Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres whats been going on.
ive noticed over the last few weeks that bernie has been acting strange. hes been as playful as ever, but just a lil strange. so i pay it no never mind. honestly, its probably just me. so in the last 2 days, ive noticed hes been a little withdrawn (sp) and kinda second guesses himself as he jumps up on the bed. this is not like him. he can jump for a fat dog thats for sure. when he does jump on the bed its like he almost didnt make it. so off to the doc we go. its a new doc hes never seen before. i explain to the doc what seems to be the problem. he takes bernie from the lil room we are setting in, you know the one, and off they go. a bit later he comes back with bernie, all shots caught up, stool sample and heart worm tests negitive. he says bernie seems to be in good health. i mentioned a blood test, but the doc said he didnt think bernie needed one. he did mention that bernie's knee was popped out a bit. i asked him how that could have happened. he said he was either born with it, or, hes injured it somehow. bernie doesnt seem to be in any kind of pain ok. so i bring him home and off to work i go. well, i come home and bernie isnt jumping about like he normally is when i come home. hes acting kinda lathargic(sp) shivering. yes i left the windows open and it was pretty cold in the house. so i bring him upstairs to feed him. hes not his happy go lucky self at dinner time. just kinda like "ok, i'll eat".
so im still worried something is wrong. hes just kinda standoffish still yet. now he cant jump up on the bed at all. im wondering if the shots he got today might be causing this? anybody ever experience this with any of their kids?
does this sound like cancer or a kidney problem? ive read on the web that beagles are very prone to both of these. so now im tripping out on it.
but he just dont seem himself. just kinda, unhappy in a way. anybody have any advise on this for us?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ill be honest with you...a beagle who doesnt jump or act normal motor wise is a beagle who has a back/spinal problem.....until proven otherwise..

This seems to be a common topic on this board, but if he will not jump up and is acting weird, you have to get his back checked out..go back to the vet or to another one..

If it is nothing, great...if is IS something, then NOW is the time to fix it..

Better to be aggressive NOW than when somethin irreversible happens.

Good luck to you and Please keep us up to date.

Amanda and Snoopy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply.

the vet was worried at first that that might be the problem. but he came back out a little later and said we was no longer worried that beag had a spinal problem. said he was more worried that bernie was 15 lbs over weight. i just know he sure is acting funny though. i could be over reacting though. im well known for that too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi
I have just read your post and would also think spinal problems.My boy Griff was acting a bit like this last year and the Vet has diagnosed Spondylosis in his neck and lower back.The shivering was a reaction to the pain,he has been on a NSAIDS since last August and is now moving about happily.
I have also in the past had hounds with Disc problems and the symptoms were similar.
Hope you find out what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Shivering is most likely a sign of pain. Please don't let Bernie do any jumping or running until you've seen your vet. YOU know your dog, and you've noticed the change in behavior....and don't let anyone convince you it's nothing. Extra weight can certainly affect joints and backs; Beagle are prone to back problems which can become serious (see Joe's story about Murphy's struggles at his website)

Bernie is lucky to have a dad who cares so much....

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Ricksconnected!

I agree with the others. Bernie doesn't feel good and although it's already known that he needs to loose a few pounds, the shivering is new and a sign that something is different.

Bring him back to the vet, or another vet, and ask him politely to look again.

Oh...you mentioned cancer. Although cancer can be sneaky and can present different ways in different dogs, weight loss and decreased appetite are two things that frequently present.

My guess is that Bernie is in pain secondary to his weight and that doesn't mean that the vet should just write it off to known weight loss...and leave it at that. He still owes Bernie a good exam, baseline blood work and a pain reliever.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Rick,

I would have thought it was a back problem as well, but when you said 15 lbs over weight, that is a problem in itself. 15lbs is about 50% of a beagles weight. Did your vet suggest a weight loss program. Keep in mind that extra weight has to be carried by Bernie's legs and back. If it hasn't already caused a problem, it can later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd ask for some x-rays looking for any spinal issues, as well as any arthritis. Oscar was ouchy and not feeling well and we did x-rays and found some arthritis in one of his hips. He's now on a glucosamine (sp?) supplement and is feeling much better.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey folks.

bernie is on new food, by about a month. its wellness dog food. the doc suggested that i split bernies eating in two. 1 cup in the morning, 3/4 cup at night. 2 long walks a day minimum. baby carrots, not treats. i never seen them do anything to bernie, they just took him in the back and brought him of 15 minutes later. we waited a bit for the heart worm and stool sample tests to develop. ok, bernie avoids the stairs now. slow to go up and down. but trots about any other time. hes was just up on the couch, when he jumped down, he yelped a bit. hes not favoring any leg or anything either. so im stuck on what to do at this point.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.... oh, he still seems like he dont want to be in the same room as i am. that part kills me. usually he wont leave me alone. ive not noticed any shivering from last night til i got home from work today. now hes shivering again. whats up with that?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would take him to the Vet ASAP.It definately sounds like he is in pain.When mine have had this type of problem they have also wanted to spend time alone.Explain to the Vet what is going on and suggest X-rays this will show if it is a spinal problem,if it is it can take a long time for the meds to work so you will need to be patient.Last year it took a good six weeks before we got Griff's pain under control.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
When my babies shiver they are in pain. The last time Sadie was shivering we took her to the vet and they found out she had the herniated disk in her back. Also she was walking extremely slow and sniff. But I believe shivering in doggies means they are in pain. Go to a trusted vet. Good luck and let us know how it goes. It always seems like things come up over the weekends.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with everyone else. It sounds to me like Bernie's in pain. When Amber had her back issues she didn't want to be around anyone. She'd go off on her own and that was a sign to me that she was hurting. Better safe than sorry...I'd take him back to (or to another) vet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
well, sounds like you are really stuck here!
I have to say I agree with getting some things checked out more. I know the cost can be high but what else do you do? If my beags left the room when I came in or were shivering a bit, I would be upset too. Usually when they get shots or get poked and prodded at the vet they are a little unhappy but only briefly, actually generally they cling to me more (of course, I am a mamma beagle according to them)
Can you get a hold of a vet that your beagle has seen before? Or just check around and maybe a vet school could help you?

Good luck and keep us updated
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i just put him in the bed to lay down with him. comfort him. i rolled him over to pet his belly and the screaming began. i freaked out. i called the emergency vet. talked with a girl that really wouldnt answer any questions if i wouldnt bring him in. she did tell me that cancer wasnt ruled out. for those that have been through this, is cancer really possible in this? does it sound like it is cancer? he has been acting kinda strange for a couple of weeks, but extremely playful too. its just been these last 3 days that hes been down and out so to speak.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
Shivering is most likely a sign of pain. Please don't let Bernie do any jumping or running until you've seen your vet. YOU know your dog, and you've noticed the change in behavior....and don't let anyone convince you it's nothing. Extra weight can certainly affect joints and backs; Beagle are prone to back problems which can become serious (see Joe's story about Murphy's struggles at his website)

Bernie is lucky to have a dad who cares so much....
where do i find thios web site? oh i do care for bernie beagle. hes all i have in this world. hes my bestest friend and theres no limits i wont go for him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For Murphy's website, go up to the toolbar right under the "Beagle World" banner -- click on "other links" and then on "Murphys World" but DON'T PANIC!! You will drive yourself nuts if you start thinking about all the "what ifs". It does sound like Bernie may have hurt his back. You will have to use your judgment about taking him to the emergency vet. If you can keep him very quiet and limit his mobility, i.e., no jumping at all, and he is peeing, pooping, eating, drinking as normal, you might be able to wait until Monday. However, Monday morning I would take him to the vet that knows him the first thing. X-rays will rule in or out back problems. If all looks good, you definitely need to get some weight off of Bernie -- weight reduction is very tough with a beagle but so important. As Murphy's Dad said, extra weight leads to problems down the road. Remember -- you are the responsible adult here -- Bernie can't decide on his own to go on a diet! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Let us know how Bernie is tomorrow and stay calm.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Oh Bernie baby, it does sound like a hurt back. We are going through this now with our Sadie. I know what you mean about calling the emergency vets. They really won't give advise over the phone.

Everyone, if he decided to wait to see his regular vet on Monday morning, what about a baby aspirin? I have given this to mine in a pinch.

thanks,

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i found the web-site. dear lord, here i set, boo-hooing like a big baby. that poor child has a rough go of it hasnt he? joe, whom ever you are, you deserve a big hug. i know i know, yes im a guy. but im 6ft 5in tall, 300 lbs. you wouldnt have much of a choice bro. :raspberry:
you walked with that child every step of the way. hand in hand i bet.murphy would get an even bigger hug too. that story just broke my heart.
i cant recall any time that ive ever been in tears of sadness, but end up with a smile on my face. what a dog! what a pet!(being joe of course)
this is an amazing story. one the grace of my own words cant equal. as you know, im a story teller myself. which im not sure is a good thing, cause they are all true. most of which are not fit for this forum. :freak:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts