Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey bernie fans!
ok so i got another call today on my machine.
the lady in charge of bernie said he was doing great. he up trying to walk on his own, but a little wobbling still. hes totally able to send pee mails on his own and thats a good sign she said. hes eating healthy too.
hes been on a strict diet since hes been there.
hes been eating shreaded chicken, veggies and rice. dad has been having mac&cheese. go figure.
mess you back up a little and all of a sudden your eating like a king and surrounded by beautiful girls petting and loving on ya.
on dads dime noless.(jeff's help was a loan)
these [email protected] beagles are spoiled i tell ya.
oh, they said he will probably be strong enough to come home on thurs too. so any helpful hints or tips about after care from you folks that have been through this i'll be greatful. so im off to search the web for a beagle dog suit that will fit me. i have a feeling i'll get sick while wearing said suit and need medical attention and need to be admitted to UGA. :evilgrin:
if the food and girls are good enough for bernie then they are good enough for dad too. my luck the will sneak up on me and give me a "sleepy" shot and i'll wake up in the recovery ward just outside the spay and neuter clinic.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad to hear that Bernie is coming home soon. I am sure you will rest better when he is with you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So glad to hear Bernie is doing better. When will he be able to come home? You have really been through it. My hat's off to you for caring for your baby.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they say he might be strong enough to come home thurs. im so excited to see him. they said hes been the best too. long road to recovery though. but he should be fine. i wish i could just pick him up and squeeze him.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wahoo - so glad to hear Bernie is back on the road to recovery! When Booker had her back surgery in 2002 she stayed at the vet afterwards for about a week - not sure why - but as a result we didn't get her back until she was further along and therefore didn't have any experience right after the surgery like it sounds you are going to have - but my recollection was that the hardest thing was keeping her from doing too much too soon as she started to feel better and wanted to jump up (and down) on the bed etc. again! My memory is that she started to push the boundaries about three or so weeks after the surgery - for the first bit she really was pretty low key about things.

Was Bernie's slipped disk in his neck - I suspect where the surgery was has some impact on the things to be careful about. I do remember with Booker (whose disk was in her neck) - one thing we had to be VERY careful about at first was not letting her fall forward which would have put a lot of pressure onto her neck.

Good luck - I know you will be so happy to see Bernie on Thursday (and he you)!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
booker

no bernies was in his lower 1/5 of his back, down by the tail. yep i too am worried bernie will try to push the limits to soon. hes very spirited. so its crate rest for him for the first 6 weeks. doc calls it "tough love". he says this is a must.
then we will take it a couple days at a time.
im pretty scared about this too. i dont want him to mess himself up again ya know. hes gonna be on the greenbean diet for the rest of his life too.
think is, he loves them. so i guess its no big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
:woohoo:

So glad to hear that Bernie is coming home soon and that he is being treated so well at the SPA at UGA. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

And Dad, keep Bernie on his diet. No mac and cheese for him. Only you.

I would be tempted to squeeze him too. Isn't it amazing how much you physically yearn to be with your beetles when you are away from them? It's that way with all of my dogs.

Keep up the reports!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thats good news.

Your job when you get him home with be to keep him quiet and still for the next few weeks. Crate rest is preferred, but a small room can do as well. No jumping or climbing what so ever. His only walks will be to do his business and then back in. Tough job for a beagle and owner. You will also need to keep his incision clean and dry. The sutures or staples will come out in 2 weeks. Physical therapy will most like be needed. Keep in mind, recovery from this will take time.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
wonderful news for you and Bernie .....Sending out good thoughts for a complete recovery !!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hooray! :bounce: I've been so worried about the little guy! Yes, the cage rest is tough but worth it in the long run! I'm so happy you will be able to cuddle your baby soon! It's so tough to keep them on their diets but it has made walking easier for Ladybug. Too much weight probably wouldn't be good. Murphy's Dad suggested that swimming was the best way to rebuild the muscle mass - couldn't find an indoor pool that would allow my beagle in it and swimming outside in Indiana in winter would be a little chilly. You should be able to take Bernie swimming in GA though. Pretty country and warmer weather. Good luck. Ladybug kisses to Bernie!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha! i like your plan to get girls with the beagle suit. Good Luck with That!

Good luck to Bernie too with his recovery! :thumbup:

We're rootin' for both of ya!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Glad to hear the good Bernie news!!! I knew he would come thru with flying colors. You are truly a good beagle dad.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
:bounce: I'm so glad he is doing well and coming home tomorrow! I know he will be happy to see you and we all know you are excited to see him. Second off, you are too funny. I like the beagle suit idea. I think that would make me laugh so hard! You sure have creative ways of meeting girls. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
:happyhappy: Hooray for Bernie and double-hooray for Bernie's dad! You have done a super job and it is obvious, from the tone of your posting, that you are feeling much relieved. You will do fine with Bernie's recuperation -- you have already done the hard part!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great news! I'm glad to hear that Bernie made it through so wonderfully! I know the struggles of an overweight beagle. My Amber was a good 8 pounds too heavy. It's hard to get the weight down, but it can be done. Find healthy treats, like the green beans, to give him so he won't feel negleted. Good luck with his recovery. I know it's going to be hard work, but it will be worth it when your boy is all better! Beagle hugs and kisses to Bernie from his friends here in Florida!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks folks. yep im pretty excited to see bernie.
hes my baby boy for sure. i wish i knew how to post pics on here. tried to down load that program, but nothing happened after that. i want you guys to see him. i got a pretty funny story to go along with one of them too. bernie almost had to find a new home when he was only a few months old.
lol, im glad ya'll liked my dog suit idea.
as my bad luck would have it, i would be gasping for air in that suit,about to die, and they would thing its a reverse sneeze. lol
yes in the state og ga, you better have lots of $$ if your a single guy or be very creative up until they find out your broke. its just that tough too i promise you.

bernie is broke too. hes even asked to go down to the local shelter and "check out all the homeless chics".
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad to hear Bernie will be back home soon. Belly rubs sent from my pack!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts