Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there am a week away from finally getting my own beagle pup. I have to choose between two abandoned 3 month odd female pups. One Butter, is more a people dog and loves to get in your face and in your lap but am told that she is more dominant but acts more needy seems more attached to the other pup might have minor separation anxiety but is submissive to my lab.

The other, Peanut, is naughty as well but more calm less dominant but more independent. Butter is more interactive with my dog (a 2yr old lab) Peanut is more interested in the surroundings and has so far shown no interest in my dog.

I live in Singapore so there are quite abit of cars around and dog parks are relatively small. I have a relatively large garden (by Singapore standards) but worry that the new pup would somehow escape the fenced garden on the scent of a passing cat or something.

Which would be a better for a new beagle pup. Will the more needy one be more likely to stick around rather then do the houdini?? :D:confused:

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ee Ping

·
Registered
22 Posts
All beagles will run no matter how calm they are i used to be able to take mine in the field bahind my house and let her off the leash but once they hit around 6 months the vet told me that there hunting instincs kick in now shes 8 months and she runs any chance she can i have a runner for her in my yard even tho its fenced in shes a digger they all are and they will find a way out i suggest a runner like i have she can still run but cant escape. By experiance once they run its very hard to catch them.:no:

·
Registered
890 Posts
With Beagles, the more you excercise the, the better they seem to be. Anyhow, they are noses with legs and where the scent is, the nose follows. No matter which beag you get, make sure the fence is beagle proof. Our 2 girls are diggers and we are resorting to lining the fence line with concrete pavers and chicken wire burried in the dirt. They still dig, but at least they aren't getting out. I don't know about other countries, but I know here it is important to have your dogs microchipped so they can be identified. Other countries it may not be common so there isn't a chip network. Collars have a way of coming off.

About the needy or independent part, It is up to you. We tend to have needed beagles. Even if they were independednt before coming to our house, they learn to love the lovin so much they become needy. Thay may not be such a good thing.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We'd take Independent any day. Bodie is always under our feet seeking attention. We often laugh that we've create an "attention *****," but what can you do about it now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well anyway I ended up getting the needy one. She has been a handful house training wise :scary:. She is starting to get the idea that peeing in the garden is good and letting loose in the house is not. I never realised a dog could make so many different sounds. Haha :D:cry: Will post pictures when I figure out how

·
Registered
28 Posts
I must say, I picked adopted a beagle from a rescue shelter. I love him with all my heart...
HOWEVER, he has real strong seperation anxiety and is real needy. If we leave him alone for more than an hour he is almost always going to poop or pee in the house. He does not have the confidence to be alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Beagles do tend to like to be by your side whether they are independent or clingy. But there is a big difference between a calm beagle and one with separation anxiety. My first beagle was super calm and well adjusted, but he did like to follow me all over the house and be where I was. Molly, who we adopted from a shelter and was abused, is clingy and we had lots of separation issues to deal with. Of course they are all different and have their good and bad points.

As for escaping, beagles definately could try to do that, especially when left unattended and not trained so well yet (like a puppy).

I'm glad to hear your yard is fenced, that is a big help! Just check for escape areas :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Beagles are "Velcro dogs." They always want to stick right by you! Beagles are very much "pack dogs," and are so much happier with a buddy. I think you should get both puppies. They will keep each other company - you'll just have to pick up twice as much poop!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts