Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im worried.
bernie has been showing signs of discomfort these last few weeks. a yelp here and there. still 90 mph though. so i crate rested him for about 4 days to see if maybe hes over done himself. no help. you gotta remember hes still recovering from spinal surgery 10 months ago or so. i dropped him off at the doc's office this morning on my way to work. stressed all day over this.the possibilities of him hurting yet another disk will always be there. i knew this.
ok so its time to go pick up my bestest friend and hear the results of his xrays.
the doc showed me the xrays. what he showed me was arthritis. no busted disk. (thank God)
he explained things pretty good actually.
he wants to give bernie a adequan shot. have any of you delt with this? then he highly suggested a life long treatment of glyco-flex. its a glucosamine supplement. it has 500mg of glucosamine in it. right away i went and bought bernie 2000mg tablets of regular glucosamine by a company called schiffer. he said those might do for now. bernie is down stairs resting on the bed i made in the floor. yes like after his surgery i made a bed to sleep next to him while he was on cage rest. ok heres where i welcome your questions and more importantly, your comments and ideas on this. please feel free to offer any ideas and experiences you might have. both good or bad, i need to know. im really interested in hearing from murphy's dad and any others that might have had a beagle come down with this after disk surgery. so please, your advice is greatly needed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Awww, Bernie. So sorry to hear about your arthritis. It's common for people to get arthritis where they've had surgery or broken bones, so I guess our canine companions can have that happen too.

As for the treatment. I've never had any experience with the surgury side, but I've had plenty of experience with arthritis. My Amber girl had serious hip dysplasia and a lot of arthritis. She did get Adequan injections which helped a lot. I also gave her supplements, which helped as well. The one I used was called SynoviCre. I used the soft chews and they smelled awful but they really helped her. The combination of the shots and supplements really made her a lot more comfortable. Hope that helped some. Give Bernie some extra belly rubs from me and Jersey. I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jen

i just want to know if bernie will have a quality life or what. doc says yes if i follow the treatments. bernies colon is also backed way up too. big time backed up. i wonder if i should give him a mild laxitive? doc said it was from him not being comfortable enough to squat to go poo. forgot to ask doc about that part.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
RC-

Great to hear from you, even though I can hear the worry in your post about Bernie! I can't offer any advice, but rest assured Bernie will be in my prayers.

It's heartbreaking when our pups hurt, just like kids, we wish WE could take on their pain. I hope the treatments work quickly to make Bernie feel better.

By the way, Maggie recently underwent anal gland surgery, and my vet gave her hairball medicine to reduce her constipation. It's basically a mixture of vaseline and codliver oil; she wouldn't lick it off my finger like the directions said, but I added it to her food and it helped. I would call your vet to ask about his colon problems; I believe a stool softener might work also. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
786 Posts
RC-

My shephard was on adequan for her hips. It really did help her and as my vet said if her arthritis was less when we started the shots she would have even been better. It did helped her become more limber and no pain.

I think Bernie will find it helpful!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Bernie. I haven't had experience with arthritis in my beagles - however, I did have a Keeshond who had problems with arthritis the last year of her life. We did give her a glucosomine supplement which seemed to help. I can tell you from personal experience, that glucsomine has helped me. You can get "doggie" glucosomine tabs at many pet stores - or online from Dr. Foster & Smith, PetEdge and I suspect from many other vet supply companies. They're "flavored" chewables.
Positive thoughts being sent for Bernie! I know how I feel when one of my babies has a problem. I've raised two kids and two grandkids, and now am owned by ten beagles - and having a sick pup is just like having a sick "skinkid" - it hurts US almost as much as it does them.
My best wishes to you and Bernie!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Bernie! Poor you! Maggie has arthritis in her back knees. In 8/06 she had a series of Adequan shots (3 all together, one week apart). They improved her pain level considerably. I also started her on Cosequin tablets (a glucosamine/chondroitin combo -- now my vet prescribes Dasequin, an upgraded version). What my vet said, at the time Maggie got the shots, was that, if necessary, we could repeat a shot as a booster -- we have never had to do that. When I see Maggie moving particularly slow or having trouble getting moving in the morning, I give her a small dose of Deramaxx -- because of her liver disease, I limit this to when absolutely necessary.
From what my vet has said and my reading on the subject, I think arthritis in our pups is definitely manageable and does not necessarily limit quality of life. If your vet is recommending the Adequan, I would go for it but do ask him about a series of three instead of just the one. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Bernie, hope you get to feeling better real soon. I'm not sure what that shot is. Is it a steriod shot? Sadie got several of thoses when she was in back pain. And ours take Glocosomine suppliments. Sadie has been fine luckily since her disk problems a year ago.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
jen

i just want to know if bernie will have a quality life or what. doc says yes if i follow the treatments. bernies colon is also backed way up too. big time backed up. i wonder if i should give him a mild laxitive? doc said it was from him not being comfortable enough to squat to go poo. forgot to ask doc about that part.
RC, Bernie can most definitely have quality of life. Amber got around great for years while taking the supplements. She had severe hip dysplasia. Her one hip had virtually no socket. Instead of a C shaped socket with the ball of her hip bone in it, she had a socket that was almost flat, just a slight curve to it. There was no cartilege in it and basically the bone rubbed against the socket with every step she took. If it helped her, I have faith that it will help Bernie. I wasn't taking Amber on any 5 mile runs, but she could handle a decent walk up until the last few years of her life (but that had more to do with her other health conditions than it did the arthritis). Just make sure you follow your doctors directions for dosing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow thanks folks for all the replies.
mom of 2, the shot is Adequan. hear say its almost a wonder drug. ive put bernie on glucosomine for now. the people version. it seems to be helping a great deal. he back to 90mph. was down for a couple days. this dogs doesnt know what brakes are. hard to keep him under 60. lol
the shot the doc said was in 4 doses. he said it would cost $400 or around. please tell me, does that sound about right? the reason i ask is the other day when he got his xrays, i was quoated $200. when i got there to pick him up it was $425. i about lost it. so please tell me if this price sounds in the right ball park.
was really looking forward to hearing from murphy'sdad on this. he was great help through bernies surgery, as you all were. is everything ok with him and the pups?
oh, happy valentines to all the beagle moms out there too.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I have never heard of this. Maybe it is something new. I don't know about the price for it. I looked it up though and here is a little about it:

I'm talking about the veterinary drug called Adequan Canine.

Excerp from the Internet: "Adequan is an injectable substance known as a "polysulfated glycosaminoglycan," and is very similar to the more familiar oral supplement known as glucosamine. Adequan has been proven to be preferentially taken up by inflamed joints when injected into the dog's muscles. It soothes and lubricates the joint, naturally reducing inflammation and pain by reducing friction. Even better, instead of just masking pain as NSAIDs do, it actually helps to rebuild cartilage in the damaged joint. It's not just pain control, it's therapy.

"To make the "miracle" tag even more appropriate, Adequan does this without much in the way of potential side effects. Some humans who have used Adequan on themselves (there is no human version licensed in the United States) report that it stings a little; it upsets some dogs' stomachs for a while after the injection, and in very rare cases it can cause low platelets – a condition that is reversed upon stopping the drug.

Adequan has one major drawback: The price. My hope is that if more vets started using and recommending it, the cost could come down. My vet lets me order it wholesale through her practice, and then just charges me a few dollars for the injections. Some vets will order it for you and let you give the injections yourself at home, but it's an intramuscular injection and I'm not comfortable doing those."

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
the shot the doc said was in 4 doses. he said it would cost $400 or around. please tell me, does that sound about right?
RC: I went back and checked my vet bills from when Mags had her Adequan shots -- she actually had 5 shots (didn't remember there were so many)and the cost was $113.20 for all 5. That was in 7/2006 -- even with inflation, $400 sounds steep.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
RC, I don't remember exactly what the cost was for Amber's Adequan shots, but I know it was not $400. Granted, that was a good 10 years ago, but still, $400 sounds mighty expensive. You may want to check around and see if any other vets around offer them at a lower price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts