Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Just thought we'd introduce ourselves. My name is Bill and we just purchased Calvin, a 20 month old finished CH 13inch beagle for my daughter to show in junior handling. With training and education, she and Calvin will do great.

I on the other hand am responsible for the daily care and house manners of Calvin the latter of which he has none. I have always owned working breeds. I'm used to large breeds with a high working drive. So, I'll need all your help adjusting to life with a nutty little beagle. I look forward to getting to know you all.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to Beagle World!!

Let my Maggie and Calvin be the first to welcome you to the boards!! Maggie is a 13in beagle, Calvin is a shephard-mix.
(I'm not sure, but until now, I hadn't heard of any other "Cals" on the board :biglaugh: ....they can't help it :biglaugh: )

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Bill and happy you've joined our group :wave:

Yes, Beagles are a whole different experience, but well worth the extra effort to train. They're happy, fun-loving hounds with loads of personality :bounce:

I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your daughter's showing and how Calvin will do in the competitions.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

A show beagle and family pet, there are going to be some stories there for sure. We have a few memebers here with ring experience, most of us though can help you through the "beagles as family" side of things.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Calvin and me:
With training and education, she and Calvin will do great.
Welcome to BW! You're right ... with Calvin training your daughter, they will do great!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Seriously, as Murphy's Dad said, we do have other members who show their beagles and am sure they will be along to welcome you. Post your questions in the "discussion" section and you'll get lots of help -- this is a wonderful group of folks and we are all obsessed with our beagles, whether they be show or family.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: Your daughter and Calvin should have great fun together. We'll all be cheering them on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Calvin!

I look forward to following Calvin and your daughters' show experiences.

My Henry is a "show" dog. He shows me his empty food dish, which treat he prefers and which part of the bed he wants to sleep in at night. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Bill :wave: A big welcome arrroooo to Calvin. Looking forward to hearing of Calvin and your daughters show successes but really looking forward. Also looking forward to hearing or your and Calvins efforts at trainin g each other house manners /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My friends have Border Collies and let me tell ya, training a beagle is nothing like training a herd dog. Beagles were bred for independant thinking, most working dogs bred to respond to their masters commands. If you realize that the first thought that enters a beagles mind when he hears a command is "Why should I" instead of "What does my master want" then training will be much easier. Treats, praise and attention all work very well! My beagle was an apparetnly abused rescue with no indoor social grances. A little time, coming to understand the beagle breed and 8 weeks of obedience Classes later I had a very well behaved "Gentledog" for the last 8 and years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, we learned real quick he was not interested in OB. The good thing is that he is interested in hanging out with us, so he comes when called. That's all I really wanted as far as his OB goes. My wife an I talked the other night about how to handle him differently than a working dog, and since things have gone better. We're excepting the fact that he'll just be a happy little beagle. House manners though, still working.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by bob:
... Treats, praise and attention all work very well ...
because Beagles are also more pack oriented than working dogs, the more they bond with their pack. Calvin's pack is now your daughter, you and your wife. Calvin will want to please the pack and that is why treats and praise work so well. These merry little hounds may have been bred to make decisions independant of their masters but not independant of their pack. When a brace of beagles is on the trail of a rascally hare their success is measured by how well they work as a pack.

Calvin may never be in pursuit two miles from his humans (daughter or you( but train him as part of the pack and beagles can really become well trained canine citizens. They are several beagles who own humans on this board and those beagle do far more than the sit, heal, stay and come my beagle does, As an example, Bonnie and Willow are star agility dogs.

Training a beagle is different than training a herd dog or a retriever but can be just as successful and rewarding. The only difference is a beagle will also try to train his pack as well as learn from his pack /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif So, Bill, you, your daughter and wife, let the training games begin. Your family and Calvin will bond so tight that the end result will be a beautiful relationship.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts