Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

Bianca just got spayed yesterday and had a hernia repair. The vet sent us home with some Rimadyl (anti-inflammatory) and Tramadol (for pain) and also some instructions to keep her quiet and inactive (tough for an 18 week puppy).

Bianca is not doing too well. Not sure if this is normal or not but at times she really lets us know she's in pain by a VERY loud shriek accompanied with whining. We're keeping her pretty immobile (no running, etc.) and giving her meds as the vet described. Also her on one side of her incision there seems to be some bruising (blood under the skin) that's visible.

Should we be worried abotu how she's doing after the surgery? The painful sounding yelps have gotten pretty loud. She's eating and drinking just fine.

Let me know what you guys think...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Aww poor Bianca! How is she feeling today?

I would most definately call the vet just to get some reassurance, advice about the pain and if the area around the incision gets redder or looks angry (as our vet tech says), let them know.
It can't hurt to call and make sure.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's getting a little better. The vet is open today so I'll give them a call when they open. The bruising is still evident on the side of the incision but it might appear to be fading.

She's still yelping quite a bit, what's hard is we need to lift her up to take her outside as we have a couple of steps and we don't want her to take the steps by herself. Yet she yelps when we pick her up

Can't wait for her to heal up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took her into the vet today. They said the incision looks wonderful! They also said that we shouldn't worry about the bruising, that a warm wet rag should help soothe her.

She also suggested that the constant yelping might be her being a little drama queen

All in all, she's doing quite a bit better then a couple of days ago. The bruising this afternoon also appears to be going away, and I picked her up a couple times to go potty and she didn't react. So I guess time is the only remedy for her!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Glad to hear all is ok with Bianca!

They do tend to be a bit dramatic at times, our Roscoe is quite the little actor!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just wanted to share if this helps.Cassidy was spayed and had a hernia repair. It was rough and she was a DRAMA queen, screaming and whining over nothing. In time, it will be okay. Just keep an eye on the hernia spot. Cassidy did later on develope a small infection where the hernia was and had to have the antibiotics extended. But, other then that, no worries my friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but isn't 18 weeks a little early to be spayed?? Wiley just passed the 18 week mark and we've been told at least 5 1/2 to 6 mos.

Anyone??

·
Registered
959 Posts
CALL THE VET. Why in large letters, because it will make you feel better to know everything is okay, and it will make Bianca feel better if there is something wrong. Call the vet, they became vets for the purpose of helping animals, but they can't help if they don't know about it. Most vets would rather know earlier than later. If it's hard to get in touch with them on a weekend, try contacting the ER vets....we had to do that with Casie when he had eaten something he shouldn't have...and it worked out okay in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts