Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks, im new to the forum, and would like to ask a few questions in reguards to my roommate, bernie beagle. he 4 yrs old, and hes pretty fat, to fat actually. what are you folks feeding the fat boys out there, to help them lose weight?
could this be a medical issue?hes a bigger beagle though, very wide chested too, but hes just darn fat. am i just feeding him to much? how much do you feed a beagle anyways?2 cups a day right?

next question.
bernie has started to pee on the carpet too. nothing has changed in his world recently either. nothing at all. i just read that beagles are prone to kidney failure and cancer. hes pretty energetic at play time, and could eat 3 horses a day if ya let him. does this peeing sound like kidney failure or cancer to anyone? how common are these for beagles?

are there any vitimins you folks give your beagles? i noticed over the years hes become nasally too. lol, is this common? snores like thunder, and just kinda snorts every so often.
ok, im gonna set back and wait for replies. thank you in advance for your replies.

rick

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My vet thought my Maggie was on the road to becoming overweight so he had me cut back to a cup a day. She gets raw baby carrots, green beans and other veggies for snacks. I'm not sure she's lost any weight but she has stopped gaining. I think the kids feel sorry for her and slip her snacks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks folks. bernie, as far as i know, has just started his peeing issues. its generally by the front door. im very worried about this since i read the kidney failure thing on another site.
hes a great dog by anybodies standards too.
beag (nickname) is my buddy, and i just want him in the best of health. as far as his being fat goes, maybe i dont walk him long enough. im gonna try to walk him longer.he has the energy of a grade school kid too.but thank you for the replies. i hope others will chim in on these issues too.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Obesity is a common problem with our beloved Beags. As Beags age, they tend to get lazy, just like us. But they NEVER loose that voracious appetite of theirs. The combination leads to a rather large Beagle.

Health problems can become more acute and dangerous because of the added weight. We let Vinny get on the "porky" side. We began to feed him Purina Pro Plan Weight Management dry and canned. He gets 1/2 cup of dry in the morning and 1/2 cup dry, with a tablespoon of the canned in the evening. He has trimmed down from 36 pounds down to 29 pounds currently.

Snoring can also be a result of being overweight. The urinating inside could also be related some how to being "weight challenged". Although, I think Vinny snored the first night we had him (12 weeks old).

Take your Beagle for a walk every day to get some exercise and begin to stimulate his metabolism back to life. Exercise is as good for the dog as it is for us. We have a fenced backyard, so Vinny and Miles get alot of exercise chasing each other.

Good luck to both of you. :cool2:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Rick and Bernie, welcome!

I am not a beagle expert but I will throw in my 2 cents.

My Henry, age about 2-5 years old when we rescued him last year, was a sick stray when he came to us.

He weighed 17.3 pounds (5 pounds were probably heartworms :freak: ).

A year later, he weighs 31 pounds. He is active in the early day then sofa surfs with his older sister for the second half...he does take play breaks in between. To look at him, he doesn't look fat or roly-poly. He gets dog food, nothing fancy, and dog treats. Rare table food in microscopic amounts.

He snores like a lion...almost sounds like a human with sleep apnea. And he has his episodes of backwards sneezes.

Of course, he needs to loose weight but we will be happy to keep him from getting fatter.

No peeing problems (knock on wood) now that he is housetrained. If this is new, a vet visit might be in order.

Send pics...please!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!!

My Maggie recently began having accidents in the house (although she was doing it in a spare bedroom and I didn't figure it out at first). Bladder Infections and stones as well as kidney problems are a possibility for your dog; or he could just be having some behavior issues.

The only way to figure it out is at the vet....Maggie had to be tested for infections and stones with a urinalysis and x-rays. She had no stones, but she DID have a bladder infection. If your beag has an infection, antibiotics are a must....infections in males can become very painful.

I wish you luck.....

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I know it seems cruel, but try to reduce his weight. Give him just one cup a day- I think this is the same as one 400 gramm can? Or buy special weight reduction food and feed according to the packet. He might beg for food but be firm.
Peeing is not always a sign of ill health, if concerned go to the vet. He/she can also tell you how much to feed. Our Snoopy pees in the house as part of a territorial issue. Susi has accidents.
Good luck anyway and welcome to BW.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Rick,

First... Welcome to the BW pack!

Second, take Bernie to a vet. Let the vet tell you how much/how often Bernie should be fed. Many of us here have chubby beagles and our vets have given different solutions depending on our beagles. Two things you will have to do, exercise him more and reduce or eliminate his intake of people food and treats. Kibble only.

As for peeing at the door, could be he just had to go and couldn't get out to do so, or simply a urinary tract infection (also see a vet).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to you and Bernie! I definitely agree that a visit to the vet is in order. Don't scare yourself by reading stuff on the web -- it is too easy to start imagining all sorts of problems when it might be something very simple to clear up and handle. I do have a 11 1/2 year old chunky beagle (sorry, Mags ...) -- we have struggled with her weight for many years. One thing I learned early on is that you don't go by the recommended amounts on the outside of the dog food bag -- the company wants to sell dog food, not keep your dog trim. Another suggestion: never, ever get started with table scraps. It is SO hard to stop when those adoring eyes are looking at you. My Maggie is now on prescription weight control dog food and only gets low-fat treats inbetween.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
First Hello and welcome to Beagle World! :wave:

Is your beagle active? The beagle breed is meant to be active, especially if he's a "field" beagle. If he's not getting the exercise he needs it could be a major contributing factor to him being over weight.

I agree with Judy. Don't scare yourself by reading horror stories on the web. Take your dog to a vet you trust if there's ever any concern in your mind.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We have always struggled with keeping Booker's weight down - her former owners said she started getting chunky at eight months of age and hasn't looked back since (Booker and I have a lot in common...). She is now on Hills Prescription Diet R/D - one cup a day - and a few dog and people treats (our achilles heel... we admit) but she still will creep up in weight if we don't watch it. Her highest ever was 39 pounds, but we try to keep her in the low thirties if we can. She had surgery recently so hasn't been as active as we would like and is at about 36 pounds now... but hopefully going down soon.

Moose is a very different story. When we rescued him he was 26 pounds soaking wet (which may seem a lot but he is quite a tall beagle so he looked really skinny at that weight - knock-kneed and all). We fed him the same Innova chow as Booker (this was before she went on Prescription Diet) and the same dog and people treats we fed Booker (we soon realized that they kept track of what the other got - perhaps even by size and weight! - and would protest if one got more than the other). Notwithstanding that he and Booker essentially ate the same amount and their activity levels were not significantly different, Booker ballooned up and Moosie stayed right around 26 pounds. All that changed when he hit 5 years old, however, and it was like his metabolism changed overnight and his weight started to go up just like Booker's. Now both are on one cup of Prescription Diet a day and we try to resist their constant pleas for treats.

Weigh-ins at the vet are never something we look forward too... at least we do have skinny Popcorn as well so that it doesn't look quite as much like we are completely inept at keeping our beagles from getting fat!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: I'm always happy to see a fellow Georgian join our little world. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif You've already received any good advice I could give you. Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, lots of advise on here. ok, i admit bernie dont get lots of exercise. my shifts at work has gotten longer. trying to rework that now. hes about 42lbs. but like i said, hes a very stout beagle. we have started to walk more/longer as of last week. but im not sure if i should let him walk and sniff as we go, or should i be power walking him? he eats pedigree in the yellow bag. he gets no table scraps at all. period. some bits of oranges or apples from time to time though :rolleyes: . cant keep the kid from everything now can i? im not good at posting pics on web sites, but i have a few that you folks would really enjoy.bernie is a ham!

another issue.
how is it i can get "topic reply" notices via email from here? i do have it checked in my profile. no they are not going to my spam filter, im just not getting them.
oh, thank you for all the "welcomes" too. im glad to see that im not the only one out there that has a beagle thats impacted their lives.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
but im not sure if i should let him walk and sniff as we go, or should i be power walking him?
Rick: For the longest time I just took Maggie out on "sniffs", not walks. I have realized that this was not healthy for her or me. Now I let her sniff, pee & poop during the first few minutes and then we power walk for the remainder of our walks. Since I have some physical limitations, our power walk portion is limited to about 15 minutes. On the way home Maggie is huffing and puffing but definitely less than she did when we started this routine. The first week I tried changing her walks, she really balked and got lots of jerks on her leash. Now she just trots along and seems quite happy with the faster pace.
Re posting pics: there is a new section on this forum devoted to this. The "how to's" there should help you get started. I will leave the "topic reply" issue to others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts