Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just adopted a four month old beagle named Big Ben. He crate trained and bathroom trained very easy. He is full of energy and has already learned a few tricks. Our only problem so far is he loves to nip when playing. So far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well congratulations!

He is very, very cute

Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Big Ben is just too cute! It must be hard saying no to that face! Hubby and I are new as well with an almost 4 month old beagle mix who is also nipping like crazy. We have tried a few things that didn't work for us: yelping when bit (took her 1 week to decide we must be playing with her) and walking away every time she bit (worked for 2 weeks, then she just started to occupy herself and the effect was lost on her). What we are currently doing is to first make a closed fist and say No Bite when she tries to bite our hands. If she tries again, we wrap a hand around her muzzle and say No Bite. Seems to be working, she's been progressively stopping at the first closed hand cue. Crossing my fingers that this method works, please let me know if you find a different technique!

·
Registered
96 Posts
For nipping I was told to hold onto the lower jaw until they stopped fighting. I don't know how well it works as we didn't try it on Corey until he was full grown and it was for me to do it correctly. His number of times of nipping in play has been drastically lowered but for all I know he's just growing out of it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So cute! Do you think he's full beagle or a mix? What a gorgeous pup!! I wish you all the best and welcome to BW!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't believe in holding the jaws of a puppy to get them to stop biting, however, I have found that making a high pitched yelp, and pulling my hands away and ignoring them has helped. Ignoring them when they perform bad behavior = no fun for them. He is BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Ben is a beagle/boston terrier mix, we went looking for kittens at a local animal hospital and they told us they had one dog for adoption that his owner had just dropped him off last night. Well my wife fell in love with him and we took him home that day. He has been real fun

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: sheiserWelcome and congrats! Big Ben is just too cute! It must be hard saying no to that face! Hubby and I are new as well with an almost 4 month old beagle mix who is also nipping like crazy. We have tried a few things that didn't work for us: yelping when bit (took her 1 week to decide we must be playing with her) and walking away every time she bit (worked for 2 weeks, then she just started to occupy herself and the effect was lost on her). What we are currently doing is to first make a closed fist and say No Bite when she tries to bite our hands. If she tries again, we wrap a hand around her muzzle and say No Bite. Seems to be working, she's been progressively stopping at the first closed hand cue. Crossing my fingers that this method works, please let me know if you find a different technique!
That method worked well for us with both of our beagles. The ignoring only gave them the opportunity to pee when we weren't looking, as they didn't care if we stopped paying attention to them - they just played with each other. The yelping didn't do anything for me, either. I guess it just depends on the dog. *shrug*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts