Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this should be in the health section or not, but I am so frustrated with Daisy right now. She has peed in the bed 2 nights in a row. She will be fine for days on end and then all of a sudden she does this for a few days. I know she can hold it because when she does well, she makes it from 10:30PM to 6:00AM with no problems. I guess maybe it's just her age? She'll be 5 months tomorrow. When she does it, it's like she doesn't wake up almost like a kid who wets the bed. Last night she only woke up because I jumped up because I felt pee all over me. I take her out and she finished up peeing. I really, really don't want to crate her at night since she is in there while we work but I'm afraid I will have to for a while. I just can't handle being woke up in the middle of the night to pee all over the bed. By the time I've cleaned up the bed, changed the sheets, put the dirty sheets in the washing machine I've lost a lot of sleep and then I get up at 5:30 or 6:00AM for work.

She is still making me take her out every hour pretty much on the hour while she's awake, so I don't know.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
There was only one time Duke peed in the bed, so I'm of no use on this topic. That's one of the areas we lucked out in, he sleeps all night through the night and has since the first night we brought him home.

But every hour on the hour does seen excessive (though she is still very young, so maybe not). Does she always potty when she goes out, or is she like Duke and goes to the door and acts like she has to potty, but really just wants out back to play?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby would pee on the bed when he was mad about something. Do you think she is getting mad at you. Like wanting to play while you want to sleep?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She doesn't have a UTI. I had the vet check her. They just attributed it to her age, or they have so far at least.

She seems to still be asleep, so it is very possible that she is dreaming. She has only peed in the bed one time where it seemed to be on purpose, and that was just after my husband returned from being away and he took "her" side of the bed.

It's like she starts to go, and when I jump up she stops and finishes when I get her outside so I don't know what's going on.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is she actually going pee when she goes out every hour? Did your vet do a urinalysis?

She is still very young. Could you get up in the middle of the night and take her out to go pee? How about laying her on a pad or heavy towels at night just in case she has an accident?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you've already had her checked for a UTI, I'd say it's just her age. Her bladder muscles may not be strong enough yet to hold it in all night. If she's deep asleep and relaxed, she probably doesn't even realize she's doing it. Jersey did that a few times as a puppy when she didn't wake up in the middle of the night to go out. What a shocking way to wake up! You may just want to make her get up once and take her out. I know it sucks to wake up to take the dog out, but it will probably better than the time it takes for clean up. I also did like Mom of 2 said. I kept pee pads under her while she slept and kept towels under that, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet did do a urinalysis and it came back clean. She does go everytime she goes out, so her bladder control just isn't quite there yet I'm guessing.

I don't have a problem taking her out overnight. I used to do it, and then she just stopped having to go. I think that's why this is so frustrating because she was doing so good and now this is coming up seemingly out of nowhere. I mentioned to my husband that I'd just set the clock for 2:30 or something and he just complained that it would wake him up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif He was talking about wanting to give her away again tonight when he got home from work. I just told him that I wasn't going to give up on her because she will get better with time, plus she's "mine" so to speak. She attached herself to me, and I just cannot and will not do that to her.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I'm having the same problem with Maggie. A couple of weeks ago she started sleeping through the night, yet this week she has peed our bed twice. She doesn't seem to be doing it in her sleep however, she just wakes up, walks to the end of the bed, and pees.

And she is FAR from being potty trained during the day...it's me who's trained to take her out to go potty every hour or so. Isn't this fun...NOT!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honestly I think it's just her age. Max was just like this at the 5 or 6 month mark. He had been potty trained and we had started allowing him to sleep in bed probably around when he was 4 month then all of sudden he started having accidents in the bed so he had a recrate him after a week or so he let him back in the bed. Even though they are potty trained they are so young at this age sometimes they simply forget specially in the haze of sleep (this is what my vet told me). Sleeping is when max would do it also wether it be in the middle of the night or once he even fell asleep on the coach and did it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My hubbie wanted to give ours away when they were puppies too. But I was already way too connected and attached to them and them to me. They have their set backs from time to time. It takes a lot of work and patience.

do you ever just wake up in the night on your own to go to the bathroom? if so, just wake up puppy and take her outside quietely to go pee.

Put her on a heavy pad or towels in case she has an accident. she will mature and get over this eventually. It is just getting her through this part that is tough.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Meg was like this, but in the end the vet found out her bladder was in the wrong place and so by rights she should be incontinent, but she's not so she does really well and shes fine now. i would say it took her about 1 year to be completly trusted anywhere in the house. we had to throw out our duvet and everything, it was horrible. just keep on with it, it will get right in the end, it will click and all will be well. i have to say there were days when i cried to my husband and said i couldnt cope with her, but now i would never ever get rid of her, i just love her too much, its like kids, they all get there in the end. good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts