Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got yesterday a 3 month old puppy, since then she is pooing in the whole house and peeing. we cant go for 10 minutes without her doing something wrong. please give me some suggestions.
thank you very much!

·
Registered
187 Posts
She's probably nervous about being in a new home.
You could use the deoderizing spray they sell in pet shops to cover up the smell so she wouldn't know that she went there before.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Argh!...That is very bad timing on your part! A Beagle is very "high-maintenance" as a newly arrived puppy!!! They need the greatest amount of time you have to offer like a weekend to "get aquainted"! Your only option with this short time would seem to be the crate method! Our success with the breed is no doubt thanks to the fact that we adopted them on a friday & had a full weekend to train them! Even Nibbler...who was the "wildest" beagle that we have adopted got his "attitude ajustment" from Goober after he tried to kill Rufus upon their first meeting! Now Nibbler is very protective of Rufus & will even prevent ol Goober from playing with Rufus!!! But Homer -the -Huge will try to kill Nibbler? If given a chance! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
She is just a baby and in a new strange place. It will take her a while to learn the expectations. Crate training was wonderful for us. You can find lots of information on the internet to help you get started.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi Doron,

You should definitely crate train her. You can read about the method and how to implement it here:
http://www.siriusweb.com/AAD/crate.html

Give her a few days to get used to being with you. She just got separated from her mom and siblings, it's rather traumatic for her.

If you need more information and advice, just "call" us. You can also browse through older posts here, there are many stories that will help you... :thumbup:

BTW - what's her name?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another question:
i read about the crating. and im going to do it on her third night in our house, to put her next to my bed? and i live now in a building, every time she whines in the night i need to take her outside, and then she wont use the house as her toilet? how long does it take? and after she is trained already do i need to keep locking her in the crate?

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a long process, i am in 3 months right now and she has her accidents, but she understands that house is not to be pottied in. She starting to go to the door and letting me know when she needs to go. but sometime i don't see the signs and she goes in the florr, i just clean it up with cleaner so she don't smell it again, and watch for the next time.

Crate training is a good thing here, as she can stay for 4 hrs, and not soil the crate. As soon as i get home i let her out side to go potty.

As for how long to keep crating her, i am leaning toward 6-9 months, it depends on the personality of the dog. some are destructive if they are allowed to be, and other are fine just hanging around the house.

It all depends on the dog, some take longer then others.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The name of the game you will be playing is patience... Remember they are babies. So like us human babies its takes a while to potty train.

As for the crate, my two are 18 months and love there crate. While the family is away they go in there. All I have to do is mention their cage and they run and wait for me to close it. (they alway get a treat and lots of praise) Then when we get home the are stretching and ready to go out.

Good luck!!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Doron, the crate will become Pita's sanctuary, she will love it once she gets used to it. It's important to feed her in the crate, especially at the beginning, just spread the food in there (dry food), treat her when she goes in there, praise her a lot. When she is older and can hold it for longer periods of time, you can let hem roam the house for longer hours.
Don't forget, it takes time, they are babies, with tiny bladders.
It doesn't matter if you live in a building or a house, for the first few months, where most of the time she is crated (unless playing with you, under your supervision) she will consider the crate as her domain. As she grows and can hold it longer, you can expand her domain and she will learn that where we "live" we don't go potty.
And unfortunately yes, if it's a building for now, than you need to take her out during the night as well.

Chloe didn't take long to sleep through the night with no accidents... I'm sure Pita will be fine :thumbup:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I crate them any time no one will be home. The crate becomes there "cave" and most of them grow to love it. I always thought it was cruel and when we got our older dog and started to crate him, we would find him sleeping in there even when we were home.

And for your second question, you might not get alot of sleep for the next week or two, but everyone (including yourself) will get on a schedule and sleep fine...
:wave:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's just like parenthood.... only for a shorter period of time with furbabies. I think that if you keep on schedule, you will be able to go back to a full night sleep (6-7 hours) in about 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so what did you talk about that takes a couple of months? and what does she do after two weeks? she just doesnt go during the night?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
After a while they get used to the schedule, which means during the night, they sleep and can hold it until the morning. After 2-3 months she will be able to hold it for 5 and even 6 hours during the day, so she can be left out of the crate when you are home, and just keep an eye on her for signs (when she needs to go) and take her outside (lots of praises, of course).
Keep using this system, she will like it, and will probably go in the crate herself when she sees you are about to leave the house.
Many use the crate all the time, even when the dog is fully housetrained. It's easier and it's the dogs own little "home".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i still didnt understand: during the day when i keave the house do i lock the crate? if yes she will just pot in the crate and if no how does she go out?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
During the day, when you leave home - yes.
Try to check in on her every 4 hours, and let her out for potty, or have someone else do that. She will probably have a few accidents at first, but will do her best to avoid it. They tend to not go potty where they play and sleep.

·
Registered
147 Posts
crate training was the best thing we could have done.homer whined the first 3 nights until i realized he was whining for his pillow.he would lay on a pillow by my desk at when it was time for bed he would go in the crate but whine right away-took 3 sleepless nights to realize the old comforter was not enough-he wanted the pillow too :doh: -after that he was fine.he was just the perfect dog for crate training.he is almost 6 months old now and he can stay in there and not whine or potty for up to 10 hours(he has only done that on those few occasions i have slept that long)he has never pottied in there and will stay quiet in there during the night for about 8 hours.it is his safe place and he usually naps in there everyday.i think it helped that we never used it as a punishment either.i didn't want him to think of it as a bad thing.we used a divider in there so he couldn't potty and then go to the other end-he has just enough room to stand up and move around.we took the divider out and he could still potty at one end if he wanted to but has learned not to do that in there

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so correct me if im wrong.
during the night i lock hern the crate, every time she starts to whine i need to take her out unyill she potties(what about if she wont potty?) and during the day even if im at home to lock her until she whines and to take her out?

what kind of crate do you use?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts