Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have taken up biking with the dogs and they love it!! We went out last night for the first time having them both hooked up together (I had taken them out separately about a week ago to see how they would do since Spencer usually lunges at bikes), I thought for sure they would have me in a ditch somewhere but they did great. Tonight, I brought my GPS with me to see how far we actually went. I took them for a 5km run in just under 34 minutes and that counted the time for 5 stops for them. Spencer thinks that he should just pull me along the whole time, at parts of it, I don't even have to petal, actually I have to use my break to slow him down (he goes a little too fast for Sydney). Being just on his collar I tried not to let him too much. I am really thinking of getting him a pulling harness and just letting him go at it. It is definitely a great workout for them, I am thinking about starting to go out before work with them, if we could do 5km in 30 minutes, I would only have to be out there by about 5:00am. Plus, at that time there would be less worry about cars. I wish I could video tape them doing it, they do so awesome and look so cute.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds perfect.... I was thinking of rollerblading with Chloe pulling me. One problem though, I don't know how to ride them. I'll have to check around for that and start doing it instead of thinking about it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

That's great. Maybe hubby can videotape you guys?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've also thought of doing the same, but am frightened of running over Bo! There is a man in the neighborhood who does it with two large dogs, at the same time. Maybe I should chase him down next time and ask for advice. He's got some looks, so it wouldn't hurt to do that!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Be careful roller blading! I used to do that with my dogs, until one day one of my dogs saw something compelling and made a hard left turn. I had little control since I was not really a good roller blader, so my feet went out from under me and I landed HARD on my back. My glasses went flying and the dogs running, since I let go of the leashes as I fell. I was sore for a week, and had some asphalt burns too. OWIE!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owie is right, that sounds painful. I have the leash tied just under my seat and it is just long enough for Spencer to run next to the front tire, Sydney stays back a little bit behind him (I have them on a splitter). At one point tonight, Spencer saw another dog and though he was pretty interesting. He wasn't paying attention and got the front tire in the snout, not hard at all but it reminded him to pay attention to where he is going. So far, a firm "Leave It" has kept their attention on the bike and not what is going on around us.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Oh I would love to do that with my two. I'm such a klutz though!!

When my labarador retriever Zeke was still alive, I took him for runs on the bike....but we had one nasty spill after colliding with each other. Thankfully it was only a block from home, so I only dripped blood (Mine of course!) for a short way.

Thanks for the memory....I'd almost forgotten about that incident. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif I wish you luck with your outings, and I'm sure your pups are well exercised. I know Zeke loved it when we biked together.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Boy Spencer's mum you guys are going to be in such good shape, first the treadmill now biking, that's great.
PS. I think harnesses would be also a great idea.
ENJOY /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been thinking about relearning how to ride a bike just so I could do this with Bridey.

Has anyone tried one of those bike attachments to clip a dog to while you're biking together?

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have an attachment called a "Springer" to bike with our dogs. It attaches to the middle of the bike, and is shaped sort of like a U with a big spring forming the side of the U away from the bike. This keeps your dog close to your bike, but not too close, in a location that it is easy to keep tabs on how they are doing. We've also used a different kind that attaches more to the back wheel assembly, but Lucy and Flora don't like that one.

The nice thing about the springer is that if the dog lunges sideways, the spring takes the shock, and it doesn't pull the bike quite so suddenly. We typically do a 5 mi loop (or we did before kids), and we would not have to pedal for the first half mile. For a while, we could get hill assist by yelling "Squirrel!" but Lucy and Flora don't believe us anymore. Flora has also learned to "draft" in her harness, letting us pull her along somewhat.

Googling "springer dog jogger" gives several web sites that sell it, and the official web site is http://www.springerusa.com. I love ours, and recommend it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ya i totally want to rollerblade with my pup!
what great exercise!!!
but i guess its a good idea to wait until they're pretty much fully trained so they don't run infront of you :S
that could lead to some nice injuries!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts