Our Beagle World Forums banner

Big beagle boy

Tags
bigbeagle
3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bshimmy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an 17 week old beagle (Ziggy) he was a tiny little 6lb boy when we took him home at 9 weeks and he has grown into a 26lb lump 🙈 He is well proportioned.

Vet has checked him over and said he is healthy with no issues.

Does anyone else have a similar bigger beagle or does anyone think he is a cross?

thank you 😊

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Dog Dog breed Comfort Fawn Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Flooring

See less See more
#2 ·
Beagles come in 2 sizes 13” and 15” and like 8 colors and they say a true full blooded beagle has one thing that separates them from being a mutt the white tipped tail, so if you have AKC papers and that white tipped tail and he’s within those sizes I am sure you have a beagle, if not and you paid a good penny I would say you either didn’t check out the breeders background on the AKC website and if you did take the pup back if you want and get either your money or a new pup, because a real breeder grantees their dogs bloodlines that why you signed a contract with them, to breed, pet or show your pup, before you got your AKC papers. At least that’s how it should work or did work when I got Dodger I had to jump hoops and I am still under contract with them, but I feel it should be that way to preserve the breed. So did you do any of this to get your 9 week old beagle? If you did you shouldn’t have a question as to weather he’ pure AKC😁

#7 ·
Hello,

I have an 17 week old beagle (Ziggy) he was a tiny little 6lb boy when we took him home at 9 weeks and he has grown into a 26lb lump 🙈 He is well proportioned.

Vet has checked him over and said he is healthy with no issues.

Does anyone else have a similar bigger beagle or does anyone think he is a cross?

thank you 😊

View attachment 42219 View attachment 42220 View attachment 42222
Hello! Your Ziggy is so handsome! I am between beagles right now so love seeing new ones! My beagle was a female and her adult height was 14 inches and her adult weight was 26 lbs. I looked up a growth chart, at 9 weeks your boy was a bit bigger than and in the photo (although hard to tell with him sitting) he looks a bit big for 17 weeks to me (but I am no expert, lol). However, in UK, the beagle standard is a bit larger than here in the US, between 13 and 16 inches tall fully grown (about 8 months). Your UK standard for a beagle can be found here Beagle | Breed Standards | The Kennel Club. The standard is what breeders strive for in conformation, but just like humans, we get genes from our parents/grandparents etc, so depends on them too. He could be pure beagle and just a big boy from bigger parents. If you are interested, there are DNA tests that cost anywhere from £40 and £200 (I just googled it); just getting the breed info costs less than the genetic heath markers, that's why the range.

Harriers look very much like beagles but get about 20-23 inches tall and the foxhound even taller and heavier. There's still much controversy surrounding origins of breeds. Harriers were just recognized by the Kennel Club as a formal breed in 2019 in the UK. I think you won't really know until your Ziggy reaches his adult size unless you want to do the DNA. If you do, let us know, I'm so intrigued now! The important part is that you love him and he looks like the sweetest boy (but all beagles have their mischievous side, mine could get her teeth around teeny sewing threads and unstuff a new toy within 5 minutes).

Sorry this was so long, just love talking about them! Have fun with your boy!

#8 ·
Thank you 😊

Zig is our first dog and he’s just the absolute sweetest but loves to steal and hide socks and shoes. I think some of the pics make him look absolutely huge but from a side on angle he does look longer than anything else.

Part of me wants to do the dna check but I would like to see just how big he gets first. He had a pretty rough time of it when we first got him as he was riddled with fleas and worms and just such a tiny little thing 😞 complete opposite of what he is now!

Everyones who’s met him has guessed beagle right away but I do think there’s maybe been a wee mix in there somewhere x

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass
Dog White Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.