 7 days in heat, 7 days going out. Though conception is most likely during the middle 7 days
Mother Nature doesn't always follow the rules. Confine your pet for the entire 3 weeks.
Remember that the above information is general. Not all females follow these patterns. Consult with the doctor if your pet does not seem typical. Sometimes, cycling problems can be an early warning of more serious problems, and the sooner they are dealt with, the better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Erleweine DVM, Kuhns DVM MS Instructions for Veterinary Clients.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks again Meg's Mum and Beaglesmom, that advice is really helpful!

I think that you have hit the nail on the head Toni in the sense that before they were dots and now you can grab them a little. They aren't warm at all.

I think that I will keep my eye on her for the next couple of days and see how she goes. If I am still worried then I will pop her to the vets.

Thanks again xx

·
Registered
308 Posts

My Lilie went into heat the first day she turned 6 months old. Her *boobies* got huge! Due to lack of funds, 2 months later Chloe went into heat also but the Humane Society agreed to go ahead and spay her. About 2 weeks before we took the Girls to be spayed, the neighbor dog had puppies and both the girls were around the puppies. When we took them to get fixed and got them back, Lillie was *marked* as being in heat too. I KNEW she had been in heat 2 months prior so the heat she was in was not a true heat. However when she got got home, she developed a false pregnancy with milk and all. Her boobies got HUGE! It took about 3 months for them to be back to normal.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Okay, hopefully this will help you.

This is when she is not pregnant!

This is when she IS pregnant!

So I can't say for all the other bitches out there, but Maya's teats definitely became more pronounced after her first heat cycle.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts

If you think she may be pregnant you need to take her to the vet, plain and simple. Also, if you are not planning on breeding her and it doesn't sound like that you're ready for pups, consider having her spayed before her next heat cycle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts