Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bernie has a new menu

hey folks

ok,its been a couple of weeks, but i posted about dog foods and flax seed oils. ok i took bernie off of pedigree, and put him on wellness, and now feed him 1/2 a cup less per day. bernie is way over weight remember. he loves this new "dinner" of his. he does cart wheels and flips as im digging in his storage box to get his dinner out.
ok i do know that thats a reaction all beagle have during feeding time, but bernie now executes his cart wheels with such beauty and perfection, that of a seasoned gymnist. ok ok ok, you caught me, i did fib a little, but he just loves this new food of his. so do i . his stool is a much lighter color, he doesnt look like hes straining to get it out either. i like whats in the food as well. good stuff indeed. i too added flax seed oil. i tb spoon every morning.ive noticed his danderif is all but totally gone now. its been 2 weeks for the oil, 1 week for the new food.
theres a flax oil for dogs on the market. im not sure of the difference between it and people grade. theirs comes in a white bottle, ours in a black. ours needs to be in the fridg, theres on a shelf in the cubbard. ok, from what ive learned about flax oil in general, it needs to be kept in the frig, and out of the light. this is why its sold in black bottles. it oxidizes rather quickly by light and very temp unfriendly. so, i went with barleans people flax seed oils. so far so good. anybody have anything to add to this? any comments are welcome. any suggestions? ok, theres the bernie beagle report for the week. hes currently in my bed snoozing his 9PM nap. he says hello, and to keep it down a bit! :hi:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Re: bernie has a new menu

I love reading your posts about Bernie!

Henry is in bed by 9 pm. He usually finishes his late evening nap by 8 pm then takes a break before bedtime! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
322 Posts

My girls Thelma and Louise eat Pedigree. Thelma is overweight slightly. Who makes Wellness and where do you get it? Is your beag an adult? I would like to trim Thelma down a little. The flax seed oil, do you get that at the drug stor? Must have missed the posting on this subject. Glad you are having good results. When was the post about this. Would like to go back and read it. Beth,Bill, Thelma and Louise

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts

I put flax seed ground in my oatmeal or cereal in the morning for breakfast. Perhaps that might be better than putting oil?? I might try that for Charlie.
I got them at Trader Joe, I'm not sure you 've one at your place.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Just be careful about the amount if you give your beagle ground flax seed -- I also have some in my breakfast every day. I put a heaping teaspoon in my food and it "works great" if you know what I mean. I weigh considerably more than Maggie so would have to give her a tiny bit if I tried that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ginger

thank you. bernie is a very big part of my life.

thelma

wellness is made by ole mother hubbard dog foods. its a great product. if you do a search on wellness dog food, you will find it. no junk or fillers in the food either. no byproducts. theres a dealer locator on their website. i have a really cool dogfood compair page. it lists like 50 of the top dog foods on the market and how to compair them. wellness ranked 115. which is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts