Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie just is NOT getting the house/potty training deal. She turned 5 months last week, and she's still going pee and poop in the house whenever she darn well feels like it.

We're still taking her outside to go potty every hour or so, and she pretty much goes on command most of the time. The problem is, when she's in the house, if she decides it's time to go, she still will not go to the door and let us know...she just stops what she's doing and goes on the floor or the carpet. Already today, she's peed twice and pooped once inside.

I've read just about everything there is on house training...she's rewarded and praised EVERY TIME she goes outside, and she's scolded and placed outside everytime she goes in the house. The thing is, she KNOWS it's wrong, because everytime she see's that I've seen her potty in the house, she runs under the bed and hides.

On the up side, she's good through the night, in that she sleeps straight through and doesn't potty until she gets up in the morning. It's the daytime and evening hours that are driving me absolutely crazy!

I know that eventually she will get it, but today I'm just extremely frustrated. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue myself hang in there. I can honestly say that it becoming less and less frequent but its still annoying nonetheless. What gets me is all other training came easy and it seems like she understands but her way is much more simple for her. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joshua. I am trying to hang in there, but I honestly can't say that it's becoming less and less frequent with Maggie. She's been checked for UTI and that was negative, as I expected. I think it's just like what you said...it's much more simple for her to just stop what she's doing and pee on the spot, instead of going to the door and barking or scratching to be let out. Lazy little princess!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can sympathize. Jersey was terrible at housebreaking, but once it clicked, she's been almost perfect. Are you using a good enzyme cleaner on her accident spots? Like Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle. They eliminate the odors and have enzymes in them to break down the spot so the dog can't smell it there anymore. If Maggie can smell the old spot, she'll be more likely to go there again. Otherwise, just keep up what you're doing. Eventually it will sink in. One day at about 6 months, Jersey went to the door and tapped. I asked her if she had to go potty and she got all excited. After that we only had a handful of accidents. Now it's been ages since she's done anything inside.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe you should crate her more during the day. I assume that you scold her when catching her in the act, and then take her right outside.
Don't know what to tell you.... just hang in there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ahhh... I really hope she starts to improve. Good luck with Maggie. Banjo is being a royal pain to potty train also, but he's much younger. Hopefully he'll get over it soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I am dealing with the same issues and I have a newly adopted 2 year old. One thing that really helps is keeping her tethered by our side, or gated in the room we are in. Its a bit of a pain but that way she isn't wandering off and peeing.

Try to write down the times that she does pee or make a mental note. And are the inside pees from anxiety??? I find that Molly pees the most inside if I leave the room and she can't get to me or when I go to work.

I always say that beagles take lots of patience when they are being trained!! My first beagle, who I had from a puppy, probably took a good 6 - 8 months before he really got it.

We also have greyhounds and they are conditioned to do pretty much everything on schedule, so its hard to get used to Molly's schedule.

Be sure to clean the pee area really well with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh yeah! I can so relate. When I got my first beagle 8 years ago, I actually thought beagles were DOGS and could be housetrained like a DOG. Silly me! Princess and I had MANY serious discussions about the fact that she did NOT have a 3 story, 6000 square foot indoor potty! She eventually did get the idea - but not before giving me a LOT of extra grey hairs. Romeo was much easier (he was the 2nd) - but perhaps I just was becoming familiar with the breed. It's STILL difficult - Tanna is a royal pia - he was a field dog when I got him - and had never been housetrained - he's becoming more integrated with the pack since Romeo left, but he still goes around marking EVERYTHING he can reach (and some things he can't reach).
Hang in there - it'll get better - someday!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I remember a story about a little kid who kept wetting his pants while he was outside playing. He would come inside and his mom would ask him why he didn't come in to go potty and he said he was just to busy.

Maybe she just doesn't realize it until it is too late. Especially if she knows it's wrong and goes and hide. She will get it eventually though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Punishing her or scolding her when you see her toilet does not tell her toileting inside is wrong - it teaches her that toileting in front of you is going to get her in trouble.

This is when owners start saying things like she's so sneaky or she knows she is doing something wrong - or like you said, she runs and hides when you catch her.

Keep on it and good luck - remember to keep in mind when she last drank/ate because this will give you a good idea of *when* she will need to toilet.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted By: SmeaglePunishing her or scolding her when you see her toilet does not tell her toileting inside is wrong - it teaches her that toileting in front of you is going to get her in trouble.

This is when owners start saying things like she's so sneaky or she knows she is doing something wrong - or like you said, she runs and hides when you catch her.
I don't understand. If I don't punish or scold her when I see her going potty in the house, how is she going to learn that it's NOT ok to potty in the house? I'm confused...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Using positive training to teach her when she does the right thing and being vigilant to read the signs of when she is about to go (and rushing her outside/ to the 'right spot') is a lot more affective than punishing her. If you catch her toileting inside, pick her up and put her out side or where you want her to toilet straight away. Don't scold her, but give LOTS of praise when you put her where she is supposed to be.

Each time you catch her toileting inside and you smack her/scold her she is just going to think she will get in trouble each time she toilets in front of you. This makes it a lot harder when you put her outside to toilet and wait for her to go - she won't want to go to the toilet in front of you, or when you are there. Often people notice that the dog will pee/poo inside when I'm not watching but won't go when I put her outside!! This is because you have inadvertantly trained her NOT to toilet in front of you. Am I making sense?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh Gale, I remember those days so well!! I thought Shiloh was never gonna get housebroken!! She got better after I broke down and bought a crate and started crate training. But, and I don't want to discourage you more than you already are, even then she was probably 6-9 months old before she really got it. And I'm sure Maggie will too. One day--hopefully soon--that lightbulb will just click on. Just keep doing what you're doing. Consistency really is important. Good luck and try to hang in there a little longer.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted By: SmeagleEach time you catch her toileting inside and you smack her/scold her she is just going to think she will get in trouble each time she toilets in front of you. This makes it a lot harder when you put her outside to toilet and wait for her to go - she won't want to go to the toilet in front of you, or when you are there. Often people notice that the dog will pee/poo inside when I'm not watching but won't go when I put her outside!! This is because you have inadvertantly trained her NOT to toilet in front of you. Am I making sense?
Yes, you're making perfect sense! My only problem is that Maggie doesn't have a problem going outside in front of me. In fact, she goes on command just about every time I take her out and tell her to go potty. But turn my back on her just one second in the house, and she's off in another room going potty. That, or she'll just stop what she's doing and potty right in front of me. I don't THINK my scolding her (a sharp NO) for going potty in the house and then placing her outside has made her afraid, but I'm open to all ideas and will definitely try the more positive approach. I have a feeling though that little Maggie is just one of the more stubborn beagles. Potty training my previous beagle Molly was a cake walk compared to this one!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've always had trouble with the concept of teaching young puppies to both become house-trained (not pottying at all in the house) AND trained to give a cue when they have to potty. It just seems confusing to me. None of my dogs have ever been expected to go to the door or 'tell' me that they have to go until they have been fully housetrained. Does that make sense? I've always tried to anticipate their needs and take them out super frequently, with crates and umbilical leashes used when they're not outside. Henry is almost 2 and he rarely gives me a cue that he has to go. I don't ever give him a chance. I take him out every 2-3 hours when I'm home, regardless of whether he has to go or not. It was only after he made the connection that we go out a certain door constantly to go potty that he started signalling there. But I don't require that he do it. In exchange for him keeping my house spotless, I take him out to 'stretch his legs' all the time. That's the only thing I'm accustomed to. I hope all this makes sense...lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts